Google vs. Siri on flight status

jpoulin587

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I work for a company that has a lot of people traveling by air. I LOVE that I can say "OK Google Now. What is the status of US Airways flight 123" and it reports the status flight. I don't even have to look at my phone.

Siri just searches for the US Airways website.

I know Siri does other things well, but this feature is one I use a lot on my Moto X.

Posted via Android Central App

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I have a Nexus 5 and an Ipad Air and I find that i rarely ever use Siri, a few years ago Siri was popular, but these days Google seems to be able to match it plus better it.

Flexia

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
If you use Google now it will also display a card of the flight status and gate if your the one at the airport

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

pgg101

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't really use voice functions on my phone other than to read last message while driving.

A good travel app is all I really need that push notifications to my phone when there is a change. I mainly use BlackBerry Travel and Trip It when I'm OCD and want to double check.

Posted via Android Central App on BlackBerry Z30

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I have a Nexus 5 and an Ipad Air and I find that i rarely ever use Siri, a few years ago Siri was popular, but these days Google seems to be able to match it plus better it.

Ask your Nexus 5 if it can navigate to a person in your address book and tell me how that works. I have tried to get a gs3 and an htc one to voice navigate to a name whose address is in my contact and it never works. With Siri it does work. Siri can also read my last text or email or play my voicemail. Can't do that on my other two phones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Yeah it worked. I asked "Ok Google" where is my wife and it loaded Google maps to our home address - is that what u mean?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it worked. I asked "Ok Google" where is my wife and it loaded Google maps to our home address - is that what u mean?

No, that is not what I mean. Example: I have the address of my friend James in my contacts. I press the home button to activate Siri and then say: "Navigate to James," and Siri will do the rest. If I have two addresses for James, it will ask me which address to use and then it will do the rest.

I tried that on both my gs3 and HTC one and they both search the web for James and take me to a random address.

Sent from my 64 gig Retina IPad Mini

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Yeah that's what I was saying above. I say "okay Google navigate to my wife" and Google maps will load and direct me to her address. Tried the same with a few other people I have addresses saved for and it works perfectly

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
When you say "Ok Google text my wife" it will ask you to assign a contact to "your wife" you can do the same with Mum, Dad etc...

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Yeah that's what I was saying above. I say "okay Google navigate to my wife" and Google maps will load and direct me to her address. Tried the same with a few other people I have addresses saved for and it works perfectly

Well, it does not work on either my Verizon S3 or my HTC One GPE. I even called google and asked them if google now does that and they said no. Google now cannot voice navigate to an address from your contacts. I am glad yours work.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else able to use Google now to navigate to an address? I haven't used the function until u asked me to try it :) glad it works tho

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I've been able to get directions from Google Now when I ask it to navigate to a specific house or store.

Sent from my Xposed LG-G2 using Tapatalk

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Well, it does not work on either my Verizon S3 or my HTC One GPE. I even called google and asked them if google now does that and they said no. Google now cannot voice navigate to an address from your contacts. I am glad yours work.

I have also tried to do this on my Moto X. I spent quite a lot of time trying to make it work, because it would be very useful to me. I'm pretty sure it can't be done, at least on this phone.

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I've been able to get directions from Google Now when I ask it to navigate to a specific house or store.

Sent from my Xposed LG-G2 using Tapatalk

The question is to navigate to an address that is under a name in your contacts. Google now cannot reach into your contacts and pull out an address under a name and then use maps to navigate to that specific address. It does not have that functionality.

It can search for an address on the web and take you to that address, but it cannot do it if the address was ONLY in your contacts.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
On my Moto X this only works for me for places that I have previously been asked to identify as an important place, however not based only on a contact. It does work fine off of appointments where the contact's home was referenced as a location. Will test on my Nexus in a bit when I decide to move.