MotoMaker AT&T exclusive till November

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Am I the only one who thinks there's no way this goes smoothly and November ends up turning into January.
"Sorry, no holiday phone for you, but here's a $5 Google Play gift card for your troubles"

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Ansel Adams would've killed to have an aperture as narrow as your vision.

The only people who are upset about any of this news are those that have been waiting around for months while the rumor mill spun. Unfortunately, tech nerds left to their own devices and imaginations will create fantasies of gigawatt, ultracustom superphones that will be sold immediately after they're announced, off-contract, unlocked, for about five cents. Wake up, you goons.

Why won't this phone "flop?" Because the people who DON'T follow this trivial news (read: the average consumer, who represents are far larger market than the devout members of this forum) will walk into the store during the holiday season without knowing this phone even exists and proceed to have their pants blown right off their collective butts. Believe it or not, but the holiday season represents a ton of new phone/contract sales. If you do the math, and it's really not that difficult, there are loads of people whose contracts expire right around....get this...NOVEMBER.

Crazy, I know, I know. It's almost like people smarter than you planned this.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

The only people who are upset about any of this news are those that have been waiting around for months while the rumor mill spun. Unfortunately, tech nerds left to their own devices and imaginations will create fantasies of gigawatt, ultracustom superphones that will be sold immediately after they're announced, off-contract, unlocked, for about five cents. Wake up, you goons.

Why won't this phone "flop?" Because the people who DON'T follow this trivial news (read: the average consumer, who represents are far larger market than the devout members of this forum) will walk into the store during the holiday season without knowing this phone even exists and proceed to have their pants blown right off their collective butts. Believe it or not, but the holiday season represents a ton of new phone/contract sales. If you do the math, and it's really not that difficult, there are loads of people whose contracts expire right around....get this...NOVEMBER.

Good points...except no one in this thread said anything about giga anything, superphone anything, off-contract, unlocked or what the price is. So your whole first paragraph is misdirected.
Second, yes the holidays represent a big sales period, but I'm pretty sure they're gonna try to sell phones before then, you know with the whole $500 million on advertising. And you might be unaware of this, but contracts also expire in August, September and October...pretty goofy, huh? But yeah, just wait until the holidays because there won't be any new phones out between now and then, I mean nobody is excited about the new LG that was just announced, and there's no new iPhone right around the corner...nope no competition at all for the X. Windows of opportunity never close in the tech world.
Motorola Mobility has posted a net loss every year since 2007 and they just screwed up big time...again. Crazy, I know I know...

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If you do the math, and it's really not that difficult, there are loads of people whose contracts expire right around....get this...NOVEMBER.

Not disagreeing with you on any aspect other then above. There are tons of people who have their contracts expire in any given month of the year. I have 9 family members alone that expired in June. Show us some figures. I just think its ridiculous that its an exclusive. There is no reason for that. You know what, Samsung will still be better off, their name is plastered in everyone's eyes because so many people have their phones, same goes for apple. The more hands you have holding this phone before the holiday season will equate to higher product recognition. Especially since there's an ability to make this phone stand out with its colorful array of backplates. I've been waiting for years for Motorola to come out with a great new product, and I'm sure there have been many before me. Motorola was and I believe is still a top notch company. The made the Startac for gods sake! :)

And just an hour ago, I quote you.

I just want the damn thing to release already.

Well your gonna have to wait just like everyone else.(unless your AT&T) Sometime in November you'll get yours if you are going with black or white.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Believe it or not, but the holiday season represents a ton of new phone/contract sales. If you do the math, and it's really not that difficult, there are loads of people whose contracts expire right around....get this...NOVEMBER.

And before November, Motorola will be able to generate word of mouth about the device and its capabilities because the black and white models will be on all the carriers (along with the custom versions on AT&T). I think that is important because, again, from the reviews, it really seems like people start to like the phone more as they spend more time using it. Of course, I could be completely wrong.

I don't like the exclusivity of MotoMaker, but I don't think it completely dooms the device. Last I checked, people are still interested in phones months after they've been released. Motorola just has to make sure maintain the device's visibility this fall.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
And before November, Motorola will be able to generate word of mouth about the device and its capabilities because the black and white models will be on all the carriers (along with the custom versions on AT&T). I think that is important because, again, from the reviews, it really seems like people start to like the phone more as they spend more time using it. Of course, I could be completely wrong.

I would totally agree with you if it wasn't for the fact that Google is heavily advertising the "designed by you" aspect of the phone. I think people who go in with no preference or expectations for any phone will be blown away by it, but there will be many many people who will go in specifically to design their own and will be upset that they can't.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Good points...except no one in this thread said anything about giga anything, superphone anything, off-contract, unlocked or what the price is. So your whole first paragraph is misdirected.
Same people make the same complaints. I'm not going to pick targets when I can just nuke the lot of ya.
Second, yes the holidays represent a big sales period, but I'm pretty sure they're gonna try to sell phones before then, you know with the whole $500 million on advertising. And you might be unaware of this, but contracts also expire in August, September and October...pretty goofy, huh?
They're going to try to sell phones, and they will sell phones. First, they'll sell custom phones through Moto Maker on the nation's second largest network, while simultaneously selling "vanilla" color options on the others. Then, come the holiday season, all features will be available to everyone. How many people do you think are going to walk into a Verizon store the day the Moto X is released and crap their pants because they can't make it purple? I'd genuinely like to know.
But yeah, just wait until the holidays because there won't be any new phones out between now and then, I mean nobody is excited about the new LG that was just announced, and there's no new iPhone right around the corner...nope no competition at all for the X. Windows of opportunity never close in the tech world.
Go stand outside of a grocery store and start a poll. Without giving details, just ask everyone who walks out, "On a scale of 1-10 how excited are you about the new LG G2?" I guarantee your most common response will be *silence*, followed next by "what the hell are you talking about?" The iPhone is a different story, but we all know how that ends.

I also wasn't aware that the availability of Moto Maker on one carrier was mutually exclusive with Moto X sales on the others. Perhaps this is due to my inexperience in travelling to parallel universes.

Motorola Mobility has posted a net loss every year since 2007
I'd like to see the most recent financials if you have them.
and they just screwed up big time....again
Well, since you're better at this stuff maybe you can apply for a job there. Be sure to detail your alternative marketing strategy in your cover letter.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
And just an hour ago, I quote you.
Well your gonna have to wait just like everyone else.(unless your AT&T) Sometime in November you'll get yours if you are going with black or white.
I did say that, but a quote is rarely as meaningful when delivered out of context.

I want them to release the device a) so everyone will stop postulating and discussing hypotheticals, and b) so I can pit its performance against other devices to see if I want to purchase it.

I will happily wait until November for Moto Maker to come to Verizon. Or not. Because I don't care.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Same people make the same complaints. I'm not going to pick targets when I can just nuke the lot of ya.
They're going to try to sell phones, and they will sell phones. First, they'll sell custom phones through Moto Maker on the nation's second largest network, while simultaneously selling "vanilla" color options on the others. Then, come the holiday season, all features will be available to everyone. How many people do you think are going to walk into a Verizon store the day the Moto X is released and crap their pants because they can't make it purple? I'd genuinely like to know.
Go stand outside of a grocery store and start a poll. Without giving details, just ask everyone who walks out, "On a scale of 1-10 how excited are you about the new LG G2?" I guarantee your most common response will be *silence*, followed next by "what the hell are you talking about?" The iPhone is a different story, but we all know how that ends.

I also wasn't aware that the availability of Moto Maker on one carrier was mutually exclusive with Moto X sales on the others. Perhaps this is due to my inexperience in travelling to parallel universes.

I'd like to see the most recent financials if you have them.
Well, since you're better at this stuff maybe you can apply for a job there. Be sure to detail your alternative marketing strategy in your cover letter.

You're really not nuking anybody. You're sounding foolish by making posts that have absolutely nothing to do with the thread you're posting in.

Yes, they'll sell phones on the second largest carrier, they'll also lose sales on the largest carrier when people want to customize their phone and they can't...which is the problem. I can't predict the future, but I will guarantee there will be some upset people. No I don't know how many, but they will be there.I hope its not significant because I would love to see the phone do well, I just fear that it will be a significant number.
I'm guessing that right now about 1 out of 100 would be excited about the LG. You know why? They haven't started advertising it yet!! Once they do it will be a different story. I know its an odd concept that people would have never heard of a phone that hasn't been advertised, but it actually happens in the real world.

Motorola Annual Reports/Proxy - Motorola USA

There you go. Knock yourself out, buddy.

You'll excuse me if I don't want to apply for a job at a company that is reporting losses year after year when I believe they just made a huge mistake that will cost the lots of sales. I'd rather stay working at the company I'm at now that has seen almost 400% growth in the last 4 years.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

My prediction that this device will flop is based on working in wireless for years. Over half of all consumers getting a new device in November/December will get the new iPhone. Thanks to Samsung's now well known brand recognition you will have another 35 or so percent of consumers going with the gs4/note 3. HTC has managed to make some noise about the ONE and if it ever lands on Verizon it will sell pretty well. The new LG G2 will catch a few eyes although it would take some big time advertising to get the name out to average consumers. You have a hand full of bb loyalists as well as windows phone but not enough to make a difference. This is what the moto x is up against and I haven't even mentioned the carrier exclusivity or the fact that it is a mid range device at the price of the new iPhone or gs4. Rumor is there will be a new mid range iPhone available in several different colors possibly priced around 99 on a 2 year agreement. So yes I can say with confidence, in the market Motorola is targeting with the x, they will not do very well.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
My prediction that this device will flop is based on working in wireless for years. Over half of all consumers getting a new device in November/December will get the new iPhone. Thanks to Samsung's now well known brand recognition you will have another 35 or so percent of consumers going with the gs4/note 3. HTC has managed to make some noise about the ONE and if it ever lands on Verizon it will sell pretty well. The new LG G2 will catch a few eyes although it would take some big time advertising to get the name out to average consumers. You have a hand full of bb loyalists as well as windows phone but not enough to make a difference. This is what the moto x is up against and I haven't even mentioned the carrier exclusivity or the fact that it is a mid range device at the price of the new iPhone or gs4. Rumor is there will be a new mid range iPhone available in several different colors possibly priced around 99 on a 2 year agreement. So yes I can say with confidence, in the market Motorola is targeting with the x, they will not do very well.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

