Moto X: Battery draining fast

sethgoldstein

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
So I just got a Moto X yesterday and I started using it right away. The battery was a little light on charge. I charged it overnight and this AM used quite a bit. I thought it had an awesome battery, but it seems to be going down fast.

Am I doing something wrong? What can I do to optimize battery power?

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
True performance should be better after 5 charge cycles - that's the rule I judge batteries by.

Sent from my moto x using Tapatalk

TofuTwit

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I was worried about the quick discharge at first too. Now after a few charge cycles it has leveled out and I'm getting great battery life.

tapatalk

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I thought it had an awesome battery, but it seems to be going down fast.

First of all, how quickly it discharges depends on what you're doing. You haven't specified what you're doing, so no one can really tell you if what is going on with your battery is normal.

Secondly, you need to give the phone and battery some time to settle. The way to do this is to just keep using the phone normally for about a week and then see what it's like at that point.

sethgoldstein

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks all.

I guess I've been using it heavily getting it setup. I'll probably level off with my configuration time and the battery will setting and all will be happy.:cool:

Lynx

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Thanks all.

I guess I've been using it heavily getting it setup. I'll probably level off with my configuration time and the battery will setting and all will be happy.:cool:

I use both an iPhone 5s and Moto X. I think both shine in different areas of battery consumption.

Moto X trumps the iPhone in screen on time. I can easily get 4+ hours of my screen being on with the Moto X without even worrying about battery. However standby time the iPhone blows it out of the water. I can be at 100% on my iPhone when I go to bed and not charge it. I will wake up to 98% or so. On the Moto X I would be in the low 80s. Different beasts. I am a heavy user of my phone though so as long as I can get through my work day im fine :)

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I use both an iPhone 5s and Moto X. I think both shine in different areas of battery consumption.

Moto X trumps the iPhone in screen on time. I can easily get 4+ hours of my screen being on with the Moto X without even worrying about battery. However standby time the iPhone blows it out of the water. I can be at 100% on my iPhone when I go to bed and not charge it. I will wake up to 98% or so. On the Moto X I would be in the low 80s. Different beasts. I am a heavy user of my phone though so as long as I can get through my work day im fine :)

if you are rooted you can use an app call greenify which will blow iphone's standby time.

Google should add this feature to Android

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

I used to have this issue of losing up to 20% of charge overnight (~8 hrs) with my Moto X, but I read somewhere that going through a full 0% discharge and 100% recharge cycle (with the phone off) can help 'reset' the battery. I did it once, and my Moto X now loses less than 5% overnight now.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
One of the primary reasons I don't display the battery percentage anywhere. If the phone is still kicking then that's all I need to know. I'm trying my best to not micromanage my battery and battery stats.

NYRico#AC

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
I am by no means a power user, but, through this forum I solved my battery issue, it was a couple of apps that were battery hogs, an enterprise email client and instagram. If you check your battery stats you will see the apps that are draining juice, if the amount they drain don't make sense then there is a problem. I watched for a couple of days saw that instagram and touchdown were using 40% of my battery after short usage and changed my behavior. Now when I look at instagram I swipe it closed in the app switcher and I uninstalled and reinstalled touchdown. Now my battery makes it through a day of moderate use with no worries. Just my use case and $.02.

Lynx

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
if you are rooted you can use an app call greenify which will blow iphone's standby time.

Google should add this feature to Android

I use greenify, the iPhone standby time is up to around 10 days. While I never tested that I have gone as long as 4-5 days unplugged sitting on my nightstand just to see how long it would last. My Moto X wont even come close to that.

P.S not bashing the Moto X as its currently my daily driver, just saying in terms of standby time the iPhone trumps every phone I have used.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I had phones in stand by mode and just left lying around to just to see how long they would last.However I expect them to last alot longer time when just sitting around idle . LOL :D

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I had phones in stand by mode and just left lying around to just to see how long they would last.However I expect them to last alot longer time when just sitting around idle . LOL :D

That has always been one of my primary knocks on Android and that it does a bit much in the background causing increased "idle" drain.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I say this all the time and still nobody has any good answer...why does your phone need to last more than one day comfortably? It's really not hard to charge it overnight while you're sleeping. The Moto X easily gets through over 20 hours for me, so it doesn't make any difference to me whether my battery is at 25% or 50% when I go to bed...

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I say this all the time and still nobody has any good answer...why does your phone need to last more than one day comfortably? It's really not hard to charge it overnight while you're sleeping. The Moto X easily gets through over 20 hours for me, so it doesn't make any difference to me whether my battery is at 25% or 50% when I go to bed...

Now this I can support! I don't plug in overnight opting to plug in while I get ready for work in the morning! Plugging in this morning, my time on battery was a little over 20 hours with about two and a half hours of screen time!

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site

Well, if you are ever in an earthquake, ice storm or situation where the power all goes out, you might be wishing for more battery life! I think the towers can go at least three days on their batteries if they don't have some other backup system, so that's two days of missing out. :)

But for the most part, yeah..you are right. You really don't need more then that. I think the calls for it are more for convenience and potential wear and tear on the charger port than anything else.