Thinking on installing the google experience launcher on my 4.4 Moto X. thoughts?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I've been using GEL exclusively since the 4.4 update rolled and other than a couple of things that I miss about wallpaper re-sizing, etc from Nova, it's been working great. I don't recall the exact process, but I think it was pretty close to as simple as installing the Google Search APK, but I'm not sure that it's not already part of the search app that we have straight from Moto, because I don't have a separate icon for it anymore in my app drawer.

robjulo

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
For those saying it works great and there are no issues, that is a bit of an overstatement. There is a known issue where the OK Google Voice Commands no longer work under Kit Kat. There are threads on numerous forums about it including XDA, the Moto forums and the Google+ Moto X page. Touchless Controls voice commands work fine so it may not be a big deal to some, but others may find them much slower and more cumbersome to use contextual searches.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
For those saying it works great and there are no issues, that is a bit of an overstatement. There is a known issue where the OK Google Voice Commands no longer work under Kit Kat. There are threads on numerous forums about it including XDA, the Moto forums and the Google+ Moto X page. Touchless Controls voice commands work fine so it may not be a big deal to some, but others may find them much slower and more cumbersome to use contextual searches.

There were some compatibility issues prior to the 4.4 update, but for almost two months it's been working flawlessly. What's not working? My phone hasn't found out that it's broken yet. It sends texts, places phone calls, checks the weather, retreives scores, appointments, schedules reminders, opens apps and obviously does searches. Do you mean saying, "okay google" from within the search screen? The moto X loses no functionality by using GEL, it just has a couple of conflicts where Moto functionality overrides the launcher. Otherwise I'm not yet clear on what you mean.

robjulo

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
it just has a couple of conflicts where Moto functionality overrides the launcher. .

Which is in essence, exactly what I said. Prior to Kit Kat, Touchless Controls did not override the launcher, after Kit Kat, it does, whether by design or a bug. (Look at the mic in the Google Search bar, it is hollow after Kit Kat --- It wasn't before Kit Kat). Again, there are threads about this exact issue on the Moto X forums, the XDA forums and Google+. Matt Jones (who works at Motorola) was looking into the issue.

The main issue is Touchless Controls are slower and you have to say "OK Google Now" each time to do contextual searches.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Why do people treat installing apps like it's a lifetime commitment? Just load it and try it yourself. Worst thing that happens is you don't like it, you uninstall it, and you're back to exactly where you were in the first place.

It's an Android phone -- friggin' tinker with the damn thing for chrissakes.

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
The GEL voice command overrides motorola voice. Seeing the limits of each i think ill go back to swiping google so that the difference between the 2 is more defined overwise its duplicative.

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site

There were some compatibility issues prior to the 4.4 update, but for almost two months it's been working flawlessly. What's not working? My phone hasn't found out that it's broken yet. It sends texts, places phone calls, checks the weather, retreives scores, appointments, schedules reminders, opens apps and obviously does searches. Do you mean saying, "okay google" from within the search screen? The moto X loses no functionality by using GEL, it just has a couple of conflicts where Moto functionality overrides the launcher. Otherwise I'm not yet clear on what you mean.

Saying ok google to initiate or continue searches has been broken by Motorola on our kit kat update. I used gel during the few weeks between the nexus 5 being available and moto X getting kitkat and everything worked flawlessly on jelly bean. But now the microphone is hollow within the launcher and Google now app indicating no connection and subsequent unresponsiveness to the hot word. My nexus 10 retains the filled in mic and responds to ok google as was standard in Google now for a long time (previously hot word was simply 'google') It's very useful especially when you are looking at search results and want to search for something else.

Obviously, the Moto X specific system wide ok google *now* touchless control still works, but it is not the same thing, and thus is something that used to work fine but now does not

-Nexus 10-

crackers8199

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
just got my moto x a few days ago and today thought i'd give the GEL launcher a try, as my gnex was running a 4.4 rom that had it as the default launcher...

has anyone else noticed a bug that if you have a lock pattern set, when you use touchless control while the screen is off and then press the home button, you can see your home screen? the phone is still actually locked, you can't swipe down notifications and when you press any icon on the home screen it'll go to the lock pattern asking you to unlock the phone, but it doesn't go right back to the lock screen as the stock launcher does...is this actually a bug or is there something i can do to fix it?

edit: actually, you can even press the all apps icon and swipe through your apps...when you try to use one, it'll bring up the lock screen.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
just got my moto x a few days ago and today thought i'd give the GEL launcher a try, as my gnex was running a 4.4 rom that had it as the default launcher...

has anyone else noticed a bug that if you have a lock pattern set, when you use touchless control while the screen is off and then press the home button, you can see your home screen? the phone is still actually locked, you can't swipe down notifications and when you press any icon on the home screen it'll go to the lock pattern asking you to unlock the phone, but it doesn't go right back to the lock screen as the stock launcher does...is this actually a bug or is there something i can do to fix it?

edit: actually, you can even press the all apps icon and swipe through your apps...when you try to use one, it'll bring up the lock screen.

Not sure if that's a bug or not, but sounds like it may be intentional given that the implied potential security risk is shored up.

crackers8199

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if that's a bug or not, but sounds like it may be intentional given that the implied potential security risk is shored up.

The stock launcher doesn't do this. When I use touchless control with the screen off and then press home, it goes to the pattern lock screen...which is what I would expect.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

charlee08

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Don't understand why you would put GEL on a Moto X. Only perk you would get us swipe left for Google Now. You already have the "Okay Google" feature installed from factory.

Just use Nova or Apex.

Posted via Android Central App

robjulo

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
One reason would be that Touchless Controls "Okay Google" takes longer and I believe requires you to say "Okay Google" for all contextual services. Motorola confirmed on Google+ that this is a bug that was introduced in Kit Kat and they are working on it.

From Richard Hung (product manager) "We are aware of the issue and working with Google on how to reconcile it and reconcile the different triggers. The problem arose because of a change in how KK implemented the hotword in Google Now."

Don't understand why you would put GEL on a Moto X. Only perk you would get us swipe left for Google Now. You already have the "Okay Google" feature installed from factory.

Just use Nova or Apex.

Posted via Android Central App

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I just installed it and I absolutely love it! It only creates an extra home screen when u need it, widgets are actually in a better place instead of being lumped up with the icons, and google now is actually useful. Also, when you're passing through apps, you actually get to see the background still as opposed to the all black background you get using the regular OS. Very well done and streamlined. Actually looks like iOS7 with an extra bag of tricks!

crackers8199

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I just installed it and I absolutely love it! It only creates an extra home screen when u need it, widgets are actually in a better place instead of being lumped up with the icons, and google now is actually useful. Also, when you're passing through apps, you actually get to see the background still as opposed to the all black background you get using the regular OS. Very well done and streamlined. Actually looks like iOS7 with an extra bag of tricks!

I like it as well, but I'm not going to use it full time until they fix the lock screen bug I mentioned earlier...

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34