Did you think Samsung was worried about Motorola's potential before they made the deal with Google.

Zig261

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
The Moto X received a lot of praise except for the fact that it was only available in the US(Moto Maker) and an expensive price. The Moto G seems to be sold out constantly so i assume it's selling very well too. But then again both of Samsung's flagship phones(S4 and Note 3) are also very expensive off-contract. Did they anticipate Google aiding the Moto X's price drop as an indication that Motorola might become a threat to their Galaxy line with their next phone of this year before they got sold to Lenovo? Do you think Motorola can eventually rise to Samsung's level if Lenovo allows them to continue operating as they do now?

MERCDROID

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
The Moto X received a lot of praise except for the fact that it was only available in the US(Moto Maker) and an expensive price. The Moto G seems to be sold out constantly so i assume it's selling very well too. But then again both of Samsung's flagship phones(S4 and Note 3) are also very expensive off-contract. Did they anticipate Google aiding the Moto X's price drop as an indication that Motorola might become a threat to their Galaxy line with their next phone of this year before they got sold to Lenovo? Do you think Motorola can eventually rise to Samsung's level if Lenovo allows them to continue operating as they do now?

I do think Samsung definitely got worried. Imagine this: the Nexus devices are still priced lower than the competition, and, now, they're starting to be consumer devices. Then, you look at the price drops for the Moto X, and it seems like Google is going to combat all of the Android OEMS by flooding the market with low-cost devices.

I also think, Samsung initially got worried, when the Moto X first debuted. That Magazine UI wasn't just a "natural evolution" of TouchWiz; it was a reaction to what seemed like Google playing favorites. You look at the features of the Moto X, and it just screams Google involvement.

I'll be brutally honest, here: I don't see Motorola rising to Samsung's size, under Lenovo's tutelage. Now, I'm not implying that they won't be profitable. I think, Motorola has a great chance of returning to profitability. But, they probably won't be as big as they once were.

Of course, this is all just my opinion.

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I think Samsung was as worried about this as much as I'm worried about what my neighbor had for dinner.

I also think Google intended this all along and I can't possibly be the only one.

Posted via Android Central App

vtpmt81

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

I agree that Samsung was worried about Motorola. The X and G are excellent phones that are really smooth. Samsung probably didnt like that a 'Google company' showed during a presentation that a budget phone in the Moto G opened apps faster than the SGS4 and that this phone was only 179 dollars.

What Google told Samsung is that they only bought Motorola for the patents and will use the patents to protect Android OEMs/partners from future lawsuits.

All of this is a win for Google - they were able to placate Samsung by selling Motorola preventing Samsung from going to Tizen but they were also able to get Samsung to agree to modify Touchwiz so that isn't so heavy of a skin.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I agree that Samsung was worried about Motorola. The X and G are excellent phones that are really smooth. Samsung probably didnt like that a 'Google company' showed during a presentation that a budget phone in the Moto G opened apps faster than the SGS4 and that this phone was only 179 dollars.
The Gnote3 is significantly slower than the Moto X, too.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
You do like to troll bait.
I tested them side by side. I owned the GNote3 and it pained me to send it back. I really, really, really loved that huge wonderful screen.

But in the end, Samsung's crap radios made the GNote3 underperform as a phone and a data device.

For the record, I have owned 2 Samsung smartphones - GNex and GNote3 - and only 1 motorola smartphone. I wanted to love the GNote3 but I couldn't because of the crap radios. I loved everything about my GNex except the crap radios.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I tested them side by side. I owned the GNote3 and it pained me to send it back. I really, really, really loved that huge wonderful screen.

But in the end, Samsung's crap radios made the GNote3 underperform as a phone and a data device.

For the record, I have owned 2 Samsung smartphones - GNex and GNote3 - and only 1 motorola smartphone. I wanted to love the GNote3 but I couldn't because of the crap radios. I loved everything about my GNex except the crap radios.
I just mean that you will get lots of Note 3 owners unhappy by saying that, they don't want to hear it after paying $650 for a device.

I think they only suck for CDMA radio, I use Samsung phones more than any other and their GSM radio aren't bad.

I'm still wishing for another a curved screen Samsung Nexus.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma