Touchless Control one step closer to being truly "touchless"

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Ahh I can't wait for my X to come today. Touchless controls look great, especially for the car since I'll have it set as a trusted Bluetooth device.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ahh I can't wait for my X to come today. Touchless controls look great, especially for the car since I'll have it set as a trusted Bluetooth device.

Mine comes Saturday and I'm so stoked! I have a Google Apps account that requires a PIN lock on my phone and I cannot wait to not have to type it all the time! My car has bluetooth, so that'll be a trusted device, I'll wear the heck out of a Moto Skip if it means I don't have to type my PIN all the time. Skip dots for my night stand and each end table in the living room, and I'm in business.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Mine comes Saturday and I'm so stoked! I have a Google Apps account that requires a PIN lock on my phone and I cannot wait to not have to type it all the time! My car has bluetooth, so that'll be a trusted device, I'll wear the heck out of a Moto Skip if it means I don't have to type my PIN all the time. Skip dots for my night stand and each end table in the living room, and I'm in business.

The screen doesn't have to already be on for the Skip to unlock the phone, right?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The screen doesn't have to already be on for the Skip to unlock the phone, right?

Nope. You set it up as a trusted Bluetooth device and so long as you are in range of it, you don't need your PIN. At least, not having my X yet, that is how I understand it to work.

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Nope. You set it up as a trusted Bluetooth device and so long as you are in range of it, you don't need your PIN. At least, not having my X yet, that is how I understand it to work.

I think he's referring to the skip, which, of course is not a BT device, so yes, the lockscreen must be showing for the skip or dots to work.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Touchless Control one step closer to being truly "touchless"

I think he's referring to the skip, which, of course is not a BT device, so yes, the lockscreen must be showing for the skip or dots to work.

Ah, I see. I thought the skip was a Bluetooth LE device. Is it just NFC?

- - - Updated - - -

Ugh...that kind of defeats the purpose of it.

Agreed

I'm thinking of picking up either a Zomm bluetooth leash for my keys or a Kensington Bluetooth tag. I know that I won't get the full functionality out of the Kensington tag without their Proximo Fob and an iPhone, but all I really want it for is to sit on my keyring and be a trusted bluetooth device.

Last edited:

skidmark

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site

Is there any way to have the touchless controls even when not driving? I like when I am driving that it reads to me my text messages. I would like that same feature when I am at home and I have my phone near by, but not with in arms reach.

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Is there any way to have the touchless controls even when not driving? I like when I am driving that it reads to me my text messages. I would like that same feature when I am at home and I have my phone near by, but not with in arms reach.

Maybe if you put it in car mode?

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

I'm thinking of picking up either a Zomm bluetooth leash for my keys or a Kensington Bluetooth tag. I know that I won't get the full functionality out of the Kensington tag without their Proximo Fob and an iPhone, but all I really want it for is to sit on my keyring and be a trusted bluetooth device.

Are you sure the Kensington works with the Moto X?

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Are you sure the Kensington works with the Moto X?

No I'm not, but for the price and with Amazon Prime (free shipping and free returns if it doesn't work) I'm willing to try it and return it if it doesn't since I don't really want the functionality of the Zomm, I just want a Bluetooth dongle to sit on my keys so I don't have to enter a PIN.

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

No I'm not, but for the price and with Amazon Prime (free shipping and free returns if it doesn't work) I'm willing to try it and return it if it doesn't since I don't really want the functionality of the Zomm, I just want a Bluetooth dongle to sit on my keys so I don't have to enter a PIN.

Please let us know how you like it when it arrives

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Please let us know how you like it when it arrives

Will do. I probably won't order it till tomorrow, so it should be here Monday or Tuesday. I'll let you all know if it works at all, and if so, how well.

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I just sent a text to my wife while sitting still in my living room, completely touchless. No car mode needed.

He's talking about Motorola Assist reading texts to him. I don't think that's possible unless you're in a car. There are 3rd party apps like AVX and Utter! than can do that though.

jc-Treo

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

That is correct for the magnetized skip that clips on your clothing. I think for the stickers, the screen does need to be on or at least showing an active notification, but usually just moving the phone is enough make this happen.

UPDATE- Just tested and saw that with the stickers, you do need to bring up the lock screen manually.

Last edited: