"Slow data" after update

kjhee43

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I am having issues with the phone being slow since the update. Not lagging, but more of the date connection being slow. I am in a spot where i would open an app and it would load immediately, now it seems to take 20-30 seconds to do what use to be instant. Anyone else experiencing this?

Posted via Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I am having issues with the phone being slow since the update. Not lagging, but more of the date connection being slow. I am in a spot where i would open an app and it would load immediately, now it seems to take 20-30 seconds to do what use to be instant. Anyone else experiencing this?

Who is your carrier?

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Do you have unlimited data on a carrier that bottle necks after so much use?

My speeds get lowered to 2g speeds after I consume 2gb. Its annoying. It resets each month though, thankfully.

kjhee43

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Do you have unlimited data on a carrier that bottle necks after so much use?

My speeds get lowered to 2g speeds after I consume 2gb. Its annoying. It resets each month though, thankfully.

I have unlimited data on verizon still, bought the phone during the glitch. Now sure how to tell if i am being throttled.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
What apps are opening slow .Im on vzw too.
Hows your data signal?
WiFi's ,4g,or3g ?

sent from Moto X

kjhee43

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
What apps are opening slow .Im on vzw too.
Hows your data signal?
WiFi's ,4g,or3g ?

sent from Moto X

4G. Trying to open a scrabble game, a chess game too. But sometimes it happens just browsing in chrome. It seems to be inconsistent. I dont always check the signal value but bars are always good. I know they aren't a good indication.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
4G. Trying to open a scrabble game, a chess game too. But sometimes it happens just browsing in chrome. It seems to be inconsistent. I dont always check the signal value but bars are always good. I know they aren't a good indication.

Yup the most accurate way to check your signal strenght is the dBm : settings>about phone>status.
I havent experinced any lag after update tho chrome browser. Im in a medium signal strenght area most times in 4g except when home Wifi's
In Charlotte area ( just east of Clt ) NC as my home area.
My work area the signal is weaker but no noticeable lag in chrome.

sent from Moto X

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

When was the last time you turned the phone off and back on?

kjhee43

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
When was the last time you turned the phone off and back on?

Within the last few days. I have flown recently and turned it off. I can try again. How can I isolate this problem?

Opias

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Verizon does not 'throttle'. They implement a practice referred to as 'network optimization' to some customers to avoid exploitation of unlimited data plans (hotspot, etc). This happens 1.) Only on 3g customers with unlimited data 2.) only if they've used over 2GB within a billing cycle and 3.) only if network slowness in their immediate home tower area demands optimization to ensure network performance for all customers. So unless you are mostly pulling a 3g connection with your Moto X, this is not what is happening to you or any other Verizon customer. Not sure what it is, but hopefully this helps!

kjhee43

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Verizon does not 'throttle'. They implement a practice referred to as 'network optimization' to some customers to avoid exploitation of unlimited data plans (hotspot, etc). This happens 1.) Only on 3g customers with unlimited data 2.) only if they've used over 2GB within a billing cycle and 3.) only if network slowness in their immediate home tower area demands optimization to ensure network performance for all customers. So unless you are mostly pulling a 3g connection with your Moto X, this is not what is happening to you or any other Verizon customer. Not sure what it is, but hopefully this helps!

So how can I troubleshoot this? The Main Reason I got rid of my GN was I was tired of the weak signal and waiting for EVERYTHING to load. Now it seems like more of the same with my X. Searches in maps take forever, loading the play store is slow, pages in chrome are slow...I'm tired of seeing the spinning circle. I was in San Diego last week and I live just outside of Philly. Both good signal areas. Would a factory reset help?