Google Search - how to?

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

I need to find some how-to on basic Android things. I am having problems with...

1:
In the Google search bar if I re-use a search statement it loads it into the bar and then performs the search instantly.
How do I add to that search statement before the search is action-ed?
e.g.
I select "motorola moto x" from a previous search and I want to add " tpu case" to it before it rushes off to find it.

2:
The same applies to the Chrome browser when entering a link. I'd like to be able to add to the original search statement to refine it for fewer but more pertinent detail to my search.

I am just at the tip of the iceberg of what I do not yet know about Android. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Where to find - how to?

1:
In the Google search bar if I re-use a search statement it loads it into the bar and then performs the search instantly.
e.g.
I select "motorola moto x" from a previous search and I want to add " tpu case" to it before it rushes off to find it.

2:
The same applies to the Chrome browser when entering a link. I'd like to be able to add to the original search statement to refine it for fewer but more pertinent detail to my search.

1 & 2. This can't be done on mobile since you can't scroll down to the desired search like you would using a keyboard on a computer

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Slim Bean 4.3

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

1:
e.g.

2:

1. Often, Google Now will associate searches for each other. If you ask it to search for Moto X then in a new search right after you say cases, it probably will assume in connection with the last search. Say if you search for who is the president of the US, and then follow with when was he born, it will assume you meant the president.

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

I see you upgraded to a Moto X from a Moto G :D

Thanks for the answers, and yes, liked the G, but decided that with the $100 off special to get the dev model X.

On the G I was limited to 3G and the X has 4G, however the data speeds are about the same between 4 and 5 Mbps.

Also, I wanted to play with the NFC which the G doesn't have. Turned out to be a bit of a novel-fizzer. :)

Still, VERY happy with the X even with the limitations you have confirmed above. By the way I use File Manager as the ES Permissions are becoming a little too personal for me so uninstalled it in favor of FM.

OH, and one more to add to the list of questions

In the drop down main menu I sometimes get "2 apps need your permission to update"
I tap that link and it takes me to the Play store but then nothing else happens. How am I supposed to approve the updates?

Thanks

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the answers, and yes, liked the G, but decided that with the $100 off special to get the dev model X.

On the G I was limited to 3G and the X has 4G, however the data speeds are about the same between 4 and 5 Mbps.

Also, I wanted to play with the NFC which the G doesn't have. Turned out to be a bit of a novel-fizzer. :)

Still, VERY happy with the X even with the limitations you have confirmed above. By the way I use File Manager as the ES Permissions are becoming a little too personal for me so uninstalled it in favor of FM.

OH, and one more to add to the list of questions

In the drop down main menu I sometimes get "2 apps need your permission to update"
I tap that link and it takes me to the Play store but then nothing else happens. How am I supposed to approve the updates?

Thanks

Go to your account and to installed apps. From there just update.
My dad got a Moto X and I've been using it since he hasn't activated it. Awesome phone, wish I could get one for myself :-\

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Slim Bean 4.3

FreakSquadJK

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site

On your questions 1 and 2 - while entering into either the Google Search Bar or the omnibox in Chrome, when autocomplete options appear you should see an up-left arrow on the far right end of the autocomplete line.

Tap that arrow, and the suggestion should move up into the search box but still stay in entry mode so you can add more.

Posted via Android Central App

ttfn92

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site

Thanks

When it takes me to the play store there is a rectangle box to the right of the app name that says update. I just tap on that.

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for help so far, very much appreciated.

On the Search box thing, none of those suggestions worked here, but I did find by accident, that if let it re-use the text and do the search, the text stays in the search box. Tapping directly on the search text, it turned white background and gave me the Blue-tag and arrow for editing. I was able to move the cursor to the end and add "cases" or whatever.

A little clunky but better than retyping it all.

On the approve updates thing, I see no "Update" option in the Settings/Apps/ section but that may be because I have auto-update set. I am guessing if it needs to update again then it will notify again and I can look in the Settings/Apps thing again and maybe have an Update button available.

Thanks anyway.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

On your questions 1 and 2 - while entering into either the Google Search Bar or the omnibox in Chrome, when autocomplete options appear you should see an up-left arrow on the far right end of the autocomplete line.

Tap that arrow, and the suggestion should move up into the search box but still stay in entry mode so you can add more.

This works.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams