help with making phone calls, yes, you saw that.....

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
okay, this is my first rodeo with stock (nearly stock) Android.

On my Galaxy phones and wife's Evo's, and my Palm Pre, you need to type just the first few letters of a name to get a contact.

For instance, if I want to call Damon, I simply dial 326, then a list comes up, it contains all of my contacts whose first three letters of the name coincides with those numbers (T9). Damon is usually first.

It will also have area code 326 numbers at the bottom of the list (I have no 326 area code firends).
It seems I can not do this on the Moto X, and I assume all stock Android.

Or, can I? Is there a way to enable this feature?

tippmann15

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I just hit the "settings" button while the dial pad was open, I enabled exactly what you're referring to (it didn't come default). I didn't notice it wasn't enabled, but glad it is now.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I have the AT&T, there is a settings button, bottom right, but I can't find a setting that enables this.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I have the AT&T, there is a settings button, bottom right, but I can't find a setting that enables this.
That feature is on stock android 4.3 dialer app. I have it on my Nexus 4
I believe Moto X uses stock dialer so you might get it in a month or so but its not there now.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
That feature is on stock android 4.3 dialer app. I have it on my Nexus 4
I believe Moto X uses stock dialer so you might get it in a month or so but its not there now.

Ah, so it is a TW/Sense/WebOS faeture but not stock Android until 4.3..... good to know.

jameskk1

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
BTW - I've also got the Verizon Droid Maxx (the new Droid) and it does allow you to look up names by dialing them... so I am thinking the poster might have the VZW version of the X since it seems to have some of the same features/software as their new Droid line

PokerMunkee

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Is there not a way to do this with the VZW Moto X? I don't see anything in the Call Settings to enable this. Can't believe this isn't stock on Android.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Is there not a way to do this with the VZW Moto X? I don't see anything in the Call Settings to enable this. Can't believe this isn't stock on Android.

I dont see a setting to make this happen currently on vzw Moto X.Maybe with the next update as mentioned above ?Or install a 3rd party app til then?
I will probaby wait and see if the stock dialer gets that feature tho.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
It used to be stock but I believe it was a patent suit with Apple that ended it on stock android versions. Just like the search your entire phone via the simple search icon. Now you have to use the magnify glass in the call screen.

T-mobile Moto X

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Try this...on the dial pad screen touch the Search magnifying glass (bottom left) then type in the first few letters of a contact name OR type the first few numbers of a contact...should get a listing of all that fit.

PokerMunkee

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Try this...on the dial pad screen touch the Search magnifying glass (bottom left) then type in the first few letters of a contact name OR type the first few numbers of a contact...should get a listing of all that fit.

That's not too bad, just one more click. I suppose that will work for now. Thanks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc