Moto X: Do you use touchless control?

How much do you use touchless control?

• Total voters

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Just like most, I also use it occasionally while driving, usually for traffic, verbally responding to texts, or just asking Google Now general questions that pop in my head.

I find it useful, and it generally does a great job of understanding my commands.

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I use it to call people, to navigate to places, and occasionally to search google. I'd probably use it more if I drove a car regularly.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I use it a lot at home and in the car. I don't use it in public too much because of the superdork-factor of talking to your phone.

Some examples in the car (most, if not all, of these examples work even if you have a password/PIN-protected lock screen)

"Navigate to ..."
"How long will it take to drive to ..."
"Listen to Miley Cyrus" (ok, maybe not M.C., but Touchless Control is outstanding with Google Play Music and I use this one a lot)

Some examples at home:

"Set timer for 8 minutes"
"Wake me up in 20 minutes"
"Did the Penguins win tonight?"
"Will it rain today?"
"How many teaspoons in a tablespoon?"
"Call John Smith mobile"

Kalifornia

Dude
Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
"Note to Self" is (one of) the reasons I bought this phone. Its amazing how many things I realize I need to do when I'm sitting in traffic during my commute and being able to capture them completely hands-free has been awesome.

Sent from my Moto X

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Any future phone that doesn't have Touchless Controls and Active Notification (or the functional equivalents) will need to have some very compelling features to get me to switch. That said, if someone ever makes a way to easily and inexpensively change prescription lenses on my Google Glass - I need distance and computer prescriptions and it's a hassle to change (no, progressives don't do it) - then Glass could meet those function points for me.

ttfn92

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
"Note to Self" is (one of) the reasons I bought this phone. Its amazing how many things I realize I need to do when I'm sitting in traffic during my commute and being able to capture them completely hands-free has been awesome.

Sent from my Moto X

Can you tell really say, Note to self?

Posted via Android Central App

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
It is. Could that be the problem? Maybe I should try turning off my Bluetooth and having someone text me to see if it works.
yeah, try that. Then if that works, I think you may have media volume set too low. The problem I have found is that when a text is read out through a bluetooth device, it is read out at the media volume, not the call volume, and I can't adjust media volume on my bluetooth headset. To adjust media volume, go to settings, sound, volumes and adjust the volume for music, video, games & other media all the way up to see if that helps.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
My favorite new use: In the winter in the NE it is so cold, was 8 degrees the other day. but usually you ca?tn use a touch screen with gloves on. Touchless controls, problem solved. :D! ?ok google now, call Harold?, bam. No frozen fingers. (learned that after my fingers became numb after a phone call that lasted under a minute. Lol. Never again.

mynameis

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't use it that much. Mostly just for the weather and when I'm showing it to somebody. Like said before, I too don't really see a sense in talking to my phone. But, it is there when I need it. And when used, it works great.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Never use it. I don't see it as a convenience at all. As a matter of fact, I see it as an inconvenience and quite silly. No hassles for me using the phone the way I've used other phones. I see it as a good thing for Motorola because there are a lot of people that really go for that type of gimmick and I'd like to see Motorola do well.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Never use it. I don't see it as a convenience at all. As a matter of fact, I see it as an inconvenience and quite silly. No hassles for me using the phone the way I've used other phones. I see it as a good thing for Motorola because there are a lot of people that really go for that type of gimmick and I'd like to see Motorola do well.
Do you drive a car?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Curious, why did you even get a Moto X if you consider Motorola's add-on features "gimmicky"?

ttfn92

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site

Not really gimmicky if it fills your need. My husband is a UPS driver and uses Siri on his iPhone all the time. It's not exactly the same but pretty close. It's hard to check texts when you're driving and carrying boxes.

Posted via Android Central App

AndroidBIO

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Never, I feel really dumb saying "Ok Google Now", Or just plain talking on the phone by myself. And if other people are around? NO thanks haha