You were doing good right up until you said it is a mid-range device. All performance reviews so far say otherwise.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Regarding the customization exclusivity, has anyone considered that this may actually be the preferred route by Motorola in order to account for scalable capability? In other words, start with one carrier, iron out the wrinkles, validate the predicted volumes, THEN open it up to additional carriers when you know you've got things like this working correctly? No one else has attempted this kind of thing before so I totally give them slack in rolling this capability out in phases. And considering that Verizon is "the biggest" by customer volume and that they are rolling out the Droid line in synch with the X, as well as AT&T's propensity to pony up some bucks to get exclusive deals (e.g. S4 Active, red S4, etc.), then things really start to make sense, IMO.

My upgrade date conveniently hits on 10/1. I'll more than happily wait a month or so in order to get a Verizon version via the Moto Maker. As I see it, this phone has the performance where it counts and has the look and feel that will make me WANT to use it. My son has the S4 and I'm really not all that impressed with how it feels in the hand, and I just really don't like TouchWiz. The HTC One looks good and feels good but I'm deathly worried about the lack of updates from HTC. But with the X, my senses tell me that Motorola will be all over updates for this device due to the sheer amount of attention they have focused on it as their launch device. From a PR perspective alone, they can't let it become forgotten.

So when I add everything up...I'm not bothered by the initial exclusivity of Moto Maker. I think I understand the why's, even if they aren't publicly stated by any of the corporate players involved. And the delay just gives me more time to ensure I pick the right device, be it the X or something else.

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I think that the real reason why the X is exclusive to AT&T IS to actually artificially restrict the demand until the holiday time.
As most people should know here, Motorola/Flextronics have just reopened their factory recently after a long time of it being abandoned from Nokia.

They are still working on hiring all the employees that they will need to be a fully operational facility. They are targetting 2000 employees by the end of August, and 3000 by the end of September. I wonder if they actually are starting this knowing that they would be exceeding their capacity to assemble the devices.

I also think it is interesting that AT&T will be getting Moto Maker first, and the AT&T headquarters is in Dallas while the factory happens to be in Fort Worth.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Regarding the customization exclusivity, has anyone considered that this may actually be the preferred route by Motorola in order to account for scalable capability? In other words, start with one carrier, iron out the wrinkles, validate the predicted volumes, THEN open it up to additional carriers when you know you've got things like this working correctly? No one else has attempted this kind of thing before so I totally give them slack in rolling this capability out in phases. And considering that Verizon is "the biggest" by customer volume and that they are rolling out the Droid line in synch with the X, as well as AT&T's propensity to pony up some bucks to get exclusive deals (e.g. S4 Active, red S4, etc.), then things really start to make sense, IMO.

The problem is that they're heavily advertising the "designed by you" feature. If you're trying to be a global company and you don't have the common sense to not spend $500 million on advertising a feature that you're just not ready for, then the future doesn't bode very well for you.
I think the carrier exclusivity is stupid, but I'd have less of a problem with it if Googorolla wasn't advertising it and instead let AT&T advertise that specific feature since they're the ones who will have it available.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Look at the dates.

Sorry, I've just been wasting your time. Some people say things and I like to see where they get their information. The data you're looking for is on page 28 of Google's most recent 10-Q and page 89 of their 10-K.

Some interesting snippets as they pertain to your perspective of the company:

"Subsequent to our acquisition of Motorola Mobility Holdings, Inc. (Motorola) in May 2012, we initiated a restructuring plan for Motorola, primarily our Motorola Mobile segment, to reduce workforce, reorganize management structure, close or consolidate certain facilities, as well as simplify our mobile product portfolio. These changes are designed to return the Motorola Mobile segment to profitability."

And a lot of that restructuring revolved around trimming costs....

" Our full-time employee headcount was 54,604 (including 15,149 headcount from Motorola Mobile and 5,144 from Motorola Home) at June 30, 2012 , and 44,777 (which includes 4,599 headcount from Motorola Mobile) at June 30, 2013"

Motorola Mobility is not being run the same as it was before it was acquired by Google. I think that's plenty obvious.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew352524