How do I turn off SMS voice notifications?

Progenitor42

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I've recently started having issues with my phone announcing rather loudly that I've received a text message. I am using the stock message app. I've searched through the settings for the message app, the device, and even the Assist app settings for the driving mode. I've reset all the default settings but have not been successful in fixing this.

Not sure what to do. I have figured out that it seems to be isolated to the SMS messages. Both incoming phone calls and MMS message notifications are normal.

I was using handcent at first but switched back to stock. I thought that might have been related so I had disabled pop ups. When that didn't work I uninstalled the app and plugins.

I've also tried to lower the sound volumes to silent but when I get a text the media volume is restored to its previous setting and the voice announcement is speaking loudly from my pocket.

Other than this one issue I really like this phone. Its just about the perfect phone for me. Size, performance, style. Its a great phone.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

Progenitor42

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: My one issue... How do I turn off SMS voice notifications

Thank you for the link. I read the thread and tried the following.

Manually updated TalkBack. Verified TalkBack was turned off. In the app settings I unchecked the box next to "speak notifications when screen is off". I then had someone send me a test SMS. No more voice.

Thank you.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

JEE46

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
Re: My one issue... How do I turn off SMS voice notifications

I don't know how some give complicated answers
just turn off '' Driving mode'' on Settings>>>>My device
Simple

Susanay

Feb 8, 2017
Visit site
I had the same exact issue for a day and a half. Couldn't stand receiving text messages in public announcing to everyone my son wouldn't be home for dinner. So I did a soft Reset, went about my business, and still the problem remained. Ugh!!! Enough of this. I did a hard Reset back to factory settings.
Before I did the Reset, I made sure all of my pictures & videos were on my SD card. Then I removed the SD card as well as the SIM card using the tiny key to pop the card tray out , placing the empty tray back into the phone. After all of that, I performed the Hard Reset. IT WORKED!
No more annoying message announcements. If it ever happens again, I'll know what to do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci