Do the different colored Moto X back covers have different Textures??

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone has walked into a cell phone store and taken a look at the display of all of the different colored backs for the Moto X. To me, they seem to have different textures depending on the color. Some of them have the soft-touch feel that I expected (woven black, crimson, navy blue, olive). While others seem to be made of much harder plastic (woven white, cement, spearmint, blush).

This doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere, and the rep at the store didn't know why it was that way either. I thought perhaps the models used in the store were just demos, but I was told that those were actual cases that are used for the backs of phones at the factory in Texas. I sent a quick email to Moto, and they said that the potential difference in textures is due to the way that each color is created for the backs of the phones.

Did anyone else notice this? Does it bother anyone that not all of the case backs have the soft-touch feel? Is it possible that the sales rep at the AT&T store had it wrong, and that all of the back plates really DO have that soft-touch feel? Personally, it has caused me to change my views about getting the Cement colored back...

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
From what I have experienced, they all feel the same. Verizon had a display up yesterday showing a majority of the colors and they all felt the same (soft-touch plastic).

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I you go to the Moto maker site it gives a description of each colored back. Some say soft touch and others say smooth. There are are two different backing types and the color you choose determines the whether you get soft touch or smooth.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
They have different colors because, despite what you may think, you do not want a soft touch phone in a light color. Soft touch has too many grooves that will collect dirt and debris. On a dark color, this isn't a big deal because the color hides the dirt and you cant tell. On a light colored phone, it rapidly discolors the phone. I had a cyan Lumia 900 that was a soft touch finish. Within about a month you could tell where my hands touched my phone when I held it, and being in the food service industry, I wash my hands more often than most people. Within two or three months, the entire phone was nocitably darker than when I had bought it just from being in my pocket. On a white, cement, or blush colored Moto X, it would be even worse because they are even lighter colors than the cyan Lumia 900.

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for that info. I never would have noticed otherwise; I was too mesmerized by the giant spinning phone to bother reading any of the words on the screen.... I sincerely hope those notes were added to the MotoMaker site during the update yesterday, otherwise I'm going to feel like an even bigger ***** if they've been there this whole time and I didn't notice.

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I you go to the Moto maker site it gives a description of each colored back. Some say soft touch and others say smooth. There are are two different backing types and the color you choose determines the whether you get soft touch or smooth.

Thank you for that information. I was so mesmerized by the giant, spinning phone that I never bothered to see if there were any words there... I really hope those details for the colors haven't been there the entire time, and were just added during the system update yesterday, otherwise I'm going to feel like an even bigger fool.

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
They have different colors because, despite what you may think, you do not want a soft touch phone in a light color. Soft touch has too many grooves that will collect dirt and debris. On a dark color, this isn't a big deal because the color hides the dirt and you cant tell. On a light colored phone, it rapidly discolors the phone. I had a cyan Lumia 900 that was a soft touch finish. Within about a month you could tell where my hands touched my phone when I held it, and being in the food service industry, I wash my hands more often than most people. Within two or three months, the entire phone was nocitably darker than when I had bought it just from being in my pocket. On a white, cement, or blush colored Moto X, it would be even worse because they are even lighter colors than the cyan Lumia 900.

I appreciate you sharing your experience with your soft-touch phone. I wasn't aware of that stuff. I've never owned a phone that had soft-touch material on it, but now it makes sense why Moto would make a decision like that. Now all I have to do is figure out how all of this info will affect the decisions I make in MotoMaker. :)

Xader

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate you sharing your experience with your soft-touch phone. I wasn't aware of that stuff. I've never owned a phone that had soft-touch material on it, but now it makes sense why Moto would make a decision like that. Now all I have to do is figure out how all of this info will affect the decisions I make in MotoMaker. :)

IMHO, soft touch is the way to go. Better gripping surface, and doesn't smudge up or collect scratches like glossy finishes will.

Kamron Erani

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
damn... i posted a similar thread, i was under the impression they were all the same and opted for the cement. Still a great feeling phone though xD

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
IMHO, soft touch is the way to go. Better gripping surface, and doesn't smudge up or collect scratches like glossy finishes will.

I agree that soft touch feels much better, but soft touch and light colors are a bad combo. What's why I got a woven black x

Posted via Android Central App

Xader

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I agree that soft touch feels much better, but soft touch and light colors are a bad combo. What's why I got a woven black x

Posted via Android Central App

Yup, that's why Moto Maker only has soft touch on the darker colors. Personally, I'm willing to forego lighter colored devices if it means I get soft touch.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Yup, that's why Moto Maker only has soft touch on the darker colors. Personally, I'm willing to forego lighter colored devices if it means I get soft touch.

ohhh, interesting. I would think those harder colors would collect more dirt, it's such a weird texture, it's like rough stone. blech. So mad, the rasberry has it. But it makes sense now about the only the darker colors being soft. Hmmm. what to do. Might just have to go Navy, i really like the soft feel much better than the hard. I almost want to get the rasberry and coat it with rubber. lol.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site

I can agree with this because my first moto x was a cement back.. It was the smooth surface and boy was it slippery! The matte black (which I have now) is soft touch and it's awesome. Sticks to the hand nicely. It's like the new nexus 7 but maybe even a bit softer. Only way i'm giving up soft touch is for wood.

Xader

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I can agree with this because my first moto x was a cement back.. It was the smooth surface and boy was it slippery! The matte black (which I have now) is soft touch and it's awesome. Sticks to the hand nicely. It's like the new nexus 7 but maybe even a bit softer. Only way i'm giving up soft touch is for wood.

The same reason I only get cases that are soft touch. Better in the hand than gloss, and goes in and out of the pocket much better than silicone.

My personal fav is the Seidio Surface.

hobojoe196061

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I wish there was a dark back for the Dev edition, I love the look of my white back, but it is so slick...had to cover it with a case to be sure it wouldn's slip out of my hand..

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
The soft touch colors are
Navy
Olive
Royal Blue
Woven Black
Black
Crimson
Cabernet

Gosh, i really don't want any of those colors. I might just end up with woven black again. lol. What about one of those bumper things that fit around the phone, might those keep it from slipping out of my hand? are they annoying in any way?

Or maybe one of those screen protectors for the back.

Any other ideas for a remedy to the slipperyness of the smooth colors?

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I really like the cement back. If anyone has one , could you let me know how it is holding up?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I really like the cement back. If anyone has one , could you let me know how it is holding up?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

One person originally had the cement back. If I remember correctly they said it was smooth and not the soft touch of the darker colors. Also it can get dirty easy so some regular cleaning may be needed.

Sent from my Nexus 7