Moto X incompatible with Google Keyboard app? Why?

Steven Brumfield

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,

I was setting up my Moto X and noticed that the Moto X comes with a AOSP version of the Android Keyboard which lacks the gesture typing feature. I went ahead and tried to download and install the Google Keyboard app from the Google Play Store site on my desktop, but it said that my Moto X is not compatible with the app as it cannot be installed in the device's country (Germany). I find this strange as I used to have a Nexus 5 on another account where I used the Google Keyboard. Now I know I can grab the apk and install it that way, but still I would like to know why I am unable to install the Google Keyboard app, I don't really buy this "country" thing.

I attached a screenshot, thanks for your input. :)
Screenshot 2014-07-05 at 20.06.43.png

mac00l

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Make sure you have kitkat. Otherwise you won't be able to get the latest version. Why don't you install SwiftKey? It's free now

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Google Keyboard is the stock keyboard on the Moto X. Gesture typing may need to be enabled in settings, but it's definitely there (I used it to type this).

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I use the Google keyboard and it's what came on the phone. Gesture typing was enabled by default for me.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

ProParkour

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
You might need to enable it in your settings. I used it to type this and it works perfectly fine.

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-07-06-04-29-17.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-07-06-04-29-17.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 176

Steven Brumfield

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunatly, I have only the AOSP keyboard to chose from, not the Google Keyboard. Oh well, maybe more luck with Android L when it's released. Thanks for the link to the L keyboard, but it seems like it was taken down before I could get it...