Moto X Will Not Stay Off When Plugged In

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
This isn't really a problem, but I found it a bit strange. I just noticed today that if my Moto X is turned off, it will turn on if I plug it in to charge.

Since I work at a computer, and I do not answer or use my phone much at work, I often turn it off to avoid it being a distraction. Well I did not charge the phone last night (sidenote, amazing battery life, got nearly 6 hours of screen on time), so when I got back from having lunch the battery down to 10% charge. I turned my Moto X off and plugged it in, and it turned itself on. I thought I may have pressed the power button accidentally, so I turned it off and tried a few more times, sure enough, every time I plug it in while the phone is off, it boots up. I charge by plugging into my Mac's USB port. When I get home I will double check if it does the same with the Moto supplied wall charger.

Not really a big deal since I can just put it on silent, but I have never before owned a phone that does this. Like a lot of AC users, I have had a lot of smartphones from various platforms/manufacturers (Palm, Blackberry, Android, iOS, even a Sidekick back in the day). It seems really strange to me that it will not charge while the phone is off...

Anyone else notice this with a Moto X or other devices? :eek:

mkreef

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
A couple weeks ago I noticed the similar behavior, when plugged in, if you power off, it just reboots. Took me 3 or 4 times before I realized I need to unplug to power the phone off.

I hadn't seen it mentioned here until your post (but may have missed an earlier thread).

Agree it is odd -- first device I've owned with this behavior. Curious the reason behind it.

MarkHirt

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
I've had this issue, chances are pretty good it's the charger or cable your using.

Switched back to the "stock" cable and it stopped. During this testing I found a couple chargers/cables that did the same thing and others that did not, the offenders have been recycled.

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I've had this issue, chances are pretty good it's the charger or cable your using.

Switched back to the "stock" cable and it stopped. During this testing I found a couple chargers/cables that did the same thing and others that did not, the offenders have been recycled.

It's not really an issue, but I'll have to do some experimenting to try to figure out if this is normal or not. Right now I'm using an off brand cable from parts-express, plugged into my iMac. Next time I have a chance I'll do a comparison with the Moto OEM charger and cable, but I don't know how that would make a difference.

I am running 4.4, which was installed when I received my Moto X.

pedro1977

May 12, 2012
Visit site
If you're having problems with the phone not powering off while charging, could you indicate the following:
Moto x model number
Kit kat or jb
When charging from comp?
When charging from wall sock?
Boot loader unlocked?
Rooted or previously rooted since last reflash of current ROM if applicable.

Peter

Sophos

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm experiencing the same behavior.

Moto X GSM Developer Edition
KitKat 4.4.2
Bootloader unlocked
Rooted with stock rom/kernel

Like a previous poster mentioned it doesn't really bother me too much, it's just a little odd.

I play with my food

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if this helps, but I have my XT1053 set do intentionally do this when plugged into a charger. It is an option in the Developer settings. Second or third one down and labeled "Stay Awake."

ttfn92

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
I have this happen with this phone and my previous iPhone. I just plug it in before turning it off then it will stay off.

Posted via Android Central App

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Is this happening on wall socket or plugged into a computer or both? I could see it automatically powering up if it is connected to a computer, assuming you are connecting to swap files/backup, etc.

edgar

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
It happened to me without the charger plugged in!

First night I had my phone yesterday, went to turn it off before bed and it turned right back on. Thought I may have accidentally hit restart...NOPE it did it again. 3rd times the charm right? Nay

Finally I take off the stock screen protector and it finally decides to shutdown and stay off :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech