Motorola Lost Phone Features vs. Android Device Manager

readhpr

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
My brand new custom (Verizon) Moto X arrived yesterday. One of the first things I did after firing it up was to turn on Android Device Manager in the Settings->Security->Device Administrators. I have a persistent notification wanting me to set up Motorola's own "lost phone features". Is there any reason to set up the Motorola find-your-phone thing, or is it just redundant?

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Don't have a moto x yet but my thought is I'll probably stick to android device manager since I can secure my account with 2-factor authentication. Unless moto account offers something similar.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
My brand new custom (Verizon) Moto X arrived yesterday. One of the first things I did after firing it up was to turn on Android Device Manager in the Settings->Security->Device Administrators. I have a persistent notification wanting me to set up Motorola's own "lost phone features". Is there any reason to set up the Motorola find-your-phone thing, or is it just redundant?

its a redundant app... motorola eliminated most redundant apps fro moto X. this is one feature they didnt.

maybe because they started working on it way before google announced Android device manager

use ADM

readhpr

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Don't have a moto x yet but my thought is I'll probably stick to android device manager since I can secure my account with 2-factor authentication. Unless moto account offers something similar.

That's a good point about 2-factor authentication. I also looked around for Lost Device help on the Motorola website, and as far as I can tell it doesn't do anything more or different than Android Device Manager, which I already enabled as soon as I got the phone. So I just told the Motorola Lost Device setup No Thanks. Can always turn it on later if I change my mind.

Vaas

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I setup the Moto one, did not think about the Android device manager. Would rather use that.

Do you think there is issues with disabling the Moto one and enabling Android device manager?

android newb :)

readhpr

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I setup the Moto one, did not think about the Android device manager. Would rather use that.

Do you think there is issues with disabling the Moto one and enabling Android device manager?

android newb :)

Shouldn't be any problem. Go to Settings / Security / Device Administrators. From there, turn off the Motorola administrator and turn on Android Device Manager.

pdaniel219

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I haven't used the Android device manager, but I did try the Motorola one. Worked perfect. Even showed me what part of the house my phone was in.

pdaniel219

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure you will need the info from your phone. IMEI number or serial number or something if you haven't registered it with Motorola yet. You can do it all on the website.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I honestly have both set up. I figure redundancy is a good thing when it comes to security. They both do exactly the same thing, but Google's UI in the web app is a little better I think.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
When I tried ADM's locate-device feature, I saw a ton of wakelocks and my Moto X battery life really went south. Motorola's app does not seem to have this problem. I'm using Motorola's app for this important reason.