regardless of age and health. The highest SAR values measured
for this device are listed in the regulatory information packaged
with your product.
Note: When using the product while worn on your body,
maintain a distance of 2.5 cm (1 inch) from the body to ensure
compliance with SAR requirements
. Note that the product may
be transmitting even if you are not making a phone call

Now my understanding is that this is the maximum SAR allowable by the FCC which I am somewhat concerned about. I am equally concerned about this 1 " from the body thing. How is it that it must be " away from my body if WORN but It is OK to press it to my ear since that is not worn????

New Phones are likely going to be Christmas gifts for My wife and I was really hoping VZW would have moto maker, 32Gb available by then. Now wondering if these will be safe long term.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
If you plan on giving one to your wife this Christmas then you should be prepared to give her three gloves next Christmas, she'll need them

Posted from my brand new, super slim, gorgeous red Droid Ultra

howdydoesit

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Now wondering if these will be safe long term.

Take it from a guy who works with radio frequency (RF) for a living: cell phones have always been recommended to be kept at least one inch from the body, nothing new with the Moto X.

RF radiation in the spectrums we use are non-ionizing, they don't directly cause damage to cells or DNA. They do, however, heat tissues just like a microwave heats your food. We're talking relatively low signal strength levels though, so I can't see much if any damage going on in your body...but the science is still out on this one, we haven't been using modern cellular devices long enough to know exactly how they may affect the human body.

Again, this is a known "concern" with all cell phones. If your wife is currently using a cell phone, it should have the exact same warnings as this one. It's a simple risk vs utility type situation, either the benefits of having a cell phone out way the possible risk of owning one or they don't.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk 4

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Take it from a guy who works with radio frequency (RF) for a living: cell phones have always been recommended to be kept at least one inch from the body, nothing new with the Moto X.

RF radiation in the spectrums we use are non-ionizing, they don't directly cause damage to cells or DNA. They do, however, heat tissues just like a microwave heats your food. We're talking relatively low signal strength levels though, so I can't see much if any damage going on in your body...but the science is still out on this one, we haven't been using modern cellular devices long enough to know exactly how they may affect the human body.

Again, this is a known "concern" with all cell phones. If your wife is currently using a cell phone, it should have the exact same warnings as this one. It's a simple risk vs utility type situation, either the benefits of having a cell phone out way the possible risk of owning one or they don't.

quick question for you is it better in theory to use a blutooth ear piece if you talk on the phone for 3 to 5 hours a day versus just holding the phone to your ear ?

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Your probably better off using Bluetooth. I believe the safest way is speaker phone or a wired headset.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
quick question for you is it better in theory to use a blutooth ear piece if you talk on the phone for 3 to 5 hours a day versus just holding the phone to your ear ?

I've always heard that its better to use a Bluetooth because its not putting out a very strong signal.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4

howdydoesit

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I've always heard that its better to use a Bluetooth because its not putting out a very strong signal.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4

Both posts above me are correct. Technically, the best way to use your phone is speakerphone. Bluetooth doesn't emit much lower so it is a lot safer than just straight up using your phone. Headphones with a mic work as well.

If you really are concerned about this type of thing, keep in mind that the phone still radiates at all times unless in airplane mode, but at a much lower power than talking on the phone or transmitting data.

howdydoesit

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
You should probably be more concerned with standing near your microwave than using your phone.

Not really. Microwaves are enclosed in a Faraday Cage, little if any radio waves escape from them. But I agree with you sentiments, I use my phone constantly and talk for an hour every night with it pressed right against my head. I'm not too concerned with using it, but maybe I'll have a giant tumor sticking out of my face twenty years from now...

TheBigBass

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Exactly. The signals you use through your smartphone are too weak to act on the dipoles of water and oscillate then to heat up like microwaves. For you and I, non-ionising is the key word here but that takes some explaining to the average joe.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I use my phone constantly and talk for an hour every night with it pressed right against my head. I'm not too concerned with using it, but maybe I'll have a giant tumor sticking out of my face twenty years from now...

My parents have had cell phones for 20+ years, and no abnormal growths on the sides of their heads so far!

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I think I just had a mild stroke trying to read those blue letters on the dark Tapatalk backround.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I think I just had a mild stroke trying to read those blue letters on the dark Tapatalk backround.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Sorry! I Don't use Tapatalk so Blue looked fine agiasnt the white background of my browser

robby333

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
I've heard that bluetooth can actually be worse in a way because of the location of the antenna. Basically it's located by your head instead of at your jawline (where it usually is on new phones). Not sure if this is true or not though.

However, I do know that if you keep the phone in your pocket while talking on bluetooth you're going to be putting that radiation right into you reproductive area, which may not be any better.

I've used a Pong Radiation deflecting case on my iPhone for sometime and it gives me peace of mind. It's supposed to work to redirect the signal away from your head instead of blocking it all together (which I've heard results in more radiation being emitted to keep the signal up.

I just did some digging and found out they make one for the Moto X/X2 as well! Here it is on Amazon - Amazon.com: The Pong Case for Motorola Droid X/X2, Soft Touch Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

robby333

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
I don't know about not having enough data yet - I think phone companies are intentionally keeping it quiet. This is pretty disturbing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbpLD0xH0og&feature=youtu.be

Seriously! Regardless of what we hear about phone tech being safer than it was say, in the 80's, I don't buy it. We're better off always being cautious with our SAR/EMF/WiFi exposure!

I've been looking into getting some kind of radiation blocking case or stand for my tablet and laptop (in addition to my phone which my last post touched on) as well. Anyone have any suggestions??