Where the H is Google Play Edition Moto X?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
with LG and Sony announcing google play edition devices where the hell is google play edition moto X?

would love to see it Moto X GP edition... that would make me so much happy

grn4frk

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Would there be a point? You (presumably) would lose active notifications and touchless controls for pure stock android and essentially keep the same software. Updates are just as fast,if not faster, than GPE devices and we already have almost stock android.

Posted via Android Central App

GNexROC

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes. There is zero point to a Google play edition. There will not be one. The X has stock android with a couple extra features that make it the phone it is.

dbam987

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I can't see myself without the functionality if active notification and touch-less controls. Killer features for me. All around solid device.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Would there be a point? You (presumably) would lose active notifications and touchless controls for pure stock android and essentially keep the same software. Updates are just as fast,if not faster, than GPE devices and we already have almost stock android.

Yeah, I don't see the point.

Yes. There is zero point to a Google play edition. There will not be one. The X has stock android with a couple extra features that make it the phone it is.

I can't see myself without the functionality if active notification and touch-less controls. Killer features for me. All around solid device.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
then u guys are missing the whole point about GPE Devices. its not about selling, Moto-Google dont care if it sell at all and google didn't do the GPE program just for the sake of doing it..

Android development has been closed source and when time comes code is released to all.. with GPE now Samsung/HTC/Sony/LG gets 3 months early access to Android code.

So what does Moto X GPE do to us??? even faster update than the 20 days delay... look at sprint Moto X for example...

bbycrts

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
then u guys are missing the whole point about GPE Devices. its not about selling, Moto-Google dont care if it sell at all and google didn't do the GPE program just for the sake of doing it..

Android development has been closed source and when time comes code is released to all.. with GPE now Samsung/HTC/Sony/LG gets 3 months early access to Android code.

So what does Moto X GPE do to us??? even faster update than the 20 days delay... look at sprint Moto X for example...

So...why not get the developer edition?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

You would lose the thing that sets the X apart from other flagships. And again, the X got updated faster than the N4 for 4.4, a lot faster than the GPE.
The reason there is a GPE One, S4 and Z is because those phones are heavily skinned. The X is not

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

You're not going to get a much faster update than what happened when we got KitKat. Even the Google Play edition phones didn't get the update as fast as the X. The X got updated the same day as the Nexus 4. The Sprint delay has everything to do with their particular implementation of Google Wallet and Google Voice. Other than those two, the Sprint and Verizon software should be nearly identical. The other manufacturers need the extra time with the software because they heavily skin Android on their phones. Motorola doesn't. It is debatable whether what Motorola does should even be considered a skin. They have show that nearly all of their "modifications" are basically just apps that run on top of Android, which is why they can update them via the Play Store. I promise, if it were that easy for other manufacturers to update parts of their phone with out updating their entire framework, they would do the same thing Motorola is doing and update through the Play Store. Motorola gains nothing from offering a GPe phone.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Motorola's minor adjustments to Android are probably the best part of the Moto X. Without them you might as well get a Nexus 5.

S.Meezy

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Motorola's minor adjustments to Android are probably the best part of the Moto X. Without them you might as well get a Nexus 5.

I've already disabled all Motorola software, or as far as i can. Sure active notifications are nice but after 3.5 years, i have gotten used to looking at my status bar to see what notifications i have at a glance. Notification lights can be customized by app so i know if i want to look at it or not based on color. I also rely heavily on lock screen music controls which i can't access with AN. Or for those of us on Verizon which there wouldn't be a GPE anyway... I got the X because it's the closest to stock I'll ever see again in my lifetime on VZW. I got the Dev edition in case I get the itch to flash and hack away. I would love to have a pure stock option without tinkering. Been there for too long, it's becoming too much to keep up with personally; when a new ROM comes out, what extras they bring, bugs, etc.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza