Active Display - What Happens When It's on a Desk?

Astrotrain00

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Forgive me if I missed this somewhere, but what happens if the X is just sitting on a desk and you get a notification? I've read about flipping it over/pulling out of a pocket, but what if it's idle on my desk or if I just pick it up from said desk?

Pretty sure this is my next phone, but this is kind of a big deal because it's where my phone lives 90% of the time I'm at work.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
No led from what I read

Posted via Android Central App

2nd. gosh i hope i don't have to pick this thing up. then i'm gonna be so mad. less movements please. lol. I did expect to, but now that i see my current phone blinking at me...

actually, i guess it'll be fine, there's enough notifications it'll be breathing pretty much all the time. :D.

Last edited:

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I actually wonder if people will create app that'll work similarly to Active Display but just activate about four pixels to mimic a notification LED on the screen.

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Does that provide the option for a couple of screen pixels to blink as a notification LED or is it just a poor man's version of Active Display for non Moto X phones?

By the way, how does that app work? I have it on my Xperia TL which is on 4.1.2 and a LCD screen so I don't know if it's an older OS problem or just that the ActiveNotification app really doesn't work nearly as well.

As I see the ActiveNotification does not breathe like the Moto X and it is not contextually aware so it doesn't know when the phone is moved to display the notifications. It stays on when i receive a notification but does not show details.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Hang on ... You want an app to emulate an LED on the screen ... to do what Active Display is already doing ... on the screen?

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I actually see it in my mind as enhancing the capabilities of the Active Display. I basically see it as a notification that you have notifications.

From your descriptions of Active Display and all the instances I see online the phone won't continue "breathing" your notifications indefinitely after receiving them. It sounds like if I leave my phone face up when I get a notification then it will breathe off and on for approximately 15 min-1 hour slowing down until it stops showing up. I often leave my phone around in my apartment, and I would see a pseudo notification LED as an even more minimal signal than the Active Display that I had received a notification long enough ago that the Active Display stopped informing me. This'll prompt me to walk over and nudge my phone to see what the actual Active Display wants to tell me instead of having to walk over and nudge it every time I walk into the same room as my phone.

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Yes it is not a game-changer, it will truly not change my decision to get the phone or not.

I'm going to be getting this phone because it is the phone I've been waiting on for the past two years.

I just thought that this inclusion would probably not take anything away but it would add just a tiny amount of extra hands-off use.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I actually see it in my mind as enhancing the capabilities of the Active Display. I basically see it as a notification that you have notifications.

From your descriptions of Active Display and all the instances I see online the phone won't continue "breathing" your notifications indefinitely after receiving them. It sounds like if I leave my phone face up when I get a notification then it will breathe off and on for approximately 15 min-1 hour slowing down until it stops showing up. I often leave my phone around in my apartment, and I would see a pseudo notification LED as an even more minimal signal than the Active Display that I had received a notification long enough ago that the Active Display stopped informing me. This'll prompt me to walk over and nudge my phone to see what the actual Active Display wants to tell me instead of having to walk over and nudge it every time I walk into the same room as my phone.

I don't believe active display ever stops 'breathing' if the phone is face up. It's intentionally designed to keep breathing indefinitely if the user has placed the phone face up, because that's its purpose.

I also believe that it may activate the breathing once the phone senses that its been picked up.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't believe active display ever stops 'breathing' if the phone is face up. It's intentionally designed to keep breathing indefinitely if the user has placed the phone face up, because that's its purpose.

I also believe that it may activate the breathing once the phone senses that its been picked up.
wrong. if its faces up and you dont touch your phone for long it will stop breathing. its smart that way.

if its on your pocket it will stop breathing. if its face down it will stop breathing. its not designed to always breath but smarter

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
wrong. if its faces up and you dont touch your phone for long it will stop breathing. its smart that way.

if its on your pocket it will stop breathing. if its face down it will stop breathing. its not designed to always breath but smarter

Not according to Moto. If you get any notifications it will not stop flashing the notification until that notification is addressed.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Not according to Moto. If you get any notifications it will not stop flashing the notification until that notification is addressed.

cooool. no picking up the phone.

my gosh, i might just be the laziest person in the universe. lol. the person most interested in the path of least resistance.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

You and a user with a Moto X seem to disagree.

If you get a notification, Active Display pops it up, and then breathes it for a little bit. Then it goes back to sleep, so it's not continuously breathing the entire time.

Inside the Moto X Active Display | Android Central

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TMycL9mzpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar