Moto X $399 off contract this morning

dsw1519

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Did you see my edit about the Droid 4 having a micro SIM card?

Also, are you on a family share plan? If so, there are ways to use your unlimited data line's upgrade. Check out the verizon forum on AC.

I did see that - thanks. I just have a single line unlimited data plan (not family).

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I did see that - thanks. I just have a single line unlimited data plan (not family).
There are posters that claim that if you order an upgrade on your unlimited data line from best buy online, do not select a new plan, and have it shipped to your home, and then swap an already activated SIM card to activate the new device, you keep your unlimited data. You would have to cut down your micro SIM to fit the nano SIM of the Moto X. You can buy SIM cutters on ebay.

There is a poster (otwok) who is currently awaiting his device ordered this way to try it to see if it works for him and promised to report back and let us know. You can follow his posts here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon/347000-bestbuy-mobile-lets-me-keep-unlimited-data-5.html#post3358652

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
What carrier on you on? If you are on Verizon or ATT you cannot unlock the bootloader on the motomaker Moto X's, only the Dev Eds. If you are on US Celler, TMobile or Sprint, you can unlock the bootloader but it voids your warranty. So if you are Verizon or ATT, it will definitely help with resale value to have a Dev Ed.

I'm on T-Mobile. What about the white back do you hate? Is it super slippery?

dsw1519

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
There are posters that claim that if you order an upgrade on your unlimited data line from best buy online, do not select a new plan, and have it shipped to your home, and then swap an already activated SIM card to activate the new device, you keep your unlimited data. You would have to cut down your micro SIM to fit the nano SIM of the Moto X. You can buy SIM cutters on ebay.

There is a poster (otwok) who is currently awaiting his device ordered this way to try it to see if it works for him and promised to report back and let us know. You can follow his posts here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon/347000-bestbuy-mobile-lets-me-keep-unlimited-data-5.html#post3358652

Thanks for the tip. I will subscribe to his thread. I will most likely still go the off contract way though. I hate being "stuck" with a phone for 2 years, plus when the X replacement comes out I could more easily get one (assuming the off contract price is good).

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm on T-Mobile. What about the white back do you hate? Is it super slippery?
No, not slippery although the black woven back one I got for my mom does feel more "grippy".

I posted about my hate for the white woven back here:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-x/343315-woven-white-back-moto-x-dev-ed-really-ugly.html

It is not really textured, just a pattern stamped on the white back. My ATT store has them in store if you want to see them in person. My Verizon store only had the woven black. Obviously, others like the white woven back and chose that for themselves so you may like it to. Best to check it out in person if you can.

dsw1519

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Just pulled the trigger on 32GB Moto X @$449 off contract pricing with VZW. Should receive it in a few days. THANK YOU to everyone for the info. So looking forward to getting this phone and keeping my VZW Unlimited data.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Just pulled the trigger on 32GB Moto X @$449 off contract pricing with VZW. Should receive it in a few days. THANK YOU to everyone for the info. So looking forward to getting this phone and keeping my VZW Unlimited data.
If the Best Buy loophole ends up working, what I suggest is that you sign up for the Best Buy reserve gift card in early February (it usually lasts only a few days, so you have to pay attention). Then when your upgrade becomes available, get a 16GB iPhone 5s with your upgrade. It uses a nano SIM card like the Moto X. Then you can activate the iPhone with the Moto X nano SIM card, swap the nano SIM card back to your Moto X and then sell the iPhone. If you pay $200 for the iPhone 5s on contract, you should be able to net at least $300 when you sell it after shipping, listing fees and paypal fees (and more if you sell locally). Plus you'll have the $50 gift card to spend at Best Buy.

Or save the upgrade and use it when the Moto X2 comes out! But still sign up for the Best Buy reserve gift card in February since this may be the only option to keep your unlimited data and use your upgrade.

dsw1519

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Or save the upgrade and use it when the Moto X2 comes out! But still sign up for the Best Buy reserve gift card in February since this may be the only option to keep your unlimited data and use your upgrade.

This. Saving the upgrade for possible future use. If a similar deal (off contract deal) comes up for the X2 (or whatever replaces it), I would probably go that route.

I just received the confirmation from moto that I will receive my X on Monday by fed ex. Went with a black phone with the black woven back.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I hope this trend continues with Motorola phones. Looks like Google is using Motorola as another weapon to take down the carriers and subsidies.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I hope this trend continues with Motorola phones. Looks like Google is using Motorola as another weapon to take down the carriers and subsidies.

absolutely... although i wish it was priced $350 for 16gb since Nexus 5 is priced the same..
I would love to see moto X get much more popular than what is is now..

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I am only against subsidies if they lower our wireless plan prices and at least with Verizon, they don't seem to be doing that (e.g., Edge program - no subsidy but no wireless plan discount, either!).

snoking

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I am only against subsidies if they lower our wireless plan prices and at least with Verizon, they don't seem to be doing that (e.g., Edge program - no subsidy but no wireless plan discount, either!).

Edge is like the home loans that caused the 2008 market crash. That is selling something to people that can not afford it.

Chris

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm... Wonder what this means for the next flagship? Sooner than August maybe? Awful quick to be lowering off contract price this much. They must have some sort of game plan.

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Price is great especially if youre looking for the wood backs which was too high priced at the $599 for 16 gig. I keep reading that more premium materials will be used in the future. Even aluminum . Id also like this phone to get more recognition. Could you imagine if the X2 came out with all the same great features, a slight bump in specs and an aluminum casing?? People go crazy for build material. .this phone would be considered by the masses at that point. Unfortunately Samsung may be finally catching on as well with the s5 maybe having a metal construction. And we all know people love themselves some gimmicky Sammys .lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

dsw1519

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Could you imagine if the X2 came out with all the same great features, a slight bump in specs and an aluminum casing?? People go crazy for build material. .this phone would be considered by the masses at that point. Unfortunately Samsung may be finally catching on as well with the s5 maybe having a metal construction. And we all know people love themselves some gimmicky Sammys .lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Agreed. I was going to buy the Galaxy Nexus when it came out, but when I went to the store and saw how flimsy and cheap the plastic back was I decided against buying it. Even though I'm not really hard on my phones, I couldn't imagine that phone holding up for 2 years.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm... Wonder what this means for the next flagship? Sooner than August maybe? Awful quick to be lowering off contract price this much. They must have some sort of game plan.
I suspect they are taking a loss on these in order to get the phone in more hands. They are trying to rebuild their brand.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. I was going to buy the Galaxy Nexus when it came out, but when I went to the store and saw how flimsy and cheap the plastic back was I decided against buying it. Even though I'm not really hard on my phones, I couldn't imagine that phone holding up for 2 years.
I bought 2 spare backs for my GNex - one for the standard battery and one for the extended battery. Never needed either and I never plugged my GNex into a charger - even at night - just swapped batteries so I opened up the back at least twice a day to replace the batteries. This probably wasn't good for the batteries but I didn't have a dock for my GNex and I had too many other things plugged into my outlets in my bedroom so this is what I did.

The backs did feel cheap, though, but they were surprisingly durable.

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I suspect they are taking a loss on these in order to get the phone in more hands. They are trying to rebuild their brand.

They may lose money overall after all the overhead (development costs, marketing, etc.) is factored in (though I doubt it), but I really can't see them losing money with a starting price of $399 if all you consider is the production cost per unit.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
They may lose money overall after all the overhead (development costs, marketing, etc.) is factored in (though I doubt it), but I really can't see them losing money with a starting price of $399 if all you consider is the production cost per unit.

None of us knows the production costs. All we can know is the price of the various components. Then there is the cost of assembling them in the US, which of course is higher than devices assembled in China, by a lot I am sure.