"OK Google now" almost always leads to a search for me

kupochan

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys and gals. Today's my first day with the Moto X and for the most part I love it. Just one small problem I keep finding with touchless controls (or maybe I don't have something set right). For almost anything I command it to do, it does a google search. Ironically it says to say "help me" for a list of commands and when I do, it literally googles "help me" haha I've also tried the "what song is this?" and "text (person's name)" commands and neither of those have worked either (again, does a search).

Am I missing a setting or doing something wrong or is this a common problem right now? Or do you have to have seperate third party apps to make them work? I have soundhound and shazam for the song capture, but even then doesn't work (but does work if I tell it to OPEN the app). Neither does "play (song/artist)", even though I only have play music for a player.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys and gals. Today's my first day with the Moto X and for the most part I love it. Just one small problem I keep finding with touchless controls (or maybe I don't have something set right). For almost anything I command it to do, it does a google search. Ironically it says to say "help me" for a list of commands and when I do, it literally googles "help me" haha I've also tried the "what song is this?" and "text (person's name)" commands and neither of those have worked either (again, does a search).

Am I missing a setting or doing something wrong or is this a common problem right now? Or do you have to have seperate third party apps to make them work? I have soundhound and shazam for the song capture, but even then doesn't work (but does work if I tell it to OPEN the app). Neither does "play (song/artist)", even though I only have play music for a player.

"Okay Google Now, what's playing" has worked for me to find out the song.

"Okay Google Now, play some Radiohead" has worked for playing an artist.

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site

You have to enable Google now and give consent to access your location

Posted via Android Central App

asharrop

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
"Okay Google Now, what's playing" has worked for me to find out the song.

"Okay Google Now, play some Radiohead" has worked for playing an artist.

Asking it to play a bad has never worked for me, it will just open up the music app with that band front and center, but won't play. If I ask it to play a single song name, that will automatically play. Should it play music from a band if I ask it to without having to tap the screen?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Asking it to play a bad has never worked for me, it will just open up the music app with that band front and center, but won't play. If I ask it to play a single song name, that will automatically play. Should it play music from a band if I ask it to without having to tap the screen?

Yes. It should.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site

It does for me.. Took a a min before it fired up though

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Mine does not play either.....just brings up the bands and I have to play it from their.

I just said "OK Google Now. Play some Childish Gambino". Google Now fired up, then opened a Play Music and started playing a Childish Bambino song.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I just said "OK Google Now. Play some Childish Gambino". Google Now fired up, then opened a Play Music and started playing a Childish Bambino song.

Mine seems to operate song only. But so weird, if i say play Morrissey it brings up all my Moz albums then ends up playing a Moz cover by the Deftones that doesn't even have Morrissey in the title. wth. lol. :D. I'm just gonna name my phone Chrstine and call it a night.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

ohhh, maybe i need to use the word "some" with it. never did that. Can't try right now though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power