Motorola Assist and Bluetooth

Uncle Remus

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Does the driving feature of assist read your text over you car system speakers when connected via Bluetooth? I have not been able to find an answer to this anywhere.

I tried using this feature yesterday. It knows when I'm driving, receives the texts, does not read them to me (that I can hear) but it does display "listen". Because I use the hands free system in my truck (Ford Sync) no sound comes out the phone speaker, but the read texts do not come out of anything.

Am I missing something?

Hoot

Posted via Android Central App on my Nexus 7 (2013)

jasoraso

May 17, 2010
Visit site
When my Jawbone ERA headset is active on the phone, I hear the texts, and I can listen, and even respond over the headset.

When my phone is paired with my Kenwood head unit, I don't hear the texts from my phone OR my stereo.

Both devices use 2 profiles, the headset profile (for phone calls) and the A2DP profile (for listening to music etc.). I believe the Motorola Assist feature attempts to use the A2DP profile, which is successful on the Jawbone, but on the Kenwood it fails - because when I am listening to the radio, etc. on the Kenwood, the Kenwood doesn't output anything it gets from the A2DP profile.

I suspect that if I was listening to music on the Kenwood over the bluetooth A2DP connection, then when I recieved a text, I would probably hear the Assist feature.

I also think if I went into the BT settings on the phone and "unchecked" the A2DP profile on the Kenwood connection, that the Phone would read the texts on the phone's loudspeaker, instead of attempting to do it over bluetooth.

Perhaps if you actively listening to music from your phone over the BT connection to the Ford Sync when you got a text, you might hear the Assist?

Uncle Remus

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
That's exactly how mine is doing and what I was thinking! On well, at least while playing with it I figured out how to get Sync to read the texts to me and respond with canned messages....

To bad. Thanks for the reply!

If anyone has gotten theirs to work with Ford sync, please chime in.

Hoot

P.S. I am going to experiment with it while streaming music from the phone using the A2DP channel and see what happens....

Posted via Android Central App on my Nexus 7 (2013)

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The sound only comes out when you are using the "bluetooth audio" mode of Ford sync. It is rather annoying because I don't hear the assist function when listening to the radio. Also, when I'm streaming music from the phone I can hear the phone but it doesn't "hear" me. It doesn't stop whatever is streaming while we are "talking" to each other, and that creates confusion

Posted via Android Central App

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Can you use the ok google now read notifications command? my BT is jury rigged through the aux on my jvc kwr 500.

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com
My X is connected to my car using the Headset/Handfree profile. This is how I make/take calls, open the phone book, etc. Then I use a Blackberry Bluetooth Stereo Gateway (plugged into my car's AUX port) and the Bluetooth A2DP profile for Music from my X. This allows me to not have to have a wire from the headphone jack on the X to my car's AUX port, and listen to music via Rhapsody, or songs stored on my X.

When streaming music on the X (using Rhapsody or its internal music app) via Bluetooth & the BB Gateway, I have the car stereo on AUX and I hear all the assist sounds. I hear Google Maps navigating. etc. I can have it read me the texts, notifications, etc across the car stereo's speakers. And I am able to interact with the X.

However, when the car stereo is set to Radio or CD, the sounds of the X are still being sent via A2DP to the BB Gateway, and I wont hear them because the car is set for the "other source." Thankfully I can drop the connection to the BB Gateway, and still have the X connected as Headset/Hands free. This allows me to hear the sounds, notifications, etc via the X's speaker yet still make/take calls via the car's bluetooth setup.

I would imagine your car does the same, except that the bluetooth receiver in your car stereo supports both Headset/Handsfree and A2DP.

When I use the X with my Moto S11 Flex HD stereo headset, the X connects to it using both headset/hands free and A2DP. While listening to music, I still hear the Assist sound, notifications, and can interact. The music pauses or fades out while the phone plays the notification.

When using the S11, under the X's bluetooth options for it, I can DISCONNECT the A2DP or MultiMedia Audio profile and still have the Headset/Hands Free connected. This allows me the use the S11 only for phone calls, like a traditional BT headset/ear bud. And assist sounds/notifications/etc to come out the X's speaker. This might be what you need to do.

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, that's very helpful. I will try it out. If it works I feel like I should try to set up a Tasker macro which would re-connect a2dp when I am in the car and launch a streaming app. I've never actually used tasker, but I imagine it should be perfect for this type of thing.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22