What needs to be in 4.3!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I agree with rearranging the actions for the toggles in the notification shade. Click to turn on/off, long press to quick access the particular setting. CM/AOKP/Slim do this.
Allow rearranging of the Quick Toggles.
Allow enable/disable of a power widget and quick toggles.
Allow the ability to rearrange/edit soft keys and actions. Allow more long press options.

Overall, still a good device. Taking cues from ROM developers would be nice.

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. So would hitting HOME instead of BACK also potentially cause additional background battery drain since apps were only suspended and not fully exited? I'll have to start getting in this new habit...

It all depends on the app. Hitting home leaves it in running mode and the app could do online updates or queries that would burn battery life--but most just kinda suspend and hang around. But it definitely impacts memory. When you exit via the back key the app knows you're leaving and can 1) clean up and totally terminate; 2) do a partial cleanup but stay active; 3) do nothing (same as you pressing home). In cases 2 & 3 you'll often see an actual "exit" command in the app?s menu--some have to be force closed to get them to terminate. In case 1 the memory is freed up immediately. In case 2 the OS knows it can terminate the app and reclaim the memory if storage gets tight. But in case 3 including you pressing home the OS will not auto close the app if memory gets low. So best to always exit via backing out unless you *want* to return there--doing so lets the app/programmer decide how to exit and lets Android's memory reclaim logic work as intended.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
For 2 they need to open up the always listening feature up to other apps. If you could access it from AutoVoice in Tasker you could make it work however you want. Considering they closed off the intent to send stuff straight to Google Now in a recent update (thus making the feature much less useful, IMO), I don't know how confident I am that this will happen.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
What do you guys think what needs to be in 4.3?

Wait, which version of Android are you talking about? 4.3 or Kit Kat? 4.3 is still Jelly Bean. 4.4 is Kit Kat.

If they're going to make big changes, I'd rather those be in 4.4 since 4.3 is already late for us.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
4. Messaging. After reading/writing text and I hit the home button, it goes to home screen. If later I get a message from another person and either use active notifications, or the app itself to message back, it takes you directly back to the LAST person you messaged, not to the person who messaged you....so you have to hit the back button twice and tap the new message to view it. Now if you hit back twice to the home screen after you're done messaging, all is good. Actually 3 times if you count hitting back to get rid of the keyboard. Really annoying.

If #4 isn't experienced by anyone, then maybe it's me and please post a fix...or slap me upside the head for having a bad dream or something....

I just opened up the text app and went to a message/thread. I then hit the home button. I let the phone/screen go to sleep.

Then I sent myself a text message from another number (and not the same number of the thread I previously had opened in the text app).

When the Active Notification appeared, I dragged the message icon up and was taken directly to the new text message thread that I sent myself.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Open Text Message app.
2. Select a thread.
3. Press the home button.
4. Let the phone screen go to sleep.
5. Send a text message to your phone (from a number that is different than step 2).
6. Open the message via Active Notification.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I for one am happy the moto x and droid lines stayed w 720 instead of going to 1080 just for the sake of saying it has it... The only benefit to 1080 on screens this size is the fact that its a selling point.. But Motorola was smart to exclude it knowing it uses more battery w out any real benefits.

But the spec whores are gonna say 720 is midrange. :)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
1. MotoGoo...Lose the Google search bar on every home screen. It's ridiculously obtrusive. We already have "always listening" by saying "ok google now...." for search and other features. I know using a different launcher corrects this (I use nova) but we shouldn't have to compromise to reclaim screen real estate.

2. Make Google Now a truly useful phone feature by including simple phone commands such as "ok google now....turn on Bluetooth". S voice has this. Siri has this. Why not G Now?

1. Use another launcher. Motorola is essentially using the stock Android launcher. This is one of its features.

2. You probably wouldn't need an update to the Android OS to do this.

5. The bottom back, home, and multitask buttons needs to be removed to get back screen real estate. They should implement swipe up from bottom bezel to reveal controls.

5. Just.. No. You should have picked a phone that doesn't use on-screen keys.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Let's be clear too. Android 4.3 Jelly Bean is already out - just not yet available for the Moto X.
I think he's asking for Moto X specific things that should be in the next update. Presumably the next update for the Moto X will be when the phone gets 4.3, so he's wondering what stuff Motorola should add to the Moto X version of 4.3, not what stuff Google should add to the generic version of 4.3.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I think he's asking for Moto X specific things that should be in the next update. Presumably the next update for the Moto X will be when the phone gets 4.3, so he's wondering what stuff Motorola should add to the Moto X version of 4.3, not what stuff Google should add to the generic version of 4.3.

I believe most phones will get the camera update first. I think they halted 4.3 work to address the camera quickly.

anon(22913)

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. So would hitting HOME instead of BACK also potentially cause additional background battery drain since apps were only suspended and not fully exited? I'll have to start getting in this new habit...

Probably negligible battery drain but yes. When you hit the BACK button on Android you are in a sense saying "I'm done with this app, you can free up its resources" ... when you hit the HOME button Android "suspends" the app just as you left it, still using resources.

Last edited:

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
But the spec whores are gonna say 720 is midrange. :)

720p isn't midrange by any means. BUT there is a noticeable difference between 720p and 1080p...especially when playing 1080p content. It scales it down leaving black bars on top and bottom on a 720p display.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I saw an update today, hoping it was for 4.3. It was not.....bummer.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
1. Use another launcher. Motorola is essentially using the stock Android launcher. This is one of its features.

I'm using Nova. Said that in OP.

2. You probably wouldn't need an update to the Android OS to do this.

An update from Moto...since it's Moto's design to have G Now speak and answer queries.

5. Just.. No. You should have picked a phone that doesn't use on-screen keys.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I was talking what I would like to see Moto add in 4.3 for the Moto X. Since...um...we don't have it yet.

I don't expect Motorola to add any new features.

When we get 4.3, we'll get the base Android 4.3 features unless that feature was originally replaced by a Motorola feature.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
720p isn't midrange by any means. BUT there is a noticeable difference between 720p and 1080p...especially when playing 1080p content. It scales it down leaving black bars on top and bottom on a 720p display.

If the aspect ratio is the same, I don't know why 1080 content on a 720 display would have black bars vs. the same content in 720 on that 720 display.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca