Text option does not appear next to email address in contacts

android_Help

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I recently crawled out of a cave and left my flip phone behind. Of course, now I am trying to do exactly what I did with my G'Zone on the Moto X. I want to send a text to an email address. The 'text' option does not appear in the Contacts list next to email addresses - it only appears next to phone numbers.
Is there any setting I can adjust to allow this to happen easily? Really don't want to d/l an app for that - its seems too simple unless the powers that be are forcing us to use an email service which will probably increase my data usage. ??
Thanks.

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
It's not "the powers that be", it's the technology. Text messages (SMS) use the phone network and, therefore, need a phone number as the "address". E-mail uses the data connection (3G, 4G, etc.) so you'll have to use an e-mail application for your contacts with only an e-mail address.

android_Help

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Scott. Bear with me for a follow on question:
Why did this work on my GZone? I selected "New text msg", opened Contact List, selected email address and wrote/sent text to the email address...it did not require a phone number.
Thanks for your time!

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Scott. Bear with me for a follow on question:
Why did this work on my GZone? I selected "New text msg", opened Contact List, selected email address and wrote/sent text to the email address...it did not require a phone number.
Thanks for your time!

Sorry, I don't know what a GZone is or how it works. It must have had some way to send an e-mail, maybe a service gateway at the phone or server level that redirected it to e-mail.

hisense

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I think this might be the Verizon Casio GZ one cell phone. If so, Verizon provided a free feature called Vtext that enabled sending and receiving texts via email service.

Now that you have a smart phone and a data plan, you can send an email direct and text messages direct. So you have two separate features now.

weksa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
To be fair to the OP so that s/he doesn't seem crazy, my friend has sent texts from an iPhone 4 to my email. To be exact, it was a received text on the iPhone that was forwarded to my email. I haven't seen any built-in thing on the Moto X. It may require another messaging app.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar