Moto X: Any way to close all open/active apps at once? Maybe a 1 button toggle or something? ..

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: Any way to close all open/active apps at once? Maybe a 1 button toggle or something? ..

True. I actually wish the most recent was at the top because that is where my eyes naturally look first and probably why it does on occasion make me have to look through them. Besides that though, I don't swipe apps away just to keep memory clear or save battery or something like that. Habit and don't like seeing apps I'm not using there, maybe a little OCD. My point is that this isn't detrimental to your phone or the apps since swiping them away/closed isn't the same as force stopping them, if it was then Google would probably warn us about it when doing so. A simple app you could download to enable the swipe all away button would be nice, so nobody HAS to use it, but has to seek it out.

I scroll too. Often to see what i was working on/doing to see if i want to go back to it. but then i just give up and just swipe swipe swipe, because sorting through 20 is very inconveninent. So if it's clean, then i can look through the 5, then clean, then again i might have 2 or 3.

Last edited:

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: Any way to close all open/active apps at once? Maybe a 1 button toggle or something? ..

More like what Golfdriver97 had. The 3 little bars on the recent apps screen. I had this on my GNex running a custom ROM, assumed it is included in a lot of ROMs and commonly seen. But maybe not? I'm guessing Google would have to release something to get it into a unrooted device though.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

I found this:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ps/details?id=br.com.artefatos&token=zBIL4s3E

Is that what you guys are looking for? Or similar? Doesn't appear to be a task killer, but I didn't try it personally.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'll give it a go, thanks!

More like what Golfdriver97 had. The 3 little bars on the recent apps screen. I had this on my GNex running a custom ROM, assumed it is included in a lot of ROMs and commonly seen. But maybe not? I'm guessing Google would have to release something to get it into a unrooted device though.

yeah. Google i guess would have to put it in there. Makes no sense for them not to. :(. I don't get some of things things they do. Or don’t/haven’t rather. Having me sort through 28 pages of widgets is...not cool. lol. I really look forward to Android 8.6, cuz some days I feel like I’m on whatever came before windows 98. Lol, and grrrr.

Last edited:

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

If you want to kill apps after you're done with them (I know you said you didn't want to :) you can select "don't keep apps" (or somesuch) in Settings/Developer Options.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

snoking

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

I'll give it a go, thanks!

yeah. Google i guess would have to put it in there. Makes no sense for them not to. :(. I don't get some of things things they do. Or don?t/haven?t rather. Having me sort through 28 pages of widgets is...not cool. lol. I really look forward to Android 8.6, cuz some days I feel like I?m on whatever came before windows 98. Lol, and grrrr.

DOS? Ha! Ha! Chris

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

DOS? Ha! Ha! Chris

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

:D. I actually looked it up right after i posted cuz i couldn't remember. Ah yes, Windows 95. lol.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Killing apps just to kill them, etc, is definitely not good unless they're misbehaving. Android does manage this fairly effectively on an as needed basis. Removing things from your recent apps by swiping them should not adversely effect performance, and it does not act as a "force close" to swipe them away.

Force closing apps is what is bad, not closing apps. Realistically, unless you're troubleshooting a specific problem, there isn't much of a need to micromanage (or manually manage at all) your running applications.

That is entirely separate from the recent tasks interface, for which there are apps and fixes as mentioned for those that modify their devices. The way I get around this is by filling my dock bar with 4 folders that contain almost everything that I use my device for, so going to the app drawer and the recent apps button is minimized by just knowing which folder the app I want is in.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
That is entirely separate from the recent tasks interface, for which there are apps and fixes as mentioned for those that modify their devices. The way I get around this is by filling my dock bar with 4 folders that contain almost everything that I use my device for, so going to the app drawer and the recent apps button is minimized by just knowing which folder the app I want is in.
I was going to suggest something similar. Perhaps finding a better way to organize your home screens will make this whole issue moot.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

what rom are you running here if you dont mind me asking?

Stock Sprint. I have Xposed Framework installed with the Gravity Box module that allows me to make this change.

westiewanderer

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

very cool! Gonna have to tweak my sense five toolbox now...lol

ShoelerDroid

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Killing apps just to kill them, etc, is definitely not good unless they're misbehaving. Android does manage this fairly effectively on an as needed basis. Removing things from your recent apps by swiping them should not adversely effect performance, and it does not act as a "force close" to swipe them away.

Force closing apps is what is bad, not closing apps. Realistically, unless you're troubleshooting a specific problem, there isn't much of a need to micromanage (or manually manage at all) your running applications.

With due respect, do you have any Android documentation to support this? The conversation I linked to on G+ from an Android dev seems to say the opposite - that swiping away apps in the recent list does a soft-kill of the process and sends it an onTaskRemoved notification for the app to determine whether to re-launch the background tasks (reference: What Exactly Happens When You Swipe An Android App From the Recent Apps List?)

I ask not in a pedantic way, but with the point that any killing of a task with an app means that you will suffer additional power drain on re-launch of that app vs keeping it in the background active.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
With due respect, do you have any Android documentation to support this? The conversation I linked to on G+ from an Android dev seems to say the opposite - that swiping away apps in the recent list does a soft-kill of the process and sends it an onTaskRemoved notification for the app to determine whether to re-launch the background tasks (reference: What Exactly Happens When You Swipe An Android App From the Recent Apps List?)

I ask not in a pedantic way, but with the point that any killing of a task with an app means that you will suffer additional power drain on re-launch of that app vs keeping it in the background active.

I don't see anything in your post or the link that disagrees with what I said. We seem to all agree that the recent apps list does not force close an app the same way that a task killer is, and thus is lighter on the system than using a task killer or hitting the force stop button would be.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

And on my Moto X, when I open up Play Music and play a song, swipe away the app in the recents app screen, the music is still playing. Therefore, not completely killed.

LoL thats one of the ones it doesn't kill

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

If there's twenty windows open that means you use twenty apps. I get that they get in the way sometimes, but it sounds like it's doing exactly what it's designed to do. :) Not trying to argue really.

So i'm trying to not close anything as an experiment, now my question is, so do you leave every single app you've ever opened, open?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

So i'm trying to not close anything as an experiment, now my question is, so do you leave every single app you've ever opened, open?

Yes I do. I don't swipe anything away. That doesn't mean every single app is kept in memory, though. The way Android memory management works is that when memory is need the oldest app is kicked out of memory. So there's still a possibility that the app will completely reload when you go to it from the recent app list. I would say (and this is a guess) that I've never actually reopened an app from the recent app list that was more than 10 apps "old".

tomzgreat

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
One of the annoying things that was mentioned is that when you go to recents and swipe it away, music app continues in the background.

In the developer settings.
As decribed in How-toGeek at howtogeek
" 8 Things You Can Do In Android’s Developer Options"

There is a setting called
Don’t keep activities if you enable it then it kills the music app when you swipe it on recents.

How To Geek says is will slow down your phone.

I compensated for that by following their advise and
Disabled Animations, It will be interesting to see how it affects the rest of my phone. So far no change.

My reason is that the easiest way for me to turn off my Music Audible etc...is to swipe it from recents instead of searching for a tiny
pause bar, so as long as it doesn't slow down my phone too much or cause unexpected behavior I'm good with a little slower or more use of juice.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

You really REALLY do not want to ever do this. Most who want to do this are coming from the Donut / Froyo / Gingerbread model where this was the only way to ensure your phone lasted any reasonable amount of time on battery.

There's been official reply after reply (mostly in Google I/O sessions from the devs themselves) that has said this is a bad idea and actually hurts battery life pretty dramatically on Android 4+. The reasoning is simple - it now takes more CPU/resources to restart an app (when you inevitably open it again) than it did to keep it running in the background. Android now also does a nearly perfect job of resource management, whereby it kills the oldest task to free up RAM if need be.

I'm curious if carrier store reps still suggest the whole kill-app-to-save-battery-thing for customers with tech problems, or if they've been better trained that the newest phones and versions of Android no longer need that. I know a few years ago that was pretty much what everyone recommended whenever people had problems.