The Moto X will be legendary

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
It just hit me, people in the future will be you like, "you remember that one phone that Motorola made while owned by Google? Oh yeah I used to own one of those, great phone too bad it got discontinued within a year" kind of like a special edition phone.

Doubtful. It isn't that earth shattering that it is going to be remembered long term. Plus you have to remember the razr line of old will be more remembered than the moto x simply based on how popular it was.

Or maybe not.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
The HTC Titan (a Windows Phone) came out a month before the Galaxy Nexus and had a true 4.7" screen vs. the 4.65" screen on the GNex, so it did not have the biggest screen. The Optimus LTE also beat the GNex to market by about a month and featured a 4.5" 720p display (though it wouldn't make it to the US until about 3 weeks after the GNex). The 720p HTC Rezound also beat the GNex to market, though only by a few days. And other phones with simillar specs followed very shortly after. Essentially, the GNex was not revolutionary, just par for flagships launching when it did.

I think both the Note and Moto X are bigger game changers than the GNex. The Note was mocked by many for its size when it launched. Now 5.2" is fairly common and accepted.

The Moto X is a game changer in two ways. First, it has completely changed how I expect to interact with a phone. I use voice commands all the time now. I have been a huge fan of voice commands since I owned the Samsung Instinct in 2008. That phone was crap in most regards, but it's voice commands, which were powered by Microsoft, were unrivaled by any other phones built in voice commands. The only thing that came close to comepeting was Vlingo on Blackberry. After that, Windows Phone 7 was the king of voice commands until Siri, though so few people used Windows Phone 7 that the greatness of the platform's voice commands was little known. Siri and Google Now are both great in different ways now. But touchless control on the Moto X is a game changer. Never before have you been able to initiate voice commands to do such a diverse range of things all without even touching your device. This is bordering on the dream we have had as humans since the 60's when both Star Trek and 2001: A Space Odyssey envisoned computers that you could talk to and would talk back. I really think 2014 is going to be a big year for voice commands, and it will be due in no small part to the Moto X pushing this feature into an area it had never been before.

The second way the Moto X is revolutionary is in what you should expect to pay for flagship level smartphones. Motorola didn't throw in all the latest hardware because it didn't have to. More affordable hardware is perfectly capable of giving a grade A experience now. Instead, Motorola focused on providing an A+ software experience and, due to the less expensive components, has been able to drop the price to where people will actually be willing to buy it off contract. Sure, the Nexus 4 did this first, but everyone knew Google was subsidizing that device and turning next to no profit on it. Motorola is actually making money on each X sold, even if they haven't returned to profitability quite yet. Sure, we will still see $700 flagships, but people aren't going to be willing to pay $300 off contract for a phone that runs like crap anymore. They will expect flagship level performance, even if flagship bells and whistles don't come with it.

If only they would have focused a little more on the camera department. Then again moto has always sucked in the camera department.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Lets hope they can. If nothing else, use a sony sensor or something. I mean it seems every other OEM can get a good camera, not sure why moto struggles so much.
I am sure there are politics within the organization and Google should have focused (pun intended) on correcting that area of deficiency. I am willing to bet that Lenovo will address the camera issues. That would be huge because it is really holding Motorola back.

I place more of a priority on phone capabilities than I do on camera, but I am in a business where people still actually talk to each other on the phone, lol! A lot of younger people don't unless forced to.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
One of Moto's strengths:

Moto X tops LTE network connectivity test.
Trashes the competition.
I tested the Moto X side-by-side with the most speced-out device on Verizon, the GNote3, and it crushed the GNote3 where the signal was poor. Where the signal was good, all phones performed well, even my GNex!

I kicked the GNote3 to the curb, although I was bedazzled by that gorgeous screen.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Motorola didn't throw in all the latest hardware because it didn't have to. More affordable hardware is perfectly capable of giving a grade A experience now. Instead, Motorola focused on providing an A+ software experience and, due to the less expensive components, has been able to drop the price to where people will actually be willing to buy it off contract.

I'd like to clarify this statement, in that they did choose a slightly less expensive screen but otherwise all of the components are very equivalent to other same period flagships. The processor was one of the most expensive used in 2013, most differences were +- a few bucks, but total BOM cost was still above the iPhone, right on par with the Samsung Galaxy S4, etc. Manufacturing and assembly was more expensive and more complicated (location and options), so the price point they adopted had little to do with margin on a per device basis being potentially less, it's simply a sacrifice in profitability for brand promotion, and other considerations, etc. When we're talking about a BOM that's $10-15 different per device, a MSRP that's $400 different is not explainable by the difference in the BOM, and doubly so for the difference between the X and the iPhone 5s where the X costs more to create, yet is approximately half the price for equivalent options.

oldDummy

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I tested the Moto X side-by-side with the most speced-out device on Verizon, the GNote3, and it crushed the GNote3 where the signal was poor. Where the signal was good, all phones performed well, even my GNex!

I kicked the GNote3 to the curb, although I was bedazzled by that gorgeous screen.

As these handheld devices evolve one still has to remember that a major function is as a phone.
It's not hard to forget this while utilizing the many aspects we have grown to need/admire.
Many people enjoy their devices as a desktop/laptop substitute; and why not?
My belief is that this will only grow with time.
Moto's attention to shape/size optimization allows for the X to be tweaked in upcoming iterations while maintaining the current general footprint.
New functions, personal/group needs solutions can be added until a new paradigm is developed
Right now the Moto X is in a good position to thrive with the right leadership.
On this we shall see.
Meanwhile we get to enjoy a well made device with great innovative features.
We did good.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
As these handheld devices evolve one still has to remember that a major function is as a phone.
I still use mine as a phone, but more and more younger people hardly talk on the phone at all. I have younger relatives who barely use 50 minutes in a month.

They annoy the hell out of me because they want everything to go by text. I cut them off after a few texts and tell them if they need me they need to call because the texting is annoying and time consuming. They tell me they feel the same way about talking on the phone.

Many people enjoy their devices as a desktop/laptop substitute; and why not?
My belief is that this will only grow with time.
Agreed, which is why I hold onto my unlimited data plan with dear life.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I still use mine as a phone, but more and more younger people hardly talk on the phone at all. I have younger relatives who barely use 50 minutes in a month.

I've used 104 minutes total in the last 3 months, 71 of which were in the doesn't count towards the minute allotment category. As much as I don't use the phone feature very much, averaging slightly more than 60 seconds per day and it's silly that I'm paying for 700 minutes (minimum on the plan we got whenever we signed up) for me to use 11 billable minutes a month, there are still those approximately 2 minutes (average) per day where the device HAS to be a phone and it's crucial that it work and work well.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm from the UK and haven't had the opportunity to play about with a Moto X yet, I know its on sale here, but I plan on visiting Las Vegas in a few weeks, is there any stores that sell the phone contract free? also the UK only has the black and white version for sale, can you buy different colours in store in the States or can you only order them online?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Lets hope they can. If nothing else, use a sony sensor or something. I mean it seems every other OEM can get a good camera, not sure why moto struggles so much.

I don't really think there's anything wrong with the hardware on the camera. With a little work, I've been able to take some very impressive pictures, and with third-party apps it's a pretty capable little camera. It's just that the software is pretty poor, and they've made the stock software so incredibly convenient to use ("twist and shoot").

Supposedly it has been greatly improved in 4.4.2 - I'm hoping so.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm from the UK and haven't had the opportunity to play about with a Moto X yet, I know its on sale here, but I plan on visiting Las Vegas in a few weeks, is there any stores that sell the phone contract free?
You can buy a no contract iPhone directly from an Apple store, but I have never seen a store that sells a Moto X without a contract except the carriers will if you are a customer of theirs. But you would want the GSM unlocked model which is only sold by Motorola as far as I know.

You can play with them in the corporate carrier stores if you just want to check them out.

also the UK only has the black and white version for sale, can you buy different colours in store in the States or can you only order them online?
The customized phones are made to order in Texas. They ship pretty quickly so depending on how long you are staying, you could get one shipped to your hotel. I would order the day before you leave for Las Vegas. I have had things shipped to me at hotels before. You just let the front desk know you are expecting a package and they hold it for you. The only issue may be if you have an international credit card. I don't know if Motorola would accept it.

Are you sure the GSM unlocked Moto X has the bands for 4G LTE where you live? These are the specs for the GSM unlocked Moto X developer edition, but it is the same as Moto Maker GSM unlocked phone.

Networks
GSM/GPRS/EDGE - UMTS/HSPA + up to 42 Mbps - 4G LTE

2G/2.5G GSM/GPRS/EDGE bands
850/900/1800/1900 MHz

3G UMTS bands
850/900/ AWS/1900/2100 MHz with HSPA+ up to 42 Mbps (B5/B8/B4/B2/B1)

4G LTE bands
700/AWS/1900MHz (B17/B4/B2)

Moto X Developer Edition - A Google Company

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
You can buy a no contract iPhone directly from an Apple store, but I have never seen a store that sells a Moto X without a contract except the carriers will if you are a customer of theirs. But you would want the GSM unlocked model which is only sold by Motorola as far as I know.

You can play with them in the corporate carrier stores if you just want to check them out.

The customized phones are made to order in Texas. They ship pretty quickly so depending on how long you are staying, you could get one shipped to your hotel. I would order the day before you leave for Las Vegas. I have had things shipped to me at hotels before. You just let the front desk know you are expecting a package and they hold it for you. The only issue may be if you have an international credit card. I don't know if Motorola would accept it.

Are you sure the GSM unlocked Moto X has the bands for 4G LTE where you live? These are the specs for the GSM unlocked Moto X developer edition, but it is the same as Moto Maker GSM unlocked phone.

Networks
GSM/GPRS/EDGE - UMTS/HSPA + up to 42 Mbps - 4G LTE

2G/2.5G GSM/GPRS/EDGE bands
850/900/1800/1900 MHz

3G UMTS bands
850/900/ AWS/1900/2100 MHz with HSPA+ up to 42 Mbps (B5/B8/B4/B2/B1)

4G LTE bands
700/AWS/1900MHz (B17/B4/B2)

Moto X Developer Edition - A Google Company

Thanks for the above, I'll look into the bands for 4g LTE. I own a Nexus 5 and love it, but I want to see what I'm missing with the Moto X