Verizon Moto X: Asurion Will Give You a Moto Maker Device If You Customized

Asurioncares

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Re: Verizon Moto X: Asurion Will Give You a Moto Maker Device If You Customized

According to this thread here

MotoMaker Phones and Asurion? - Page 2 - xda-developers

You do get a customized Moto X back if you bought one. Motorola has an agreement in place with Asurion and you do get the same device back if you customized. I don't know about Dev Ed but I don't see why that would be different.

Hi Cozume:

If you have a customized Moto X, we will offer the black or white standard operating edition to get you reconnected as quickly as possible. If you don't mind waiting a few extra days, we will work with you to replace your custom Moto X design with the standard operating system. We do not offer the developers edition as a replacement. Hope that helps! We are here if you have any further questions.

Thanks!

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

We do not offer the developers edition as a replacement. Hope that helps! We are here if you have any further questions.
Thanks for confirming!

That is too bad about the developer edition but I can understand why you wouldn't cover it given the unlockable bootloader.

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
So if I had a claim on my blue and white 32gb, I could just get a replacement white or black 32gb quickly if I needed one?

Cross my fingers this never happens.

Posted via Android Central App

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

So if I had a claim on my blue and white 32gb, I could just get a replacement white or black 32gb quickly if I needed one?
I don't think so because the only way to get a 32GB device is via moto maker or the dev ed. You would get a 16GB black or white I think or wait for a customized one.

Jaingo5150

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site

How much did everyone pay for your phone's? I paid 150, kept my unlimited, signed 2 years, and still got a 50 rebate card offer after passing 150. It's a 32 MMX before asking.

I ask because with a 99 deductible this is robbery unless you make sure you damage your phone. After a year at 10 I would pay more in insurance than the phone. Even at 300 it's arguably still a bad deal. I'd like protection, but...

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site

I cancelled my insurance. Paid 350 + tax in December during that sale for my X. I'm good with my phones, never broke a screen or had a phone be nonfunctional. Also never use screen protectors or cases, small hands don't need extra bulk... plus I don't want my custom X covered up. Insurance is basically gambling, could throw away over 200 dollars over 2 years of phone use if you never use it. Or you could need it and be out of luck if you don't have it. But for 350 dollars I didn't see it worth the extra monthly cost. And if you do use it and still have it for 2 years you are paying the cost of a new X anyways.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

I ask because with a 99 deductible this is robbery unless you make sure you damage your phone. After a year at 10 I would pay more in insurance than the phone. Even at 300 it's arguably still a bad deal. I'd like protection, but...
The Asurion part is only $5.18/mo. Then another $3 is for extended warranty after 1 year. The rest is for tech support.

The verizon reps don't like to tell you but you can buy just the Asurion insurance for $5.18/mo. Then after your 1 year of manufacturer's warranty is up, you can add the $3 to extend the warranty during open enrollment and pay $8.18 at that time. I will be upgrading to a Moto X2 before the 1 year warranty on my phone is up so no need to extend the warranty.

I paid $375 + tax = $400 for my 32GB Moto X with a wood back, so $5.18 for 12 months is $62.16 + $99 deductible = $161.16 is well worth it to me for the peace of mind and I am sure when I upgrade to the Moto X2 I would be able to recoup most if not all of that by selling the phone.

techitrucker

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site

Hi Cozume:

If you have a customized Moto X, we will offer the black or white standard operating edition to get you reconnected as quickly as possible. If you don't mind waiting a few extra days, we will work with you to replace your custom Moto X design with the standard operating system. We do not offer the developers edition as a replacement. Hope that helps! We are here if you have any further questions.

Thanks!

So basically your saying that even though I couldn't buy a Motocare warranty because you guys colluded with Verizon so that people like me couldn't, you don't replace my device with the device that I purchased even though I'm forced to buy your product if I want insurance...... And that's legal how? And why would I be willing to replace a 32gb Developer Edition with a 16gb program phone. I guess I'll be saving fifty bucks a month because I'll be canceling the contracts on all of my lines. You guys obviously can't be trusted. If my car insurance company tried that kind of crap they'd be out of business quickly.

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

Looks like I'll canceling my insurance ASAP!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

So basically your saying that even though I couldn't buy a Motocare warranty because you guys colluded with Verizon so that people like me couldn't, you don't replace my device with the device that I purchased even though I'm forced to buy your product if I want insurance
I don't work for Asurion. I am just a regular poster here like you.

And I don't know if Asurion colluded with Verizon on this or not. If I had to guess, I would say that Asurion would have rather not had the added cost and hassle of dealing with customized Moto X phones and it was Verizon who stopped Motorola from offering MotoCare to us. Of the $10 Total Mobile Protection, $2 is for nothing but tech support, so basically pure profit for Verizon. Verizon is pushing TMP and my guess is that they don't want anything to compete with that.

I am sure if Verizon could, they would have stopped Apple from offering AppleCare to Verizon iPhone users. But they don't have that kind of leverage over Apple. They have a lot of leverage over Motorola given the Droid line and Motorola's weaker market position.

...... And that's legal how?
What would be illegal about this?

And why would I be willing to replace a 32gb Developer Edition with a 16gb program phone.
I am unclear on this but from what the Asurion poster said, I think you wouldn't have to. I think you could get a Moto Maker 32GB device, just not a Dev Ed. I will call myself later and try to find out the answer on this.

I don't know the ins and outs of Asurion's deal with Motorola and neither do you so we don't know why the Dev Eds aren't being offered. If I had to guess I would say it was Motorola who doesn't want to have to replace them at whatever reduced price they sell them to Asurion for. Motorola had to be pressured into not voiding the warranty on the Dev Eds if you unlock the bootloader. At first they were taking position that all warranties were void if you unlocked your bootloader.

I guess I'll be saving fifty bucks a month because I'll be canceling the contracts on all of my lines. You guys obviously can't be trusted. If my car insurance company tried that kind of crap they'd be out of business quickly.
I am sure the number of us who own Moto X Dev Eds is miniscule compared to the amount of business Asurion does and those of us who own Moto X Dev Eds and aren't keeping insurance on our phones is a proverbial drop in their bucket.

Last edited:

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site

I can hardly wait for the first story of someone getting an Asurion replacement X that has someone else's signature on the back. Big Bob gets a refurbed phone that says PRINCESS on the back or something.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

I can hardly wait for the first story of someone getting an Asurion replacement X that has someone else's signature on the back. Big Bob gets a refurbed phone that says PRINCESS on the back or something.
LOL! no, from what the Asurion rep said you can get a 16GB black or white uncustomized one back right away. But if you are willing to wait, you can get one customized like yours was back. If I had to guess, the returned customized phones get refurbed and then those are the ones they use to customize for the Asurion replacements.

Asurioncares

May 31, 2013
Visit site

So basically your saying that even though I couldn't buy a Motocare warranty because you guys colluded with Verizon so that people like me couldn't, you don't replace my device with the device that I purchased even though I'm forced to buy your product if I want insurance...... And that's legal how? And why would I be willing to replace a 32gb Developer Edition with a 16gb program phone. I guess I'll be saving fifty bucks a month because I'll be canceling the contracts on all of my lines. You guys obviously can't be trusted. If my car insurance company tried that kind of crap they'd be out of business quickly.

Hi Techitrucker,

We always want our customers to make an informed decision about the services we offer. For this reason, we provide detailed information regarding our services via pamphlets in the stores, via your carrier and Asurion websites, and via customer service representatives. We also have store associates, phone representatives, technical assistance teams, online chat support, websites, email addresses and social media representatives to address your concerns. We never want to loose a valued customer. Do you currently have insurance with us for your 32gb Developer Edition Moto X?

techitrucker

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site

Yes I do. And on a few other devices. What bothers me about this is not that your insurance won't cover the device some of us bought but that if we wanted insurance on said device the other choices where denied. I don't know who made what deals with whom nor do I care honestly. I was sold insurance on a particular phone with the understanding that it was covered and now I find out that was only a kinda sorta thing. Kinda sorta was not what I was purchasing. I buy insurance on my Accord and need to use it the insurance company is not going to replace it with a Civic. Anything less is excuses and thievery. I'll choose to vote with my wallet.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

What bothers me about this is not that your insurance won't cover the device some of us bought but that if we wanted insurance on said device the other choices where denied.
Denied by Motorola. It is Motorola that will not sell us their MotoCare policy. No one can force Motorola not to sell to us. But yes, Verizon can pressure them to by not carrying the device if they won't do it.

I don't know who made what deals with whom nor do I care honestly.
OK well before you were making accusations of collusion and illegal policies.

I was sold insurance on a particular phone with the understanding that it was covered
Verizon sold you that insurance. And where did you get that understanding from? Did you call Asurion and ask? Obviously not, because if you had they would have told you what was covered.

And if some Verizon employee told you that Asurion would give you back a Dev Ed, then it was a misunderstanding created by Verizon and your beef is with Verizon.

I buy insurance on my Accord and need to use it the insurance company is not going to replace it with a Civic. Anything less is excuses and thievery.
Whether you realize it or not, if your insurance policy stated you would get a Civic back and not an Accord, it would not under any law anywhere in the world be considered thievery. It wouldn't even be a breach of a contract.

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

Yes I do. And on a few other devices. What bothers me about this is not that your insurance won't cover the device some of us bought but that if we wanted insurance on said device the other choices where denied. I don't know who made what deals with whom nor do I care honestly. I was sold insurance on a particular phone with the understanding that it was covered and now I find out that was only a kinda sorta thing. Kinda sorta was not what I was purchasing. I buy insurance on my Accord and need to use it the insurance company is not going to replace it with a Civic. Anything less is excuses and thievery. I'll choose to vote with my wallet.

And, your auto insurance company will only pay you current MARKET value if you total your car, they do NOT have to buy you an identical car. If your not happy with what they offer you can have an independent appraiser apprise your car, which can be a benefit if you have an older or rare car in way above average condition.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

And, your auto insurance company will only pay you current MARKET value if you total your car, they do NOT have to buy you an identical car. If your not happy with what they offer you can have an independent appraiser apprise your car, which can be a benefit if you have an older or rare car in way above average condition.
and all of that is spelled out in the insurance policy's terms. I am sure Asurion will give your their policy in writing if you just ask.

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

and all of that is spelled out in the insurance policy's terms. I am sure Asurion will give your their policy in writing if you just ask.

And that is exactly the problem, READ YOUR POLICY! don't assume, my neighbor bought a brand new pickup, pulled out in front of a car LEAVING the dealership, totalled, no one seriously hurt thank goodness, but he had to pay the bank over $6000.00 that his insurance would not pay! he declined GAP insurance to save a few bucks a month. I usually carry insurance on my devices for the first 6 months or so and then look at current replacement cost vs. premium and deductible and decide if I want to continue based on those numbers.