Moto X - keyboard/messaging help

lbee13

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I have had my moto x activated for a week now - when I first got it, the keyboard was just fine but then I think it updated. Now when I receive messages that contain smilies, I no longer get smilies (I just get the actual colon & hyphen, and other character). I have the emojis, but the people I send them do only get a blank box.
I have downloaded several other keyboards, yet, I still don't receive smilies. Also, even when I try to click which keyboard I want as the default, the google keyboard stays highlighted.
I am currently using jelly bean keyboard (as the buttons are more like what I want), yet the smilies are still not showing. Any ideas? Seems like google keyboard has highjacked my phone (or at least smilies!) :'(

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums.
You can try clearing the cache for the keyboard. Settings>Apps>Google Keyboard>clear cache.

lbee13

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
No, and it doens't clean out the cache either (the same amount stays there). I also tried the clear cache instructions from motorola but that didn't change anything either. Any other tips? Smilies are the end all, but to me it seems like there is more going on...

MHBlink8

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Are you using Hangouts for SMS? I am and I see all of the emoji's and I can add them through the hangouts menu, which I need since I use Swiftkey.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
No, and it doens't clean out the cache either (the same amount stays there). I also tried the clear cache instructions from motorola but that didn't change anything either. Any other tips? Smilies are the end all, but to me it seems like there is more going on...

Perhaps clearing data?

From a Sprint Moto X

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance