09-29-2014 11:36 AM
159 ... 4567
tools
    Doesn't bother me. Small trade-off for otherwise a fantastic phone. Have been using the 2013 version for a year and love it. No battery issues.
    UJ95x likes this.
    09-20-2014 10:29 AM
    09-20-2014 10:44 AM

The conclusion of that review states it well:

Ultimately, you have to think about what matters the most to you. If you want the best possible battery life or the most exceptional camera, the new Moto X may not be the right option. As with the first-gen model, there are absolutely individual areas where other smartphones come out ahead.

But if you want a distinctive device that's full of genuinely useful features -- with thoughtful software that'll get timely and frequent upgrades in the future -- you'll be hard-pressed to find another product that matches what the Moto X provides. Factor in the lower-than-average cost both on contract and unlocked, and the new Moto X is a tough all-around package to beat.
    DC Wuff, Anonne, UJ95x and 1 others like this.
    09-20-2014 12:26 PM
    Still works for me. Might get the turbo charger if I find that I need it. Otherwise its an upgrade over my M7.
    I'm thinking about that turbo charger too. The Power Pack might be more practical, though. Can't make up my mind on that one.
    cgardnervt likes this.
    09-20-2014 01:15 PM
    Doesn't bother me. Small trade-off for otherwise a fantastic phone. Have been using the 2013 version for a year and love it. No battery issues.
    My current X gets me through the day and then some. I'm fortunate to always have a strong signal where I live and where I work, which makes a huge difference, and I often go a whole day, overnight, and the next day before charging it. If the new X gets me through the day easily, I'm fine with charging it every night. The biggest factor with battery drain on my current X is signal. When I'm visiting my folks the signal is poor, and I have to charge it before the end of the afternoon.

For me, the new X's battery is a tad disappointing, but not a deal breaker for me. But that's probably because I've been so happy with my current X's battery life.
    09-20-2014 01:20 PM
    Mmm, it's an upgrade for me. It's higher than my nexus 4.. which is rated at 32h, and nexus 5 at 40h... I'll take anything.
    If I rarely make a call in a day that is more than 5 minutes, if that at all, and most text, im, and web browse for 4-5 hours a day... am I going to have trouble on this phone?
    09-20-2014 04:08 PM
    I love my current Moto X and will be ordering the new X, just as soon as I decide on Motomaker.

I'm excited for the new build quality and IR sensor based features, and am not particularly concerned about battery life. Fortunately, as a previous poster, I live, commute, work and socialize in strong signal areas. I haven't had problems with battery life for my current Moto X, and anticipate similar performance from the new model.

The discussion in this thread was very helpful though, I thank all posters for their thoughtful contributions.
    09-20-2014 04:28 PM
    Got the power pack. I only loose my keys rarely but when I do it isn't pretty.

Posted via the Android Central App
    sharkita likes this.
    09-22-2014 07:47 AM
    According to Phone Arena's battery test, the iPhone 6 does worse than the new Moto X: Our iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus battery life tests are done, both trail the competition

Moto X battery size ruins everything for me, anyone else?-o6oetpv.png
    cgardnervt and delrey1900 like this.
    09-22-2014 10:16 AM
    According to Phone Arena's battery test, the iPhone 6 does worse than the new Moto X: Our iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus battery life tests are done, both trail the competition

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	O6oeTPv.png 
Views:	78 
Size:	144.9 KB 
ID:	137805
    Now thats interesting. Plus lets not mention that it really depends on how someone uses it. For me and my M7 it should be an upgrade I hope! If not I could send it back. But I want my own test to be done! :P
    delrey1900 likes this.
    09-22-2014 10:25 AM
    Does anyone know of another charger like the "Motorola Turbo Charger"? I want to buy it but I would rather have one in the car then for the house. How great would it be to give my phone 8 more hours battery life on my 15 minute drive.
    dmark44 likes this.
    09-22-2014 11:09 AM
    Does anyone know of another charger like the "Motorola Turbo Charger"? I want to buy it but I would rather have one in the car then for the house. How great would it be to give my phone 8 more hours battery life on my 15 minute drive.
    Just to clarify, that's 8 hours of "talk" time. For context, hey boast about 13 hours of talk time... but when they say adding up to 8 hours I don't know if they mean increase by 60% (roughly) or charge up to 60% or if 60% has nothing to do with it and they're talking about something else entirely.
    09-22-2014 11:19 AM
    Now you have Anandtech's battery benchmark claiming iPhone 6 does better. Much better. In fact, the Moto X looks rather low down there on this chart (even below the OG Moto X!): AnandTech | iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus: Preliminary Results

