09-29-2014 11:36 AM
159 1234 ...
tools
    The mixed usage results on *not final software* are all showing approximately the same battery life as current gen Moto X's with better standby time for those who don't use a lot of SOT. People really need to stop worrying about battery size and worry about battery life. They're not 1:x unless you're talking about two otherwise identical devices. A 2300 mAh battery in a Moto phone will have different life than a 2300 mAh battery in an HTC or Samsung phone. If it gets most people though a full day or more.... isn't that what we've been asking for?
    +10000000000000000000000
    Ry, delrey1900 and maxman1 like this.
    09-08-2014 10:32 AM
    I think someone said it right when they said if the current moto x isn't enough, the new moto x isn't going to magically become that.

There are people who can't charge their phones for 14+ hours, will not be on wifi, may be in a low signal area, but still need to stream netflix for hours or use their device a lot, and then go out after work and not have to worry about battery. I don't think the new or old moto x really fits for that use case. If that was me, I'd get a device with a removable battery.

For other people in a more generic "normal" use, if you can plug it in for 15 minutes before you leave work with the rapid charger you'll be good until after midnight.

Speaking of rapid chargers, is this an industry standard device? Or do you have to buy the $35 one from moto?
    09-08-2014 10:34 AM
    Speaking of rapid chargers, is this an industry standard device? Or do you have to buy the $35 one from moto?
    My understanding is the rapid charger offered by Motorola only works with phones that have Qualcomm's quick charge tech built into them, like the new X does. Otherwise it works as a standard charger. Conceivably, then, any charger that supports the tech would work with the new X for rapid charging.
    09-08-2014 10:48 AM
    I think someone said it right when they said if the current moto x isn't enough, the new moto x isn't going to magically become that.

There are people who can't charge their phones for 14+ hours, will not be on wifi, may be in a low signal area, but still need to stream netflix for hours or use their device a lot, and then go out after work and not have to worry about battery. I don't think the new or old moto x really fits for that use case. If that was me, I'd get a device with a removable battery.

For other people in a more generic "normal" use, if you can plug it in for 15 minutes before you leave work with the rapid charger you'll be good until after midnight.

I believe I read from DL that it's something Qualcomm announced a bit ago but idt they've released one yet. There were a lot of comments of how it's going to destroy your battery though, so before I go that route I'm hoping I see some more info on the technology being used to do it.

http://www.androidcentral.com/qualco...t-world-follow
    https://www.qualcomm.com/products/sn...n/quick-charge
    09-08-2014 10:50 AM
    I think it is a little more power efficient but I don't see the power efficiency improvements on the soc enough to overpower the screen and sensors battery drain.
    Yep... it comes back to that screen. No matter how much Motorola fiddles with the background stuff, low-powered cores for sensors, etc.... with that big ol' 1080p screen cranking away, even if it is AMOLED, it's going to use up some juice. I used to have a Nexus 5, powered by the same sized battery. And while I would expect the new X to be a little bit more efficient (based on the LCD vs AMOLED alone), it's not going to be significantly more.

So that turned me off.... and I'm hoping that if a 5.2" screened Nexus is on the horizon, Google wises up and puts in something in the 3000mah neighborhood.
    ScottMGS likes this.
    09-08-2014 12:05 PM
    After moving from the MotoX to the OnePlus One, I am admittedly worried about going back down in battery size. But I made do with it the first time around. I'm hoping to be able to return to the MotoX again!
    09-08-2014 12:09 PM
    Not ruined.
    09-08-2014 12:21 PM
    http://ifunny.mobi/i/dC5jrpv62

Posted via Android Central App
    09-08-2014 01:13 PM
    Yep... it comes back to that screen. No matter how much Motorola fiddles with the background stuff, low-powered cores for sensors, etc.... with that big ol' 1080p screen cranking away, even if it is AMOLED, it's going to use up some juice. I used to have a Nexus 5, powered by the same sized battery. And while I would expect the new X to be a little bit more efficient (based on the LCD vs AMOLED alone), it's not going to be significantly more.

So that turned me off.... and I'm hoping that if a 5.2" screened Nexus is on the horizon, Google wises up and puts in something in the 3000mah neighborhood.
    Didn't they say the new display was actually MORE power efficient than the old one?
    09-08-2014 02:07 PM
    Didn't they say the new display was actually MORE power efficient than the old one?
    I thought I read that also.

09-08-2014 02:15 PM
    Yes, they did say that. However, all newer AMOLEDs like the S5 have the "more efficient" screen and I've seen how long that 2800mah battery lasts. It last about all day which is what I was hoping to get out of the new X. I have a car charger and a charger almost everywhere I go but I was hoping I wouldn't need to always be in the proximity of a charger with a 2014 flagship phone. Software can't fix hardware capacity people. I'm a Motorola fan too but lets not be blind to real issues. No matter how efficient, 2300mah is embarrassing and Motorola should be ashamed of themselves. I didn't need a 3500mah but at least something competitive with a phone that was released in the past two years. It makes no sense to me but I'll probably still give the new X a try. With that said,I'm not very optimistic.
    09-08-2014 03:05 PM
    Whatever you expect is what you will find.
    09-08-2014 03:07 PM
    Yes, they did say that. However, all newer AMOLEDs like the S5 have the "more efficient" screen and I've seen how long that 2800mah battery lasts. It last about all day which is what I was hoping to get out of the new X. I have a car charger and a charger almost everywhere I go but I was hoping I wouldn't need to always be in the proximity of a charger with a 2014 flagship phone. Software can't fix hardware capacity people. I'm a Motorola fan too but lets not be blind to real issues. No matter how efficient, 2300mah is embarrassing and Motorola should be ashamed of themselves. I didn't need a 3500mah but at least something competitive with a phone that was released in the past two years. It makes no sense to me but I'll probably still give the new X a try. With that said,I'm not very optimistic.
    So, if total device power is the same or better, and battery size is the same or better, wouldn't battery life be the same or better?
    Aquila likes this.
    09-08-2014 03:26 PM
    So, if total device power is the same or better, and battery size is the same or better, wouldn't battery life be the same or better?
    Yes, I would agree with that statement. However, thats not the case here. The device will NEED more power (bigger screen and 1080p quality) with more or less essentially the same power capacity. I hope it is at least the same as the current X but I doubt it will be better. The VP of Motorola only has one statement to say when people ask him about the new Xs battery capacity and that is "It last long enough for me". Maybe I'm overbeasting this issue but it really bothers me.

Unfortunately, we can't say " just get a different phone, that's the beauty of android" because I can't get a different phone with the Moto features/hardware options that has a respectable battery...unless I wait for the new MAXX Droid but I doubt it'll come in metal/leather and wood options.
    09-08-2014 04:21 PM
    Folks are doing the math wrong.

Assumption / common complaint:
    Smaller battery + bigger screen = worse battery life

More accurate assumption:
    More efficient screen (even at a larger size) + more efficient chip = likely similar battery life in spite of slightly smaller battery.

Still, even that equation is an assumption, and only giving real world users some time with the device will start to yield some really trustworthy data.
    ScottsoNJ, Ry and Anonne like this.
    09-08-2014 04:40 PM
    It concerns me, but until we have more data I won't say it's a deal breaker. Lack of SD card support is a deal breaker for me.
    09-08-2014 05:00 PM
    Well, 'more efficient' is a loaded term. Does it use less total power, or less power per pixel (or some discrete amount)? Marketing types like semantic tricks like that. An engine that gets 20mpg could technically be more efficient than one that get 25mpg, it all depends on the metric.

I'll withhold final judgement until I see some good test results. But 2300 is still 2300.
    dmark44 likes this.
    09-08-2014 06:12 PM
    Yes, I would agree with that statement. However, thats not the case here. The device will NEED more power (bigger screen and 1080p quality) with more or less essentially the same power capacity. I hope it is at least the same as the current X but I doubt it will be better. The VP of Motorola only has one statement to say when people ask him about the new Xs battery capacity and that is "It last long enough for me". Maybe I'm overbeasting this issue but it really bothers me.

Unfortunately, we can't say " just get a different phone, that's the beauty of android" because I can't get a different phone with the Moto features/hardware options that has a respectable battery...unless I wait for the new MAXX Droid but I doubt it'll come in metal/leather and wood options.
    I say lets wait for some real world testing, both professional (like AC) and those that buy the phone at launch. This assumption thing is driving me crazy. Now I know why Apple doesn't always release details of their specs.

And if you don't like it having a 2300mah battery, don't buy the phone. No one is sticking a gun to your head. Go buy the Note 4 if you are worried about numbers.
    09-08-2014 07:03 PM
    It took the verge's battery test 8h44m to run down the new Moto x battery. The same test took 8h16m to drain the g3.

Not real world, but it's the first side by side I can find.
    huntnyc and Anonne like this.
    09-08-2014 07:19 PM
    The Verge review stated the battery life isn't as good as other flagship phones like the HTC One M8, Galaxy S5 etc.

Dealbreaker to me. Not going to swap my phone for one with worse battery life.
    09-08-2014 07:37 PM
    It took the verge's battery test 8h44m to run down the new Moto x battery. The same test took 8h16m to drain the g3.

Not real world, but it's the first side by side I can find.
    But they said it doesn't last as long as G3, which is weird.
    I would wait for other reviews like GSMarena, Anandtech. If it's no better than G3, S5 on battery, I'm passing new moto X.
    09-08-2014 07:42 PM
    But they said it doesn't last as long as G3, which is weird.
    I would wait for other reviews like GSMarena, Anandtech. If it's no better than G3, S5 on battery, I'm passing new moto X.
    Because they all vary by user, location, signal strength, antenna, time of day, etc etc. At least from the bench test you can see the thing isn't ridiculously under powered.
    09-08-2014 07:45 PM
    The Verge review stated the battery life isn't as good as other flagship phones like the HTC One M8, Galaxy S5 etc.

Dealbreaker to me. Not going to swap my phone for one with worse battery life.
    I would wait for real life comparisons of battery life for the new moto x before passing judgment. The x line uses the battery differently than other phones on the market. Motorola's 1st gen moto x used battery in way that utilizes the battery, such as active notifications and assist, more efficiently. The new generation seems to use the same concept, but IR sensors seems to further improve the battery drainage. Plus, the hardware may have a few tricks up its sleeves to offset its new ability to project 1080p on a 5.2 inch screen with the latest proc and CPU.

Anonne likes this.
    09-08-2014 07:56 PM
    No offense to any Verge employees, but I'd recommend reading something else.
    09-08-2014 08:22 PM
    While I fully recognize we don't really know yet...

It only bums me out because as best it will probably "as good as anything else". They could have engineered in a larger battery and made it potentially fantastic, but instead it seems they took the just enough approach. This is not an area I predicted they would skimp on...

I guess they wanted it to match the moto 360 *rib*rib*... Too soon?
    09-08-2014 08:55 PM
159 1234 ...