Want wood? Grab your checkbook.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Source code on Motorola's website showing that wood options may come at a $50 premium, as see on Droid Life.

Screen-Shot-2013-08-23-at-1.55.22-PM.png

Well, if you continue on down into the options section where the color choices of backs are listed, you?ll see items like Mint or Olive or Cement listed with at a price of ?0″ (?price? :0). But if you continue looking for the wood options, which aren?t currently available, you?ll see a price of ?50″ (?price? :50). Now, this price is only next to the wood options (teak, ebony, rosewood, and bamboo) and not attached to any of the standard colors. So if you look at the phone pricing structure, we can only assume that this is where the extra $50 pricing comes in. In other words, you could get the 16GB for $199 with a standard back or $249 with a wood back. If you go 32GB version, you can buy one for $249 or $299. Same goes for the phones at full retail.

Personally, I've decided I will wait for the wood backs to become available and the $50 expense makes sense. I know some people have previously stated that they'd like to see the wood options be priced the same, but that's never been very reasonable. How can you expect them to price wood and plastic the same? In order to make up the cost difference, customers buying plastic backs would have to essentially subsidize the cost of the wood-backed phones -- not exactly ideal.

Anyway, $50 seems fair, and it's right in line with what I expected. For those of you that were hoping they wouldn't charge more, well....sorry.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Maybe a very very dark stained Cherry but I can?t otherwise imagine wanting wood on my phone. Now titanium...that sounds good and contemporary to me.

Sent from my humble S4

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
$50 is steep, but at the same time reasonable since you can customize the phone the way you want it. Just remember your awesome design is not someone else's when you decide to resell it and I wonder what they are going to do when it comes to warranty replacements with Assurion? I mean they won't be stocking a crazy amount of options and if I have a custom one I certainly wouldn't want black or white as my warranty replacement. This is one sure fire way to insure warrantied units are new.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams