Was about to pull trigger on Nexus 5 but...

robjulo

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
With the cyber monday sale, what is the downside to the Moto X as compared to the Nexus 5?

I understand new Android releases may be delayed by a couple of weeks and I understand the phone is slightly smaller (which for me is a plus). I also understand the lower resolution of the screen.

Since I can sideload the Google Experience Launcher, is there anything else the Nexus 5 has as a reason that I should be considering not to by the Moto X rather than the Nexus 5?

austinography

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
The enhanced caller ID feature which shows logo/street view of business that is calling, even if they aren't in your contacts. Seems like a pretty rockin' feature and I hope someone makes the .apk able to be side loaded on the Moto X in the near future, kinda like we do with GEL now.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
With the cyber monday sale, what is the downside to the Moto X as compared to the Nexus 5?

I understand new Android releases may be delayed by a couple of weeks and I understand the phone is slightly smaller (which for me is a plus). I also understand the lower resolution of the screen.

Since I can sideload the Google Experience Launcher, is there anything else the Nexus 5 has as a reason that I should be considering not to by the Moto X rather than the Nexus 5?

u pretty much nailed it.. added benefit is active notification,touchless control, trusted bluetooth etc

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I like the larger screen on the Nexus 5. I miss it when I switch back to the small icons, screen of the Moto X. Other than that the Moto X is a very smooth capable device! And you get 50 GB on Google Drive for 2 years with the Moto X!

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as you. Actually I had already ordered the N5, but it hasn't shipped yet and am seriously considering cancelling the order. The price difference has been the deciding difference between the two, but now that the prices will be the same, I'm not sure what to do. I like the fact that the N5 has both CDMA and GSM radios (I am currently on Ting [Sprint MVNO] but Sprint is bad in our area).

A big selling point for me is the battery life, which the X is supposed to shine over the N5, but in real world testing I wonder if there is that big of a difference between the two (looks like both are getting 4-5 hours of on-screen time, which would be awesome compared to what I am used to).

robjulo

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
The enhanced caller ID feature which shows logo/street view of business that is calling, even if they aren't in your contacts. Seems like a pretty rockin' feature and I hope someone makes the .apk able to be side loaded on the Moto X in the near future, kinda like we do with GEL now.

I thought the enhanced caller ID was just part of Kit Kat and therefore would be available on the Moto X, do I have that wrong?

EDIT: I did some further research and I was wrong, it is a Nexus 5 exclusive.

Last edited:

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

In my opinion these are the two best android devices available to date. I left the moto x for the n5 so I'll try to give you the pluses and minuses of both.

I thought I would miss active notifications more than I do. The only thing I miss from the moto x features is moto connect (the ability to text from a chrome browser extension).

At first, I was really worried about the battery life on the n5 but after using it for about 3 weeks, it has settled in nicely and while it's not quite as strong as the x, I still get over 20 hours with 4 or so hours of screen on time. I can't imagine that not being good enough for most users.

Overall I like the larger, more sharp display and overall size of the n5.

If you root or like to flash custom Roms, the n5 is your choice. The moto x has no development to speak of but if you don't care about that then it doesn't matter.

Overall you can't go wrong with either device. Flip a coin lol.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
And of course if you want custom colors go for the Moto X. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Hey, the Nexus 5 offers custom colors as long as you like black or white lol! I must be one boring dude since I custom ordered a fully black Moto X on motomaker! I saw too many customized 32GB Moto X's trying to be sold on ebay...where as the black or white phones were going quickly and for more money. Something to think about if you are thinking resell value.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Hey, the Nexus 5 offers custom colors as long as you like black or white lol! I must be one boring dude since I custom ordered a fully black Moto X on motomaker! I saw too many customized 32GB Moto X's trying to be sold on ebay...where as the black or white phones were going quickly and for more money. Something to think about if you are thinking resell value.

Exactly why I went solid black when I had one. If you have a green and yellow phone, your interested buyers during resale will have to be packers fans.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Haha, I would get what I want though and not think about resale value. It's nice you like custom all black! :D

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20