The camera will sink this phone...

DakotaBoy

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Have you noticed that the 4.3 camera settings only go up to 5mp? I'll take a good 5mp photo over a crappy 10mp any day. Also, is it necessary/worth it to delete the stock camera?

Posted via Android Central App

whtchdr

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Have you noticed that the 4.3 camera settings only go up to 5mp? I'll take a good 5mp photo over a crappy 10mp any day. Also, is it necessary/worth it to delete the stock camera?

You don't need to delete the stock camera app or even disable it. They will coexist. You will also have a new link to the stock gallery app as part of the 4.3 camera APK. You should be able to select the 4.3 camera as default like many other apps if you choose to.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I think a lot of people don't realize it takes skill for good pics and they are used to being able to be mediocre and the phone take care of it for their poor skills. Phil posted a pic on his Google+ and it looked pretty darn good.

Tim_Katarn

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I think a lot of people don't realize it takes skill for good pics and they are used to being able to be mediocre and the phone take care of it for their poor skills. Phil posted a pic on his Google+ and it looked pretty darn good.

I definitely agree with this. There's a fine tuning application in the phone to make those shots look exactly as you want them to look.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Now you're just making excuses. There is no skill in taking a picture on your phone, aside from composing your shot. Aperture control? Nope. Shutter speed control? Nope. ISO adjustment? Nope. Focal length? All digital. Just point and shoot, baby.

Laughable.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Now you're just making excuses. There is no skill in taking a picture on your phone, aside from composing your shot. Aperture control? Nope. Shutter speed control? Nope. ISO adjustment? Nope. Focal length? All digital. Just point and shoot, baby.

Laughable.

Excuses? I don't own the x nor plan to get one. There is skill in taking any picture. But yeah its laughable....

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
From what I've seen in photos, the Moto X consistently reproduces incorrect white balance. No amount of "skill" can overcome a hardware defect. You might be able to improve upon it in the post-process, but that doesn't excuse the initial problem.

What skill are you referring to anyway? Are you saying that the Moto X would take properly balanced, richly colored photos in the hands of Michael Kenna vs. an average user? Maybe the contextual processor in the phone is so good it knows to make crappy pictures for crappy people.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
From what I've seen in photos, the Moto X consistently reproduces incorrect white balance. No amount of "skill" can overcome a hardware defect. You might be able to improve upon it in the post-process, but that doesn't excuse the initial problem.

What skill are you referring to anyway? Are you saying that the Moto X would take properly balanced, richly colored photos in the hands of Michael Kenna vs. an average user? Maybe the contextual processor in the phone is so good it knows to make crappy pictures for crappy people.

Agreed.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
That last post was for slave.

I didn't delete the stock app, going to see if I can learn some stuff with both and make a decision. I like a clear 5mp pic over a blurry 10mp picture. The software and camera on the Moto X is a big fat fail.

provenflipper

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the process of returning my Moto X because of the camera. I may have to give the AOSP camera a try first though. My experience was that it took photos that lacked sharpness and didn't adjust to changes in lighting very well.

DakotaBoy

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the process of returning my Moto X because of the camera. I may have to give the AOSP camera a try first though. My experience was that it took photos that lacked sharpness and didn't adjust to changes in lighting very well.

It definitely helps. I'm keeping mine, I switched from an iPhone 5 to HTC One to the X. And I'm happy with it.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Oh yeah, try the android camera first. Just do a quick search for Android 4.3 camera app. It shows that the hardware is capable of decent shots, it's the software that absolutely blows.

provenflipper

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Just tried it for comparisons sake. The iphone camera is still head and shoulders above the Moto X/AOSP camera combo. The difference is just too staggering and it sucks because I really liked the Moto X. Here's hoping Motorola can fix it in software by the time the wood backs are ready.

Attached is the pictures I just took. Nothing special, just firing up the camera app and taking a pic. iPhone 5 on the left, Moto X with AOSP camera on the right. the Moto X does appear to have a wider angle lens BTW.

View attachment 79173

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
You have to turn on the focus, it's off by default. Open the wheel and tap the focus icon and then you can tap to focus.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Incorrect white balance is a software issue.

dj ozone

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
love the phone and I will keep it but I gotta admit the camera blows...good thing im not one of those photogenic instagram people...

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't know why Moto seems to have trouble with the cameras in their phones. I once had the Droid Razr and Razr Maxx and the cameras were dissapointing too.

Sent from my humble S4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech