So how water-resistant is the Moto X?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
My understanding when the Moto X 2013 first came out is that they used the same coating that the Galaxy S4 Active used, which is the same basic stuff that used to be marketed as Liquipel and other brands back before that. The trouble is, the Galaxy S4 Active was overhyped as a "lifeproof" phone when the nanocoating is, at best, "water resistant". Very useful for rain or a quick dunk, but people were thinking the Active could be used for underwater photography and stuff.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that when Motorola announced the phone, they took one look at the horror show that was the Galaxy S4 Active's release from June and decided to downplay the coating for fear of a high return rate due to people saying "well, it looked like a great skipping stone shape, and I retrieved it at low tide 6 hours later, but it doesn't work and you said it was waterproof!" :)

Samsung is still using the same coating, which is great, but they are marketing it much less aggressively, which is wise.

Charles Merritt

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone had their Moto X fall into a pool or a toiler or a sink? I'm just wondering how resistant it really is. I saw a video from Squaretrade where they tested it against a few phones, but the water test was very brief.

Anyone personal stories that anyone can tell?

I dropped mine in a puddle, completely submerged with at least a five second submersion.. Never even turned off.. The speaker did not work for 10 minutes there it came back on, no problem.. I didn't even know it was water resistant.. 2014 Moto X

Angel5552471

May 30, 2016
Visit site
Oh and the moisture sensor is still white. Means its seen zero moisture. FYI, the sensor is in the Sim slot. Eject the Sim and tray, look into the slot and you'll see a white spot. If its pink, its been wet and warranty is void. If white, you're OK.

Posted via the Android Central App

My front and back camera is white and foggy I left it in rice for two days when will it work??!plus it works fine but the screen isn't appearing🙀

Cupiecupper

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site
That's why I said water-resistant and not waterproof. I was just wondering to what degree can the Moto X be submerged without damaging the phone. Obviously this is a difficult thing to test, but that's why I asked if anyone had an personal stories of accidents with water.
I just dropped mine texting my ex in my toilet, definitely works, not sure if it's **** resistant though.

zoryana_huley_1122

Dec 24, 2016
Visit site
I am speechless.....So I accidentally dropped my Moto X phone in the snow and couldn't find it for about a week or so. I found the phone,(it had no case) and set it in a bag of rice for about 20-30min and I took it out and it WORKED!!!! I was so surprised, that it still worked, these phones are phenomenal.

JG1993

Feb 13, 2017
Visit site
i just had exprienced this stuff
My moto x fall into toilet and now m having this black screen.... which can be solved by only moto service center

Mohit R

Sep 22, 2017
Visit site
Well, it's pretty water resistant. I went on a ride with my Moto X navigating me. Unfortunately it rained cats and dogs that day, and the phone got completely drenched. Got wet continuously in rain for about 4 hours.
Well, there were some random reboots on the way, I had no other option but to try and keep it alive, coz I needed navigation. But as soon as I reached my destination, I dried it with a hair drier, it's perfectly fine now. Four months after this incident, not a single problem as of now.