Justification of Google Edition Moto X?

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
What is the reasoning behind this?

Having used multiple vanilla and skinned Android phones I can say that this is as close to pure Android as I want it, with completely unobtrusive and helpful extra bits sprinkled in. What would be the point of a Google Edition/Nexus version of this phone?

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Honestly I would just want it for 32 GB of storage. I'm trying to think how I'm gonna be able to make due with 16 GB (11 GB of usable storage).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

grenefroggie

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
What is the reasoning behind this?

Having used multiple vanilla and skinned Android phones I can say that this is as close to pure Android as I want it, with completely unobtrusive and helpful extra bits sprinkled in. What would be the point of a Google Edition/Nexus version of this phone?

After owning a GNex (GSM) I have come to realize that if I purchase my phone at MSRP, I should be able to do whatever I please with it. Having the phone unlocked is important to some people. Android has not yet reached the point where it is 100% customizable and can do everything everyone wants with just root access. It is getting close though. Carriers and OEMs still add software they want consumers to use. Others want to maximize the performance of their device or increase battery life (though by some accounts the X does this well already).

It comes down to freedom of choice. I can buy a Moto X at AT&T and pay MSRP and carrier unlock the phone if I wish. But I still cannot unlock the wonderful encrypted bootloader that Moto likes to use, which historically is difficult to crack (thanks AT&T).

I am sure there are other reasons, but the freedom to do whatever I please with the phone I purchased outright is my main reason. The device is truly mine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Google Edition Moto X justification is Motorola getting early access to Android code.

it has nothing for average consumers.

Last edited:

xx_blam_xx

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
My thinking is this: Motorola is moving all the fun features of the X to the Play Store anyway, so if we got this beautiful phone unlocked and unbranded with pure, stock Android, would it not be real simple to log into the Play Store, it sees you have a Moto X and lets you download the Active Notifications, Touchless Control and Moto Assist apps? This is probably what would happen when this phone makes it on there. And I know I'd be interested in that.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Google Play Editon vs Developer Edition.

Why would you want to strip out all of the Moto enhancements and get a GP edition. Seems like to me the way to go is Dev Edition.