Moto X: Signal problems where my Galaxy Nexus had none

reversalagent

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Signal problems where my Galaxy Nexus had none

I think it is a range of the dBm. What the values are, I do not know.
However, I do know that -60 is about as perfect as it gets, and -120 is crap.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Before the reset, the Moto X was around -150 dBm and after the reset is around -120 to -90 dBm. Hence I can't tell for sure if this is normal or a radio issue. As I was driving home and talking, I looked back and it was green. While outside later, it was back to orangish again. I might have to pull out the Rezound and see if it was similar, even though I know they are completely different radios, manufacturers, etc.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Before the reset, the Moto X was around -150 dBm and after the reset is around -120 to -90 dBm. Hence I can't tell for sure if this is normal or a radio issue. As I was driving home and talking, I looked back and it was green. While outside later, it was back to orangish again. I might have to pull out the Rezound and see if it was similar, even though I know they are completely different radios, manufacturers, etc.

What carrier are you on?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Check out Sensorly .com, and see how your coverage is. If it seems good, I would talk to Verizon about an exchange. The X really is a great device.

Postoid

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site

GolfDriver or anyone who can explain: when one looks at the battery screen and sees the mobile strength indicator in various colors (red, green, yellowish-orange) how exactly is that broken down? Does green mean a good signal within a certain range or just a good connection, etc?

When you look at that 'bar' which shows your signal, you do want to see as much green as you can. I don't think you would really ever see a solid green bar all the way across. You most likely would see smaller pieces of green which should indicate a good 4G connection. Your battery will last longer keeping your Moto X connected when things are mostly green. When it gets into the yellowish orange, then it struggles a bit keeping the connection and you might see it go to 3G and battery life dip a bit.

Still, Motorola's radios and circuitry in the X are about as good as it gets. :)

shinydiscopants

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I have a theory about why the Moto X seems to lose signal.

I had Tmobile change the number to a new nano sim card. The Moto X still lost signal at my gym though. So I tried the new sim in my Gnex at the gym. It showed H for data. However, when I tried to load a website, it just kept loading and eventually said page not found.

It may be that the Gnex is also losing signal, but just does now show that it does.

This was only one test so I'd have to do a few more comparison tests to confirm.

Last edited:

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I am just impressed that the OP got the Gnex to get signal somewhere... It must be one of the unicorn and fairy dust models.