Can't access 5Ghz networks

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
No help from XDA or even from Motorola team yet. Perhaps someone can give an advice here before I conclude that phone is defective

grn4frk

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed mine doesn't either. My phone starts to connect to it but then it disappears and connects to the normal network.

Posted via Android Central App - Moto X

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed mine doesn't either. My phone starts to connect to it but then it disappears and connects to the normal network.

Posted via Android Central App - Moto X

Yes, mine does the same thing. Which router you have? I just bought Netgear N750, my Nexus 5 and my laptop both connect fine to 5Ghz, not Moto.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I have an Asus RT-N66U that runs both 2.4Ghz and 5ghz concurrent. My Moto X has no problems using either. Sorry I don't have a fix for ya but just wanted everybody to know it does work.

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I have an Asus RT-N66U that runs both 2.4Ghz and 5ghz concurrent. My Moto X has no problems using either. Sorry I don't have a fix for ya but just wanted everybody to know it does work.

Yeah I know it works, I am trying to figure out if its the router issues (hardware or settings) which I would need to return or the defective phone.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Well I don't know exactly whats happening but the likelihood it is the phone is low since you can detect 5Ghz signal. So you should start with the router and make sure there isn't anything stopping it on that end. If you know of any other 5Ghz network try to connect to them.

For my router I didn't have to do anything to get mine to connect but that doesn't mean you won't have to.

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Well I don't know exactly whats happening but the likelihood it is the phone is low since you can detect 5Ghz signal. So you should start with the router and make sure there isn't anything stopping it on that end. If you know of any other 5Ghz network try to connect to them.

For my router I didn't have to do anything to get mine to connect but that doesn't mean you won't have to.

I've done everything already, from playing with router settings to factory resetting the phone.
Yes, I didn't have to do anything to connect my laptop and N5 to 5Ghz

Waiting for grn4frk to reply. If he has Netgear then I will just return it today and get something else

weksa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I use a Netgear R6200, running both 2.4 and 5 GHz at the same time. My Moto X (AT&T 4.4.2) connects to the 5 GHz no problem. My router settings aren't special in any particular way.

In your Moto X WiFi advanced settings, do you have Wi-Fi frequency band set to Auto? Maybe try forcing 5 GHz just to check?

Last edited:

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I use a Netgear R6200, running both 2.4 and 5 GHz at the same time. My Moto X (AT&T 4.4.2) connects to the 5 GHz no problem. My router settings aren't special in any particular way.

In your Moto X WiFi advanced settings, do you have Wi-Fi frequency band set to Auto? Maybe try forcing 5 GHz just to check?

Done that too

I would try r6200 but everywhere I look, reviews are horrible.

Last edited:

weksa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Done that too

I would try r6200 but everywhere I look, reviews are horrible.
I use the R6200 (v1) because I got a great deal on it. $30 refurb. It was worth the try because while it was sold by another company on Amazon, it was fulfilled by Amazon = easy to return if I get a lemon. Company listed it as v2 refurb for $50, shipped me v1, asked Amazon for a partial refund instead of returning it (item doesn't match product description), got credited $20. Slick deal for a functioning unit that's a vast improvement over my old router.

I'm not recommending the R6200 in particular, more like giving you an idea on what great prices you can get on a new/refurb router.

However, I would suggest finding a friend with a 5 GHz band and try connecting your phone to that. If it doesn't work, use the Moto Care/Help app to chat with Customer Service, and they'll probably get you hooked up with a replacement.

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I use the R6200 (v1) because I got a great deal on it. $30 refurb. It was worth the try because while it was sold by another company on Amazon, it was fulfilled by Amazon = easy to return if I get a lemon. Company listed it as v2 refurb for $50, shipped me v1, asked Amazon for a partial refund instead of returning it (item doesn't match product description), got credited $20. Slick deal for a functioning unit that's a vast improvement over my old router.

I'm not recommending the R6200 in particular, more like giving you an idea on what great prices you can get on a new/refurb router.

However, I would suggest finding a friend with a 5 GHz band and try connecting your phone to that. If it doesn't work, use the Moto Care/Help app to chat with Customer Service, and they'll probably get you hooked up with a replacement.

No friends with 5Ghz network :)
Was looking at Asus RT-AC66U router to replace, but it would be a pain to return/test everything and it ends up being Moto X defect. Moto customer service is pretty disappointing experience so far too :) I was on the phone with some ***** who assured me for 30 minutes that Moto X does NOT support 5Ghz at all. After I pointed him to HIS moto website where it says "Dual Band", he put me on hold and told me that its dual band 2.4Ghz NOT 5Ghz which made no sense at all. I had him look up dictionary on word "Dual" after that he said he will call me back within 24-48 hours.....that was on Friday and no call so far

weksa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Update: bought Asus RT-AC66U and its the same problem so its not the router
I've seen people have better luck chatting instead of calling Motorola. Just tell them your phone is defective and can't connect to the 5GHz band. You even bought another router to prove it.

If you've got a Moto Maker, they'll give you a code to make a new phone. If not, they'll send you the same black/white, in which case they redirect you to a website where you fill out RMA stuff.

Good luck.

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I've seen people have better luck chatting instead of calling Motorola. Just tell them your phone is defective and can't connect to the 5GHz band. You even bought another router to prove it.

If you've got a Moto Maker, they'll give you a code to make a new phone. If not, they'll send you the same black/white, in which case they redirect you to a website where you fill out RMA stuff.

Good luck.

its all set now. i called again and will be getting replacement in 11 days. that level 2 tech "Jamie" never called back after his ridiculous statements. people like that should be fired.

now the dilemma is to keep RT-AC66U or do back to that Netgear WNDR4300 :) Its $80 bucks more but supports AC WiFi networks

Last edited:

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I have Netgear N750 router and it works fine. So, you may try it.

That's what I just returned :) not sure about AC vs N thing. I guess it makes sense to go with AC since both N5 and Moto X support it, and my laptop is wired. I just want to minimize all the loading in Chromecast

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
FIXED

Unfortunately when fixing the problem I had MAC filtering ON which I forgot about, so not sure what actually fixed the issue.

When I got new phone, I noticed when I put new none activated SIM in old phone, everything starts to work. I called T-Mobile and we activated new SIM, reset my tower connection, and rep as well changed my address to match 911 or something (rep said it can create a problem?) Of course nothing helped and that's when I realized about MAC so once I took care of that on my side everything started to work.

There was definitely some weird issue associated with cell network though, it has nothing to do with Moto or router!

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Lol MAC filtering for the hundredth time. I was going to ask about that in my first post but then thought there are like a hundred threads like that already it can't be that simple.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech