Worth The Switch?

Gabe Raffinan

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Currently have an iPhone 5S. All I know is Apple to this day, I've owned an S4, G2 & HTC One and returned em all. What's really calling my name is the battery life and the size of the Moto X, plus the fact that it's only $49 right now. I'm 17 and all I do is take pictures on Instagram & social network/listen to music 24/7 so that's why i'm turning to you guys and asking.. is it worth the switch? My only concerns is the storage & the camera. I LOVED the fact that I could customize Android phones to my liking as with the 5S.. it's iOS6 w/ cooler icons & a swipe up feature. That's it. AT&T's already mad at me for reverting so many upgrades so I hope this is my final decision. Let me know what you all think.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
No.

If all you do is take pictures and you currently own a 5s you'll be returning the Moto X within 3hrs. The Moto X camera is horrible in comparison. Im a HUGE Moto X advocate but I've tried to get 5s owners that are camera only users to cross this bridge and it never happens because of poor X quality pics.

Everything about the Moto X in my opinion is better than the 5s but the camera, that's all the iPhone has.

Posted via Android Central App

Gabe Raffinan

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I mean I take pictures for Instagram & work assignments for class... that's it. So it's not too serious but i'll also be committing to another 2 year so I wanna make sure I love the phone. The only one thing i've found about Apple is that it's more stable.. that's all.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I mean I take pictures for Instagram & work assignments for class... that's it. So it's not too serious but i'll also be committing to another 2 year so I wanna make sure I love the phone. The only onte thing i've found about Apple is that it's more stable.. that's all.

Stability won't be an issue with the Moto X. The androids you've owned were all heavily skinned.

If camera quality isn't going to get to you I would say give the X a try. The features are what will win you over on top of the customizations you are looking to do.

When I interact with my phone in the car using moto assist and touchless controls as my phone sits in a Nav dock it makes all of my iPhone owning friends a bit jealous.

Posted via Android Central App

ethertwist

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
From what you described as your priorities, I would say your best bet is a 64gb iPhone 5s as it would fulfill both or your requirements: storage (for music, photos, etc.) and great camera. The Moto X and Android are terrific in that they are highly customizable, but it sounds like you're already steeped in the Apple ecosphere. The price of the Moto X on contract is also very appealing, but if you're looking for a primary device for 2 years, I would say go for something that will reliably meet your long term needs rather than quell your short term curiosity.

Gabe Raffinan

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
From what you described as your priorities, I would say your best bet is a 64gb iPhone 5s as it would fulfill both or your requirements: storage (for music, photos, etc.) and great camera. The Moto X and Android are terrific in that they are highly customizable, but it sounds like you're already steeped in the Apple ecosphere. The price of the Moto X on contract is also very appealing, but if you're looking for a primary device for 2 years, I would say go for something that will reliably meet your long term needs rather than quell your short term curiosity.

Dang.. this made me think heavy now lol. The one thing I admit missing through on Android - Access to The Pirate Bay lol. I'm just SO tired and fed up with iOS.. It literally is the same thing as every other iPhone i've owned. I might consider giving the X a shot, worst comes to worst i'll just get my 5S back

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
The X very nice. But if pictures are important to you then you may want to consider keeping your 5s. The Moto X camera is worse than my iPhone 5, it might be serviceable. It's low light performance is much worse than the iPhone. The camera is probably the only thing bad about the Moto X. It's great all around. The software is good and no lag. The battery seems really good to me. I love the size, it's not much larger than the iPhone.

Android does have the occasional hiccup, jittery scrolling here or there, a brief pause moving about, apps crash. But my Nexus 7 behaves very similar so I think that's Android and not the device. Things are far more stable and fluid on iOS.

I am going to be keeping my iPhone 5 and the Moto X.

Sent from my XT1053 using AC Forums mobile app

ethertwist

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Dang.. this made me think heavy now lol. The one thing I admit missing through on Android - Access to The Pirate Bay lol. I'm just SO tired and fed up with iOS.. It literally is the same thing as every other iPhone i've owned. I might consider giving the X a shot, worst comes to worst i'll just get my 5S back

I agree, iOS is really kind of boring and unexciting. It's hard to ever make it feel like it's your own and the screen size is too small. I had an iPhone 4s for a year and half and it took great pictures and the call quality was good, but it wasn't really fun to use, just functional. I don't take a lot of pictures, but if I did, I would probably stick with iPhone though (or go for a Samsung phone, but TouchWiz is kind of ugly). If you can try the X without commitment, then go for it!

Gabe Raffinan

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
EXACTLY. The iPhone is just there.... to be there. It does what it has to do, but that's about it. PLAIN BORING. NO way to customize it unless you jailbreak it but that slows it down slower than TouchWiz w/ the S4.. geez. No win-win here lol.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
If you like Android and hate TouchWiz, then the Moto X is a good bet. The camera really isn't THAT bad. People talk as though it's unusable. It's just inconsistent. Check out the photo thread at the top of the board.

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I mean I take pictures for Instagram & work assignments for class... that's it. So it's not too serious but i'll also be committing to another 2 year so I wanna make sure I love the phone. The only one thing i've found about Apple is that it's more stable.. that's all.

the camera isn't bad at all. mine had always worked great and came out with good pictures, we're all not professional photographers here

Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
You don't need the lumia to take pictures of your food for Instagram the X camera is plenty decent enough and it's the best phone I've had and I've been the same way as you, I've been thru 5 major phones this year and I'm staying with the X

Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X

gingersnapgirl

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm no expert photographer, but I haven't had any issues with the camera that weren't due to my own inadequacies at picture taking. My hands aren't the steadiest, so sometimes, the image is blurred, but that's not the fault of the camera. I'm satisfied with the quality of the pictures, but all I'm doing with them is posting them on facebook/instagram or sending them to friends and family - they're no works of art, but really, if you're expecting that from a camera phone, I think your expectations are way too high.

Crimsonforce

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Pretty much agree with what most people have said. I tried a 5s for a couple of months and the camera on the moto x is a step down. Everything else about the moto x is better IMO. I had always used android and tried iOS and it just wasn't for me, so if you are really use to iOS, you may not be able to get used to android to fit your needs.

Lynx

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I can give first hand experience on this. I have an iPhone 5s and got my Moto X on Tuesday. Honestly it's a good phone for sure. However I would not sign a 2 year contract on it. With the speed of technology advancing I just don't see this lasting that long and still being a viable phone.

While the OS itself is smooth I don't think it's anywhere near as smooth from top to bottom as iOS. With that said I have a developer account so I am running iOS 7.1 beta 2 and it's drastically improved from 7.0.4 in terms of speed.

The camera on the moto X is ok at best but it's very inconsistent (check my signature I know a thing or two about photographs lol).

With all that said I really like the moto x. Fantastic phone, battery is about the same as my iPhone maybe a little better (takes way longer to charge though), feels fantastic in the hand, and I like the screen. Also the active display is pretty cool but my favorite feature was touch less control. Implanted very well.

Honestly if you have an upgrade now I would keep the iPhone 5s and hold off a few months to see what's coming. Just my 2 pennies.

Gabe Raffinan

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I can give first hand experience on this. I have an iPhone 5s and got my Moto X on Tuesday. Honestly it's a good phone for sure. However I would not sign a 2 year contract on it. With the speed of technology advancing I just don't see this lasting that long and still being a viable phone.

While the OS itself is smooth I don't think it's anywhere near as smooth from top to bottom as iOS. With that said I have a developer account so I am running iOS 7.1 beta 2 and it's drastically improved from 7.0.4 in terms of speed.

The camera on the moto X is ok at best but it's very inconsistent (check my signature I know a thing or two about photographs lol).

With all that said I really like the moto x. Fantastic phone, battery is about the same as my iPhone maybe a little better (takes way longer to charge though), feels fantastic in the hand, and I like the screen. Also the active display is pretty cool but my favorite feature was touch less control. Implanted very well.

Honestly if you have an upgrade now I would keep the iPhone 5s and hold off a few months to see what's coming. Just my 2 pennies.

That helped a lot. I paid $250 for my 5s & Moto is running that $350 deal again so I was possibly thinking about returning the 5s, revert that upgrade & throw another $100 in to get a motp x off contract so I have an upgrade just so I can keep my options open & worst comes to worst, sell the Moto X & re-upgrade.