What needs to be in 4.3!

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
This phone has been nothing short of amazing. Sure, they could have included a 1080p screen (they really should have) and the camera never should have shipped with it borked, but it did, and a fix is on the way for most of us. The radios in this blow away Samsung's radio's hands down. The One is up there with this but just not as good...I get 4G at my house I didn't know I had with the X! Any how....

What do you guys think what needs to be in 4.3? Here's my take:

1. MotoGoo...Lose the Google search bar on every home screen. It's ridiculously obtrusive. We already have "always listening" by saying "ok google now...." for search and other features. I know using a different launcher corrects this (I use nova) but we shouldn't have to compromise to reclaim screen real estate.

2. Make Google Now a truly useful phone feature by including simple phone commands such as "ok google now....turn on Bluetooth". S voice has this. Siri has this. Why not G Now?

3. Notification Toggles needs to be reworked. If I tap Bluetooth or wifi, it should turn on/off instead of taking you to the BT/wifi menu. It's an extra step that's NOT needed.

EDIT: See post #10 ,TheLegoman, for instructions and THANKS if you didn't know this!

4. Messaging. After reading/writing text and I hit the home button, it goes to home screen. If later I get a message from another person and either use active notifications, or the app itself to message back, it takes you directly back to the LAST person you messaged, not to the person who messaged you....so you have to hit the back button twice and tap the new message to view it. Now if you hit back twice to the home screen after you're done messaging, all is good. Actually 3 times if you count hitting back to get rid of the keyboard. Really annoying.

If #4 isn't experienced by anyone, then maybe it's me and please post a fix...or slap me upside the head for having a bad dream or something....

5. The bottom back, home, and multitask buttons needs to be removed to get back screen real estate. They should implement swipe up from bottom bezel to reveal controls.

I know the X is "mostly" pure android but there is a slight skin added. I also know apps in the Play Store will fix most of my gripes but these are solely my gripes that I would like to see changed or fixed. Yours will differ for the most part but let's hear what you think should be added, removed, or fixed.

Last edited:

daddio211

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I want the poor transmit quality on Bluetooth devices fixed! There are several threads here addressing the problem with no resolution.

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
1. MotoGoo...Lose the Google search bar on every home screen. It's ridiculously obtrusive. We already have "always listening" by saying "ok google now...." for search and other features. I know using a different launcher corrects this (I use nova) but we shouldn't have to compromise to reclaim screen real estate.
Isn't this the behaviour on stock Android? Rather than Moto, this should be an issue for Google to deal with as part of KitKat.

2. Make Google Now a truly useful phone feature by including simple phone commands such as "ok google now....turn on Bluetooth". S voice has this. Siri has this. Why not G Now?
I agree, this would be really useful.

3. Notification Toggles needs to be reworked. If I tap Bluetooth or wifi, it should turn on/off instead of taking you to the BT/wifi menu. It's an extra step that's NOT needed.
Once again, isn't this stock Android behaviour. If so, see response to #1.

4. Messaging. After reading/writing text and I hit the home button, it goes to home screen. If later I get a message from another person and either use active notifications, or the app itself to message back, it takes you directly back to the LAST person you messaged, not to the person who messaged you....so you have to hit the back button twice and tap the new message to view it. Now if you hit back twice to the home screen after you're done messaging, all is good. Actually 3 times if you count hitting back to get rid of the keyboard. Really annoying.

If #4 isn't experienced by anyone, then maybe it's me and please post a fix...or slap me upside the head for having a bad dream or something....
I haven't noticed this - not saying this isn't the case, but I haven't paid attention to it.
5. The bottom back, home, and multitask buttons needs to be removed to get back screen real estate. They should implement swipe up from bottom bezel to reveal controls.
See point #1

I know the X is "mostly" pure android but there is a slight skin added. I also know apps in the Play Store will fix most of my gripes but these are solely my gripes that I would like to see changed or fixed. Yours will differ for the most part but let's hear what you think should be added, removed, or fixed.
I'd rather Moto not deviate from the stock Android experience. Add to it, yes! But not deviate from it like Samsung or HTC have done. This will make updates take even longer. I think your point of notification toggles is valid and would like Google to address it in KitKat.

I'd like to see Moto address having a custom phrase to activate Google Now! Another feature I'd like to see is to allow us the ability to set the flash interval of Active Notifications!

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I want the poor transmit quality on Bluetooth devices fixed! There are several threads here addressing the problem with no resolution.

I haven't experienced bad quality with BT. I use a Moto Sliver II as my headset and the only thing I've noticed is that the darn thing uses auto volume and sometimes it's so quiet I can't hear the other person...but it corrects itself soon after....

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Um.....no. But this is the first "almost pure android" phone I have used.

Only reason I ask is because your wishes with the messaging is native to apple. Then again I've not payed much attention and never had it do that on my nexus 4 either. I've been using vanilla since my coming to android.

I assumed that since android is true multitasking you go back where you left off, instead of closing an old task to create new.

Posted via Android Central App

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Isn't this the behaviour on stock Android? Rather than Moto, this should be an issue for Google to deal with as part of KitKat.

I agree, this would be really useful.

Once again, isn't this stock Android behaviour. If so, see response to #1.

I haven't noticed this - not saying this isn't the case, but I haven't paid attention to it.
See point #1

I'd rather Moto not deviate from the stock Android experience. Add to it, yes! But not deviate from it like Samsung or HTC have done. This will make updates take even longer. I think your point of notification toggles is valid and would like Google to address it in KitKat.

I'd like to see Moto address having a custom phrase to activate Google Now! Another feature I'd like to see is to allow us the ability to set the flash interval of Active Notifications!

Not sure if it's a "stock" android experience as this is the first "stock" android phone I have owned. I know TW. I know Sense. But stock and it's behavior is new to me. I agree that Moto not deviate as it will make it take longer to get updates. Also agree on the flash interval for active notifications <------good one!

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Only reason I ask is because your wishes with the messaging is native to apple. Then again I've not payed much attention and never had it do that on my nexus 4 either. I've been using vanilla since my coming to android.

I assumed that since android is true multitasking you go back where you left off, instead of closing an old task to create new.

Like on my HTC ONE, after I'm done texting and hit the home button, it takes me to my home screen. Then say if my wife texts me, whether I use the messaging app or notification panel, it takes me directly to her thread. It does this with every person everytime. With the X, it always takes me back to where I left off and have to hit the back button...once to get rid of keyboard and a second to get back to list view of threads and then select the person who texted me.

TheLegoman

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
For complaint no.3, try pressing and holding the icons to see what they do. On my N4 pressing and holding will act as a toggle.

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Like on my HTC ONE, after I'm done texting and hit the home button, it takes me to my home screen. Then say if my wife texts me, whether I use the messaging app or notification panel, it takes me directly to her thread. It does this with every person everytime. With the X, it always takes me back to where I left off and have to hit the back button...once to get rid of keyboard and a second to get back to list view of threads and then select the person who texted me.

When you click on the notification it takes you where you left off in the messaging app? Thats strange, I don't have a X so I don't know if its tied to that but I havent had that issue on other Moto devices. If you click on the multitasking button and click on messaging, thats why it's happening.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I understand where the OP is coming from.The way the features of the Moto X doesnt really annoy me .This is actually my first android phone in the last 2 years that I havent rooted/and or Romed with in a few days of ownership.I have had this phone for almost a month .
1) I dont really put alot of apps on my homescreens and as you mentioned Nova launcher will remove but not gain the real estate back.It wouldnt bother me either way removed but would be nice to have that option to choose without and 3rd party app and/or rooting Im not OCD about tho lol ;)
2) If I used bluetooth more I could see that being useful.
3) (removed ) saw above post #10 lol
4) I kinda have adopted to the way the stock Sms messing app is, otherwise I would install a 3rd party app.be nice if it was an option for the stock sms
5) I like the software keys , but would be nice if you could choose which software keys to have shown there and the option to hide them.Im not sure but I thought AOKP had that option in their Rom for Galaxy Nexus I could be wrong tho.

I have had HTC phones (sense) older Motorola Phones (Motorblur) and Samsung(TouchWiz) and have used them all stock and rooted /romed .I think the Moto X is the smoothest I ran totally stock so they are doing something right.
But since android seems to be more about choices or options then they should include them . I can remember when you had to be rooted just to be able to take a screenshot of your phone screens ;)

Last edited:

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
When you click on the notification it takes you where you left off in the messaging app? Thats strange, I don't have a X so I don't know if its tied to that but I havent had that issue on other Moto devices. If you click on the multitasking button and click on messaging, thats why it's happening.

I haven't had this issue on other moto's either like my Photon 4G. And no, not using multitasking and clicking on messaging.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I understand where the OP is coming from.The way the features of the Moto X doesnt really annoy me .This is actually my first android phone in the last 2 years that I havent rooted/and or Romed with in a few days of ownership.I have had this phone for almost a month .
1) I dont really put alot of apps on my homescreens and as you mentioned Nova launcher will remove but not gain the real estate back.It wouldnt bother me either way removed but would be nice to have that option to choose without and 3rd party app and/or rooting Im not OCD about tho lol ;)

It kinda does gain it back. With it removed you can place your clock widget there making it more of a clean look. Otherwise, you have to place it under the search bar.

2) If I used bluetooth more I could see that being useful.
3) (removed ) saw above post #10 lol

Changed it in the OP :)

4) I can of have adopted to the way the stock Sms messing app is, otherwise I would install a 3rd party app.be nice if it was an option for the stock sms
5) I like the software keys , but would be nice if you could choose which software keys to have shown there and the option to hide them.Im not sure but I thought AOKP had that option in their Rom for Galaxy Nexus I could be wrong tho.

I have had HTC phones (sense) older Motorola Phones (Motorblur) and Samsung(TouchWiz) and have used them all stock and rooted /romed .I think the Moto X is the smoothest I ran totally stock so they are doing something right.
But since android seems to be more about choices or options then they should include them . I can remember when you had to be rooted just to be able to take a screenshot of your phone screens ;)

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had this issue on other moto's either like my Photon 4G. And no, not using multitasking and clicking on messaging.

So you're clicking on the app on the homescreen? Hm I guess that makes sense though. Have you tried looking the new text in the notification bar, or through active notification and clicking on those, those should lead to the new message.

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
After reading/writing text and I hit the home button, it goes to home screen. If later I get a message from another person and either use active notifications, or the app itself to message back, it takes you directly back to the LAST person you messaged, not to the person who messaged you....so you have to hit the back button twice and tap the new message to view it.

Welcome to multitasking. Pressing the home key doesn't exit the app--it leaves it open/active and goes to the home screen. When you reenter the app it's going to attempt to resume where it was and because you were within a conversation it won't close it automatically--you wouldn't want it to if you were in the middle of typing. If you always exit the message app using the back key it will enter the next message the way you want. It is always better to exit apps via the back key when you're done since that's how the OS knows it can close the app and reclaim memory if needed.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I for one am happy the moto x and droid lines stayed w 720 instead of going to 1080 just for the sake of saying it has it... The only benefit to 1080 on screens this size is the fact that its a selling point.. But Motorola was smart to exclude it knowing it uses more battery w out any real benefits.

My opinion of course, but I have the new droid maxx because I wanted battery, and a lot of people seem to be getting good battery life w the moto x, and a 1080 would hamper that.

Also it used to bother me that when I hit the home button from text and then went back it opened right where I was, until I realized its actually useful.. Say tour texting someone some info and need to go look something up, you go home, search what you need and when you re open the text app you are right back to your message.. You don't have to start over.. Its right there...

Using my Moto Droid Maxx

anon(22913)

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to multitasking. Pressing the home key doesn't exit the app--it leaves it open/active and goes to the home screen. When you reenter the app it's going to attempt to resume where it was and because you were within a conversation it won't close it automatically--you wouldn't want it to if you were in the middle of typing. If you always exit the message app using the back key it will enter the next message the way you want. It is always better to exit apps via the back key when you're done since that's how the OS knows it can close the app and reclaim memory if needed.

+1

You learn this if you do Android development. If you want to "exit" an app completely (in most cases, unless a service is running), hit the BACK button. Only hit HOME button if you want to in a sense "suspend" the app so you can go back to it just how you left it.

mm356

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
+1

You learn this if you do Android development. If you want to "exit" an app completely (in most cases, unless a service is running), hit the BACK button. Only hit HOME button if you want to in a sense "suspend" the app so you can go back to it just how you left it.

Interesting. So would hitting HOME instead of BACK also potentially cause additional background battery drain since apps were only suspended and not fully exited? I'll have to start getting in this new habit...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan