Motorola shutting down US assembly plant by end of 2014

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Motorola's American dream is over | The Verge

And the reason is simple: Motorola's smartphones aren't selling well enough to keep the place running. "What we found was that the North American market was exceptionally tough," Motorola President Rick Osterloh told the Journal.

Quick reminder: Motorola is still owned by Google. The deal with Lenovo has not yet been finalized.

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Wow... Sorry to hear that. Was expecting it, but still bad news

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Moto G

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Moto X Texas Factory Closing

I can't say I'm surprised but I sure am sad. It was nice to get a fully customized phone in 3 days time 😿

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

ShlomoX

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site

China can glue on custom backs the same as Texas can......

Posted via Android Central App

Ah, if only so simple.

I think the article pretty much spells it out, low production numbers, high production costs and low pricing is unsustainable. Even in China customization adds cost plus how long is a US consumer willing to wait for delivery or pay for delivery. Anything is possible, but as unfortunate as it is it looks like the customized moto x is done.

pdaniel219

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site

That really blows. Why would they add the leather backs to it and never get to use them? Maybe all the reports were just rumor, wouldn't be the first time. I feel like buying another one and keeping it as a backup. Anyone think they'll still release the X+1? Would be nice even if it just came in black or white.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site

Ah, if only so simple.

I think the article pretty much spells it out, low production numbers, high production costs and low pricing is unsustainable. Even in China customization adds cost plus how long is a US consumer willing to wait for delivery or pay for delivery. Anything is possible, but as unfortunate as it is it looks like the customized moto x is done.

Actually it is that simple.....why do you think that nobody makes anything in the USA any more? Did you honestly think that lenovo was going to keep the Texas plant going? They have been bare bones now for months. Its been in the news, no surprise here. MotoMaker will roll just fine out of the country.

Kilroy13

Banned
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

So much for American made! Too bad that the x didn't sell!

SENT VIA MY LG G-FLEX ON SPRINT, POSTED BY ANDROID CENTRALS APP....LIFE IS GOOD✌

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

Such a bummer. I think having a phone made in the u.s. is really cool.

ShlomoX

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site

Actually it is that simple.....why do you think that nobody makes anything in the USA any more? Did you honestly think that lenovo was going to keep the Texas plant going? They have been bare bones now for months. Its been in the news, no surprise here. MotoMaker will roll just fine out of the country.

Saying that the Texas factory was doomed to fail is one thing...but logically how does that lead to the conclusion that motomaker remains.

In fact, why create a factory in the US in the first place if not for motomaker.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site

Well.....Motorola has already said that motomaker will continue after the Texas plant is closed.......hows that for logic?
Saying that the Texas factory was doomed to fail is one thing...but logically how does that lead to the conclusion that motomaker remains.

In fact, why create a factory in the US in the first place if not for motomaker.

ShlomoX

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site

Well.....Motorola has already said that motomaker will continue after the Texas plant is closed.......hows that for logic?

No logic provided in how you came to your conclusion really, just being real, but after your prior post you needed help and a search found you this article posted 2 hours ago lol - and bingo great news motomaker lives!!!

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/05/30/motorola-confirms-that-moto-maker-will-continue/

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

, I certainly do hope that that report is correct that moto maker will continue even after the Texas plant has closed. Everyone else here, I think it's still really really cool to get a phone customize to your exact specs versus every other black / white phone on the market I mean for example, this is the first one that I've ever owned that's cherry red on the back with neon yellow accents and white on the front which also said my nick name on the back...

anon(5002059)

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site

Just ordered unlocked gsm 32 gig. Black front, Ebony wood back with silver accents.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

I didn't think the Texas plant would last after the Lenovo purchase, but sad news nonetheless.

I do hope Motomaker makes it to the next model and beyond though.

Sent from my Moto X

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

Disappointing. I have had the X since release day for Verizon and it is still the best phone I've ever had. It is fantastic. And I even bought three more (one for me, one for my wife, one for our "backup device") via Motomaker when it became available for Verizon. Hopefully Lenovo can still provide some sort of awesome color options for the next iteration like Motomaker did.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

So much for American made! Too bad that the x didn't sell!

SENT VIA MY LG G-FLEX ON SPRINT, POSTED BY ANDROID CENTRALS APP....LIFE IS GOOD✌

...American assembled.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87