How do I remove excess empty home screens on the Moto X running 4.4?

Ben Talbot

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Brand new Moto X, and made sure all system updates are up-to-date. I only need 3 home screens, however it has five, and I can't figure out how to get rid of the excess screens. There are no icons on them, and it doesn't appear the google search launcher is removable. From my understanding, 4.4 Kit Kat should just auto remove excess blank home screens, but it doesn't seem to be the case. Also, I am unable to re-arrange my home screens. I thought I should just be able to tap and hold and then it will let me re-arrange my home screens, but instead it gives me options for changing my wallpaper.

cdmta

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
You would either need to install a third-party launcher or do what I did-install the google experience launcher. It will only add screens as you need them. It is standard only on the Nexus 5, but you can install on anything.

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Brand new Moto X, and made sure all system updates are up-to-date. I only need 3 home screens, however it has five, and I can't figure out how to get rid of the excess screens. There are no icons on them, and it doesn't appear the google search launcher is removable. From my understanding, 4.4 Kit Kat should just auto remove excess blank home screens, but it doesn't seem to be the case. Also, I am unable to re-arrange my home screens. I thought I should just be able to tap and hold and then it will let me re-arrange my home screens, but instead it gives me options for changing my wallpaper.

Yeah, I find this really annoying as well. I don't know why they won't let you delete the extra home screens if you don't want/need them. This is a big reason I installed Nova Launcher. You can customize that part, and a lot more. But it's annoying that the stock launcher won't let you do it.

slg1906

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I concur with the suggestions to install Nova. It has worked like a charm for me. The individualization it offers is worth it. Go ahead and get the Prime version.

Posted via Android Central App on my Moto X

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
To piggyback re: Nova, what setting do I use so that when moving from home page screen left or right, it doesn't look like a cube, but just slides over like the stock launcher?

snoking

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I would like to fill one of my empty screens with a full screen calendar like my HTC Rezound had! Chris

Sent from my A200 using AC Forums mobile app

Ccota08

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Color themes, grid layout in the desktop and app drawer, to name a few.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

To add to this, you can also change the icon theme (there are tons of different icon packs in the Play Store) and even choose individual icons. Plus, there's gesture support for easy shortcuts to just about anything(though, I'm not sure how many of the gestures are available in the free version). I use the Swipe Down gesture for easy access to my notification shade.

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I've currently got 5 launchers on my Moto X that I alternate between just for variety. Stock Home Launcher, Google Experience Launcher, Aviate, Nova Prime and Atom.

keilita

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
Hi, guys. I want to share something. You don't have to download anything. You can follow these steps:
1-) Go to any panel, either the one with empty spaces or to the totally empty one.
2-) Put two fingers separately, the drag them together the same way you want to zoom out a photo, a reading, etc.
3-) Then you'll see which panel is empty and you can drag it to the trash can. That's it ;-)

hisense

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi, guys. I want to share something. You don't have to download anything. You can follow these steps:
1-) Go to any panel, either the one with empty spaces or to the totally empty one.
2-) Put two fingers separately, the drag them together the same way you want to zoom out a photo, a reading, etc.
3-) Then you'll see which panel is empty and you can drag it to the trash can. That's it ;-)

Wow. Did know about this. I use Apex for its other features and to delete extra screens. But again very nice tip.

Posted via the Android Central App

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Are you sure this metod works!!?? I tried several times but it doesnt work...

I tried this with the stock launcher on my Moto X 2013 running 4.4.4 and it doesn't work for me either. But then, that's why I usually use either Google Now Launcher or Nova Launcher Prime.

Bikie Tau

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
1. From a home screen, pinch in on the screen.
2. Select and hold the appropriate panel then drag and drop it on Remove (located at the top)

It was failing for me too, but I guess I was doing it wrong at first, I think u hav to hold and drag at the top of the panel.

Android 4.4 on Samsung Galaxy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781