Moto X: Signal problems where my Galaxy Nexus had none

shinydiscopants

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
My Moto X loses signal at certain indoor places (using the same sim card) where my Galaxy Nexus had no problems like my mom's house and a salsa place I go to. What gives? I thought Motorola is supposed to have good radios. :(

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Signal problems where my Galaxy Nexus had none

My Moto X loses signal at certain indoor places (using the same sim card) where my Galaxy Nexus had no problems like my mom's house and a salsa place I go to. What gives? I thought Motorola is supposed to have good radios. :(

thats hard to believe because Gnexus has literally the worst radio ever in any smartphone.

you are right that Moto X radio is the best out there a the moment.. I would say it might be some bug or maybe faulty radio...
first, do a factory reset and then if that didnt fix call motorola.

btw, I get amazing reception where my N4 previously failed

shinydiscopants

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

I hear that a lot about the GNex, but I've never really had signal issues with mine except when when I go snowboarding at Lake Tahoe. I'm on T-Mobile and I think only Verizon gets decent coverage up there.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

Possibly it's the sim card? Did you put your Nexus sim card into the Moto X?

shinydiscopants

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

Yes. it's the same sim. I used a sim cutter. Would that matter? I could try having T-Mobile move the number to the new nano sim, I guess.

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site

I'd try getting a replacement SIM and doing a factory reset. I'm on Verizon so my story may be different, but my Moto X blows my Galaxy Nexus out of the water when it comes to reception. I'm getting a strong 4G signal in places where previously I couldn't even get texts to send.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

Yes. it's the same sim. I used a sim cutter. Would that matter? I could try having T-Mobile move the number to the new nano sim, I guess.
If you cut down a SIM card, I would definitely get a new SIM since you may have damaged the SIM When cutting it down.

Star-Lord

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site

Definitely get a new sim. Moto x has excellent radios, something a lot of phones are lacking.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

All Moto X's come with a SIM already, right? He said he used his old one instead, so he could just use the new one that came with the Moto X to begin with and have it activated.

reversalagent

May 16, 2013
Visit site

Maybe I am just stupid, but how does a factory reset affect signal? If something is wrong with the radio, how will this change the outcome? I ask because my current signal seems worse than with other phones (-150 dBm) in a good size metropolitan city.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

Maybe I am just stupid, but how does a factory reset affect signal? If something is wrong with the radio, how will this change the outcome? I ask because my current signal seems worse than with other phones (-150 dBm) in a good size metropolitan city.
In theory it shouldn't unless you are rooted and flashed different firmware. But it never hurts to restore to factory settings if you are having a problem and then to reinstall apps 1 by 1. Except for the time it takes to do it, of course.

reversalagent

May 16, 2013
Visit site

Thanks, I figured for flashing firmwares and such, but not sure how it would affect stock. I just can't figure out if the phone has a bad signal or this is just standard for my area. I need to pull out my older android phone (HTC Rezound) and see what happens.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Thanks, I figured for flashing firmwares and such, but not sure how it would affect stock. I just can't figure out if the phone has a bad signal or this is just standard for my area. I need to pull out my older android phone (HTC Rezound) and see what happens.

Even stock ROMs can have a cached data conflict that can disrupt the software for the radios that a factory reset may clear up. However, in the OP's case, it is more likely the cut SIM card.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

reversalagent

May 16, 2013
Visit site

I just want to apologize. I have not been having great signal with my moto x on verizon and just did a factory reset and it appears the mobile strength is now green, except when I am in the dungeon at work. It appears my signal strength greatly improved from doing a factory reset, but time will tell.

reversalagent

May 16, 2013
Visit site

I just want to apologize. I have not been having great signal with my moto x on verizon and just did a factory reset and it appears the mobile strength is now green, except when I am in the dungeon at work. It appears my signal strength greatly improved from doing a factory reset, but time will tell.
Global Posts
9,134 Global Posts
ROM
Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by reversalagent View Post

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

I get an awesome signal with my Moto X, even at work, where very few people get a decent signal. I get a decent signal inside the elevator too, which is crazy.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Has the signal improved?

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

reversalagent

May 16, 2013
Visit site

Has the signal improved?

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app
Hard to say due to where I currently am at work, but leaving soon and will be in a different environment. But, when I stepped outside after the reset, the signal numbers were better (~ -110 dBm) and the mobile indicator in the battery area was green, more so than usual.

reversalagent

May 16, 2013
Visit site

GolfDriver or anyone who can explain: when one looks at the battery screen and sees the mobile strength indicator in various colors (red, green, yellowish-orange) how exactly is that broken down? Does green mean a good signal within a certain range or just a good connection, etc?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

GolfDriver or anyone who can explain: when one looks at the battery screen and sees the mobile strength indicator in various colors (red, green, yellowish-orange) how exactly is that broken down? Does green mean a good signal within a certain range or just a good connection, etc?

I think it is a range of the dBm. What the values are, I do not know.
However, I do know that -60 is about as perfect as it gets, and -120 is crap.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alastair