Moto X aftermarket wireless charging?

droible

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm waiting for my Moto X to be shipped, but has anybody played with these aftermarket wireless charging receivers yet?

Amazon.com: [Aftermarket Product] Type A Micro USB Qi Wireless Universal Charger Pad Receiver Coil For Smartphone: Cell Phones & Accessories
Amazon.com: LuguLake Micro USB 2.0 QI Wireless Charger Receiver Tag Coil For LG G2 HUAWEI Q10 HTC One Samsung Galaxy HTC DESIRE AMAZON KINDLE 4 AMAZON FIRE SONY ERICSSON XPERIA X2 X10 MINI Erics Eperia X10 NOKIA MINI N97 6500 N82 6600 HTC HD HD2 HD7

They seem somewhat universal, and I've seen people talk about using them for various other phones. I want wireless charging but I don't want a bulky case like the Incipio If there was a way to hack one of these charging coils into the original phone casing it would be a good start. Otherwise maybe some minimal/thin case just to hold it on?

From the picture on the LuguLake amazon page they look like they hardly stick out at all from the USB port, which is nice. Biggest downside would be that it isn't a pass-through so you would have to disconnect/reconnect the coil to use a regular USB charger.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I am not sure if I would do that myself. But that is my point of view.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

jrdreher

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Have you looked into this more? I was looking at getting the Qi coil from amazon and putting it between my phone and 3rd party case, my only concern is how big the plug in is and if it has sharp edges.

achiquitachaser

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I remember seeing a post on here or xda where soneone modified their moto x with that coil. It registered on the charger, but it wouldn't charge the phone

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I remember seeing a post on here or xda where soneone modified their moto x with that coil. It registered on the charger, but it wouldn't charge the phone

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk
I saw that post, too. I decided to try it myself anyway, and I had the same result. I bought a "Wireless Charger for 5 Pin Micro USB, Wireless charger Qi standard". I also bought a very thin, light case, and I borrowed my husband's Qi charger, which works fine with an aftermarket Qi charging coil for his Samsung Galaxy S4. The micro-USB bit fit neatly into the phone, and the coil fit neatly between the phone and the case, and when I put it on the charger, the charger said "I see something!". But the phone didn't register that it was charging.

I haven't tried leaving it there to see if it just charges really slowly (and doesn't register.) That's possible. I have a car charger that seems to work that way -- the phone doesn't recognize it is being charged, but I can leave it on and running navigation and it doesn't seem to run down, either. But it certainly wasn't a smashing success. I was pretty disappointed.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
After typing that I tried leaving the phone in my husband's charger for a couple of hours, and it worked! It never showed that it was charging, but it was at 81% when I put it in, and 100% when I took it out.

I may glue the charging coil into the case to make it less fragile.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

oldDummy

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I find the lack of wireless charging a pain also.
This is a solution that works. Great.
However,
Can overcharging damage the phone,
because the phone doesn't "know" it's being charged?

achiquitachaser

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I would be interested to know if the phone knows to stop charging if the indicator isn't showing.

I find the lack of wireless charging a pain also.
This is a solution that works. Great.
However,
Can overcharging damage the phone,
because the phone doesn't "know" it's being charged?

Hoff Woohoo

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
I used a PALM charger coil to do another phone:

Had to take the phone apart to solder some jumpers to the board. It worked fine but that phone had a removable back. I left the back off and it made room for the coil stuck to the inside of a case. Pretty tedious operation but doable. The X has NFC stuff in the back too...

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't know what you will see on this link

Universal Qi Wireless Charging Charger Receiver Tag Coil with Micro USB Head | eBay

It says "The listing below has been updated by the seller, but you can see the item you purchased."

I don't understand the question about how thin the connector is. It is a standard sized connector that fits in the micro USB port at the bottom of the phone. Are you asking how far it sticks out? Less than the case.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800