Wow... this phone just keeps surprising me. Battery life is incredible!

bd1212

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Re: Wow... this phone just keeps surprising me. Battery life incredible!

That custom chip + legendary Moto reception = amazing battery life. Dont really know much about the custom chip....but when you have phones that get good reception, they last longer vs. phones that dont. Phones with weaker reception work harder trying to get, maintain a signal.

Plus probably because of other lil features like the active notifications. I wonder whats the battery drain vs a notification light. I still prefer the notification light tho.

Yep, Moto makes awesome radios. I know the chip that they're using is very efficient and optimized as well, further increasing battery life. How come you prefer the notification light over active display? I'd guess battery drain is very very minimal with active display.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

How come you prefer the notification light over active display? I'd guess battery drain is very very minimal with active display.

Just something I'm used to. I dont have a Moto X yet....I just like being able to know whats up with my phone from almost across the room. My G Nex, it wasnt bright enough...my Rezound...it was too small.

But I am a big Moto fan, so I can forgive the notification light for everything else. I also miss FM Radio so I am also looking at an Atrix 2, HD, something. I'm going pre paid now so I got a few options for a Moto phone.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: Wow... this phone just keeps surprising me

Just from screenshots that reviewers had been posting online. I've also seen plenty of regular users posting only 2-4 hours of screen-on time, which is why I am so surprised. The fact that this phone can get 5 hours of screen-on time is nuts!
Keep in mind that your overall time is "only" 10.5 hours. 16 hours is much closer to a full day.

redeyss

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Battery life amazing here too, streamed music to Bluetooth speaker over WiFi for at least six hours and after 12 hours on and used sparingly I was over 50%. I was using WP8 Nokia devices previously but this phone might make me switch from my lumia 1020. Camera is tricky but I just take more shots til I get a good one.

Anybody try "I feel lucky radio" on Google music? It's freaking awesome!!!!

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app

renegademoose

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I was debating between this and the Droid MAXX. My last phone was the Razr HD MAXX. I usually sat at 60% battery life at the end of the day. I was a little nervous how I would handle the X. The past two days I have had about 20-30% left at the end of the day with normal to heavy use, so I'm pretty happy.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I was in the same position a few days ago, so I know your pain. :)

I just couldn't help posting this thread... I've NEVER seen battery life like this from an Android device unless it has a massive 3000+ mAh battery, and I DEFINITELY didn't see this kind of battery life out of the box from an Android phone either. It usually took a few days and required me to root the phone to freeze a bunch of manufacturer and carrier bloatware. The fact that the Moto X can get this kind of life on the first day out of the box is something I've never seen before.

I have gotten 6+ hours of screen time in my S4 over a 12 hour period.

Posted via Android Central App

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

Took mine off the charger at 5:00pm Saturday, and didn't have to put it back on the charger until I went to bed Sunday night.
The 2 hours of screen time Saturday night would have more than killed my GNex, but I had an entire day's use waiting for me on top of that.

105% satisfied.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

What Motorola has done with the battery life on the Moto X (and the 2013 DROIDs) has been nothing short of amazing. I've had my phone for almost 2 months now and I'm still impressed.

Big question is 6 to 12 months from now, how well will the battery perform.

bd1212

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Re: Wow... this phone just keeps surprising me

Keep in mind that your overall time is "only" 10.5 hours. 16 hours is much closer to a full day.

That's why I said I'm a heavy user. :) I can easily get 16+ hours out of it if I don't use it heavily like I did on the first day (had to set it up, download apps, etc.).

bd1212

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site

I have gotten 6+ hours of screen time in my S4 over a 12 hour period.

You're the exception then. Most people over at XDA can barely get 3.5-4 hours of screen-on time. Hell, I barely could even get 3 hours... after flashing numerous ROMs I finally found one that allowed me to get 4 hours of screen-on time. You must've been using your phone somewhere where you get excellent service and with your brightness very low, because 6+ hours of screen-on time on the S4 is damn near impossible.

Edit: Sorry for the double post.

andog88

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site

this is stunning. I got the moto x when it first came out and used it for about a week and my battery life was nothing like this, id drop 1% every minute or so while browsing on 4g, i downloaded a battery app and while youtube, my battery temp. would rise to 111-116 degrees, and a couple times while browsing on this exact website id drop 2% at once id get about 2 hours of on screen time, and the max i got was 3 and a half hours of on screen time just on wifi. so i ended up returning it for the htc one, but do definitely miss it. im going to pick up another moto x with the at&t next plan on december 3.

update: even with my brightness at the half way point. and usage consisted of instagram, texting, minor youtubing, and browsing. no emails no gps, nothing else

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site

Big question is 6 to 12 months from now, how well will the battery perform.

Think I read a review a few months ago saying to expect the battery to be about 80% after 12 months.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

You're the exception then. Most people over at XDA can barely get 3.5-4 hours of screen-on time. Hell, I barely could even get 3 hours... after flashing numerous ROMs I finally found one that allowed me to get 4 hours of screen-on time. You must've been using your phone somewhere where you get excellent service and with your brightness very low, because 6+ hours of screen-on time on the S4 is damn near impossible.

Edit: Sorry for the double post.

I have great service and brightness at around 1/4, all I need since I'm indoors in the morning (School/Home)

bd1212

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site

I have great service and brightness at around 1/4, all I need since I'm indoors in the morning (School/Home)

Yep, and that's why you get good battery life. Consistent lighting conditions and good service. In my case, I'm moving from building to building as I walk to different parts of my college's campus where both wifi and cell signal fluctuate wildly, and in varying amounts of sun/shade causing me to constantly change my display brightness. With my S4, battery life was horrible in these conditions. I couldn't make it from 7am-4pm, it would be dead by 2pm. The Moto X on the other hand can easily make it till 8 or 9pm with heavy use. With moderate use I can last until 11pm and sometimes even midnight.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Yep, and that's why you get good battery life. Consistent lighting conditions and good service. In my case, I'm moving from building to building as I walk to different parts of my college's campus where both wifi and cell signal fluctuate wildly, and in varying amounts of sun/shade causing me to constantly change my display brightness. With my S4, battery life was horrible in these conditions. I couldn't make it from 7am-4pm, it would be dead by 2pm. The Moto X on the other hand can easily make it till 8 or 9pm with heavy use. With moderate use I can last until 11pm and sometimes even midnight.
I have great service at home, but I also walk around campus a lot. In class I get 1-2 bars of LTE. In my math class I have zero signal because it's in the basement. I go into airplane mode during that class.
WiFi is decent but I only use it when I'm in class because the signal isn't as strong as outside.
I have used auto-brightness and I still get more than 4 and 1/2 hours of screen time.
I don't know if you were gaming on your phone or had GPS on the whole time but there's no reason you shouldn't have been able to get from 7 A.M. to 2 P.M.
That's only 7 hours

bd1212

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site

I have great service at home, but I also walk around campus a lot. In class I get 1-2 bars of LTE. In my math class I have zero signal because it's in the basement. I go into airplane mode during that class.
WiFi is decent but I only use it when I'm in class because the signal isn't as strong as outside.
I have used auto-brightness and I still get more than 4 and 1/2 hours of screen time.
I don't know if you were gaming on your phone or had GPS on the whole time but there's no reason you shouldn't have been able to get from 7 A.M. to 2 P.M.
That's only 7 hours

I keep wifi, bluetooth, gps, sync, etc. on at all times. Never go into airplane mode or anything. I don't think I should have to disable features just to get a phone to last me through the day. The Moto X can survive through the day with all of that on with no problems. It's great that you're able to get 6+ hours of screen-on time with your S4, but as I said, that isn't the case for most people. Anyways, back on topic please. :)

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I keep wifi, bluetooth, gps, sync, etc. on at all times. Never go into airplane mode or anything. I don't think I should have to disable features just to get a phone to last me through the day. The Moto X can survive through the day with all of that on with no problems. It's great that you're able to get 6+ hours of screen-on time with your S4, but as I said, that isn't the case for most people. Anyways, back on topic please. :)
I don't do it to get me through the day. I do it because I don't need it. If I have no service why have the radio on?
I don't need GPS unless I'm going somewhere I don't know how to get to and I don't use any bluetooth devices. :p
Anyway. The Moto X does have excellent battery. I have seen many people getting 4+ while people with their G2 are complaining about only getting 4-5 with that massive battery XD