Moto X battery size ruins everything for me, anyone else?-67832-iphone-6-battery.png
    09-22-2014 01:59 PM
    Now you have Anandtech's battery benchmark claiming iPhone 6 does better. Much better. In fact, the Moto X looks rather low down there on this chart (even below the OG Moto X!): AnandTech | iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus: Preliminary Results

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	67832-iphone-6-battery.png 
Views:	167 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	137837
    Interesting...However I'd take Phone Arena's word over Anandtech's IMO. But again real life test is the only test to really live by.
    On2Vegas and Anonne like this.
    09-22-2014 02:08 PM
    Interesting...However I'd take Phone Arena's word over Anandtech's IMO. But again real life test is the only test to really live by.
    I'm really looking forward to people's real life impressions of battery (and camera).

I thought Anandtech is amongst the most reliable reviews/testers? Certainly better than Phone Arena, no? I thought they are among the worse...?
    nonstopski likes this.
    09-22-2014 02:40 PM
    These so called tests don't really measure how most people use their phone in the real world. Signal strength has a huge effect on battery life. This is something I think most people don't take into account with the Moto X. Motorola typically has great antennas and the new Moto X has a new design that is supposed to be significantly better. This should give it a better comparative signal strength than any other phone and thus will have slower battery drain. Will it have the best battery life available? No. But it will be much better in the real world than the specs indicate.

Posted via Android Central App
    On2Vegas, slg1906 and Anonne like this.
    09-22-2014 03:54 PM
    Just to clarify, that's 8 hours of "talk" time. For context, hey boast about 13 hours of talk time... but when they say adding up to 8 hours I don't know if they mean increase by 60% (roughly) or charge up to 60% or if 60% has nothing to do with it and they're talking about something else entirely.
    They need to clarify this.
    09-22-2014 04:11 PM
    Both of those test above proves that you battery life performance will vary. The S5 also differs quite a bit between the two. Synthetic benchmarks are a good starting point but real life results always vary. Just look at your EPA numbers compared to what you get. And battery times aren't even regulated by a universal party....
    Anonne likes this.
    09-22-2014 05:22 PM
    Unless the battery life is utterly terrible I would not bother. And personally I have made a point to always get a second charger the resides at work. And that is also useful when I travel so my main charger never leaves home.

Posted via Android Central App
    09-22-2014 05:49 PM
    I'm really looking forward to people's real life impressions of battery (and camera).

I thought Anandtech is amongst the most reliable reviews/testers? Certainly better than Phone Arena, no? I thought they are among the worse...?
    I think Anandtech's testings are more accurate and thorough. They put the brightness at the same 200 nits for all phones in battery testing. But I guess phonearena does that at full brightness, which partly explains disparity between two results. At 200 nits, iPhone 6 is at 1/3 of full brightness.

But either way, moto X battery results doesn't look good compared to other flagships.
    nonstopski likes this.
    09-22-2014 06:08 PM
    I think Anandtech's testings are more accurate and thorough. They put the brightness at the same 200 nits for all phones in battery testing. But I guess phonearena does that at full brightness, which partly explains disparity between two results. At 200 nits, iPhone 6 is at 1/3 of full brightness.

But either way, moto X battery results doesn't look good compared to other flagships.
    Full brightness puts a disproportionate weight of the results on the display itself, and doesn't offer a level playing field. The thought process being that one manufacturer might have decided to spend $20 more on the display than another, when that other spent it on something else that would save them power.
    09-22-2014 06:54 PM
    Battery life would NEVER make not get a phone. That's why they invented chargers and portable chargers people. If i can at least 10-12 hours im happy, plus im in my car at least an hour a day and that pretty much doubles my battery life.
    Anonne likes this.
    09-22-2014 06:57 PM
    Battery life would NEVER make not get a phone.
    What he said! Wait... What?

Sent from my Moto X
    ryanr509 likes this.
    09-22-2014 10:36 PM
    Anandtech calibrates the screen to 200 nits. This should not be done. All displays should be set to "auto". Phonearena puts the Moto X 2014 above the iPhone 6 (5h45 vs 5h22).
    nonstopski likes this.
    09-23-2014 07:29 PM
    Anandtech calibrates the screen to 200 nits. This should not be done. All displays should be set to "auto". Phonearena puts the Moto X 2014 above the iPhone 6 (5h45 vs 5h22).
    If they were set to auto, and the brightness of the room changed for different phone tests, it would be an inaccurate and unfair comparison.

If you calibrate all phones to the same measurable brightness, it takes that variable out of the equation. It would be better if they did the test multiple times at different brightness levels with every phone, but there is only so much time in a day I suppose.
    09-23-2014 09:22 PM
159 ... 4567