3g/4g questions

londonham

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I have been to a lot of NHL and college football games lately and when I am there I have no data service, despite showing a decent 4G connection most of the time. *I understand that tens of thousands of people overloading a single (or couple) of towers can slow or halt data, but beyond that I have very little knowledge of how these things work. *

One thing I have noticed, however, is that when I am at the game occasionally my phone will flip over to 3G, and when that happens data seems to work pretty well.

My questions:

1) Will my phone work better on 3G in a super crowded area, or was my observation merely a coincidence?*

2) If so, does anyone know an easy way to switch between 4G & 3G? *I was using an app for this on my Bionic but I can't seem to find it for the Moto X.

Thanks in advance!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have been to a lot of NHL and college football games lately and when I am there I have no data service, despite showing a decent 4G connection most of the time. *I understand that tens of thousands of people overloading a single (or couple) of towers can slow or halt data, but beyond that I have very little knowledge of how these things work. *

One thing I have noticed, however, is that when I am at the game occasionally my phone will flip over to 3G, and when that happens data seems to work pretty well.

My questions:

1) Will my phone work better on 3G in a super crowded area, or was my observation merely a coincidence?*

2) If so, does anyone know an easy way to switch between 4G & 3G? *I was using an app for this on my Bionic but I can't seem to find it for the Moto X.

Thanks in advance!

I honestly think the signal was stronger with 3G than 4. As for switching, it is kind of a pain; you have to dig through settings.

acles003

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
As far as I know only CDMA networks (Verizon & Sprint) you can go into a menu and change from LTE to 3G, but on AT&T it automatically locks you into the "best" signal. I have had a Samsung Galaxy 2 skyrocket and an HTC One X since I've been on AT&T since 12/2011, and I have never been able to manually switch the signal.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
As far as I know only CDMA networks (Verizon & Sprint) you can go into a menu and change from LTE to 3G, but on AT&T it automatically locks you into the "best" signal. I have had a Samsung Galaxy 2 skyrocket and an HTC One X since I've been on AT&T since 12/2011, and I have never been able to manually switch the signal.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

You can change them on AT&T and T-Mobile too...

Posted via Android Central App

londonham

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know which network is the Verizon 4g one? LTE/GSM/CDMA AUTO prl? Or LTE/CDMA AUTO prl? Or other? I want to make sure I switch back to the correct one. Thanks