what happens when OTAs come once rooted/unlocked?

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like VZ (amongst other carriers) is pushing a 4.4.3 OTA.

Does anyone have any experience and/or recommendations as to what we should do to prepare our phones if they're rooted/unlocked so we can receive the OTA and keep root in as painless a situation as possible?

Thanks,
AJ

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
You really shouldn't accept an OTA if you're rooted/unlocked. Flash a stock rooted ROM so you don't get the notification and just flash a ROM update when it comes out. Devs usually have updates ready before carriers do anyway :)

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
That's a very valid point. I may have been lazy when I unlocked my phone. I have to reach into some brain cells that beer probably killed-off to remember exactly what I did. ;)

Thanks for the quick reply.

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I have to reach into some brain cells that beer probably killed-off to remember exactly what I did. ;)
Probably bad form to reply to my own post, but...looks like I d/l'ed the stock ROM (probably the developer model/version) and installed that post-unlock. Wonder how VZ will "see" that?

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Interestingly enough, the OTA is supposed to be 4.4.3, and all the ROMs I see on XDA are 4.4.2-based, so Moto is actually ahead of the field here.

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com
You really shouldn't accept an OTA if you're rooted/unlocked. Flash a stock rooted ROM so you don't get the notification and just flash a ROM update when it comes out. Devs usually have updates ready before carriers do anyway :)
That would be more true for those with a Locked Bootloader who have rooted.

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com
Sounds like VZ (amongst other carriers) is pushing a 4.4.3 OTA.

Does anyone have any experience and/or recommendations as to what we should do to prepare our phones if they're rooted/unlocked so we can receive the OTA and keep root in as painless a situation as possible?

Thanks,
AJ
If you are bootloader unlocked and rooted, you'll be OK to take an OTA and re-root later, BUT there are conditions to this.

You need stock recovery to install an OTA. If you don't have it, you'll get stuck in a boot loop. (boot to recovery and erase cache to get out of it)

The OTA will look for certain files (by comparing check sums) to be on your phone. If they are not there, or are not the check sum they expect, it will fail. So you need to be as close to "stock" as possible. You have to put back any BLOAT you might have deleted, renamed, etc. Undo any build.prop changes, or other mods.

Really, rather than retype.. Please just read -> Mark_Venture's Verizon Phone Info Page

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Is there a known setting or app that will auto-decline an OTA for me so I don't have to deal with it in the case VZ sends it? (Or I get offered it and I fat-finger the wrong "OK" / "Not Now" buttons?)

Thanks again,
AJ

EDIT: I feel like I asked this exact same question before (probably for a different phone)...is there some existing app/service I should disable with Ti Backup that will effectively just never check for OTAs or something?

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com
If you are rooted.. yes. Find the 3C_OTA.APK and rename it to... 3C_OTA.APK.BAK and reboot. its in /system/app or /system/priv-app

I don't recall what it is called to freeze with Ti Backup

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie