Curious - any thoughts

manhattan123

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Every night when I go to sleep I put my X in Airplane mode so I don't get woken up by alerts, emails, texts, etc. Every morning when I go to put it back on, the New York Times app has somehow managed to get the "Today in the NY Times" message on the phone, a feature I signed up for that highlights 10 or 15 stories in that day's paper and puts an alert in the notification bar. Anyone have any thoughts on how it's doing this?

I thought putting a phone in Airplane mode basically cuts it off from the outside world. Nothing else has arrived on the X during the night. When I take it out of Airplane mode, after a few seconds the weather app refreshes and I get notifications for emails or texts that have come in during the night. But the Times app has somehow gotten through.

Obviously this is not a pressing issue, and not even a problem as it doesn't make a noise when it comes in, I'm just curious how it's happening. Any thoughts?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Every night when I go to sleep I put my X in Airplane mode so I don't get woken up by alerts, emails, texts, etc. Every morning when I go to put it back on, the New York Times app has somehow managed to get the "Today in the NY Times" message on the phone, a feature I signed up for that highlights 10 or 15 stories in that day's paper and puts an alert in the notification bar. Anyone have any thoughts on how it's doing this?

I thought putting a phone in Airplane mode basically cuts it off from the outside world. Nothing else has arrived on the X during the night. When I take it out of Airplane mode, after a few seconds the weather app refreshes and I get notifications for emails or texts that have come in during the night. But the Times app has somehow gotten through.

Obviously this is not a pressing issue, and not even a problem as it doesn't make a noise when it comes in, I'm just curious how it's happening. Any thoughts?

A good counter question is: The highlights...are they accurate? Meaning are they fresh news? If so, I don't know what to say. Putting the phone in Airplane mode should deactivate all power to the radios. Unless it somehow switches over to a wifi signal?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
i think the app download tomorrows stories way before you put it to aeroplane mode...

its a news paper isnt?? they have the news ready the previous day

manhattan123

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
A good counter question is: The highlights...are they accurate? Meaning are they fresh news? If so, I don't know what to say. Putting the phone in Airplane mode should deactivate all power to the radios. Unless it somehow switches over to a wifi signal?

Yes, they are the highlights from that day's paper, new ones every day. If it was switching to wi-fi wouldn't my emails be coming in also? Any new ones don't arrive until I have turned Airplane mode off when I get up.

manhattan123

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
i think the app download tomorrows stories way before you put it to aeroplane mode...

its a news paper isnt?? they have the news ready the previous day

Hmm, I guess it could be doing that, but would it be able to send the alert (which is the NY Times logo) to the notification bar while in Airplane mode?

manhattan123

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
yes, thats totally possible... Notifications are Android feature and any app can send notification without the internet

I did not know that! Ok, that seems to make sense then. Well that was a quick solve to something that had been puzzling me for the last few weeks. Thanks! :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood