Moto X battery size ruins everything for me, anyone else?

grn4frk

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone else thinking about not getting the new X because of the battery size? I love my X now but the battery life isn't very good. I unplug it around 7am for work and by the time I get off at 4, it's usually below 30%. With a half an inch bigger screen, 1080p quality pushing approx 100+ more pixels per inch and four new IR sensors, I don't see how a measly 100mah increase is going to even match what the current X does. As hard as it is to imagine leaving action notifications, twist camera and touch less controls, I really believe this going to be a deal-breaker for me. I'm tired of having to worry about my battery and now, in 2014, in a flagship phone, I have to be even more worried about it. I really want to know who made this decision and flick them in the temple lol. MAYBE, Android L will help battery life some but I don't see anyway possible for it to match the current X's battery life. I waited to hear at least some real world reviews of it and as expected, its not holding up. (https://plus.google.com/+DroidLife/posts/FkCarQw6gHm) . Does anyone else feel the same way or have any other thoughts?

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
The battery life seems OK to me. People had the same complaints about the original, but it turned out to be very energy-efficient. From what I understand, the Snapdragon 801 is more efficient than the X8 system in the original, so perhaps it will be fine. If you want battery life, gotta go with the MAXX.

What might cause me to not buy the New Moto X is the screen size. I prefer a smaller phone. I'm eager to see what Apple pulls out of their hat on Tuesday (I know, blasphemy... but they're the only ones releasing a top-tier "small" phone).

Last edited:

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
So their review said 11 hours at 27% battery with 2 hours screen on time while on att lte in Chicago. That's about what I would expect with my x but would be nice if it was better.

For me it's not a big deal. I work from home, on wifi. When I go on a trip I bring a battery pack for the plane/emergencies. If I go to the beach I'm charging my phone the whole way there anyways and with a 1 year old I don't spend 15 hours out anywhere really. But still... It's a bit of a disappointment.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
If they went bigger then they'd need to make the phone bigger and or thicker. I prefer the look and feel of the phone so I think I'm happy with their choice.

Then again I work where I can charge the phone all day if I want and I have a car charger for times when I'm out and about.

Posted via Android Central App

grn4frk

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the newer soc is a lot more power efficient don't forget about that

I think it is a little more power efficient but I don't see the power efficiency improvements on the soc enough to overpower the screen and sensors battery drain. Not to mention,the S5, M8 etc. all have the 801 & smaller screens..but they way have bigger batteries and they get about all day from one charge so with a bigger screen/way smaller battery, I don't see how the X will compete. Its very disappointing that Motorola improved every shortcoming I had with my current X except the cheapest and most complained about issue with EVERY phone. I hope you are right though. I really want the new X but the battery really has me torn.

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
If they went bigger then they'd need to make the phone bigger and or thicker. I prefer the look and feel of the phone so I think I'm happy with their choice.

1mm thicker would probably allow for a 3000+mah battery.

I'm waiting to see what the MAXX, Nexus and X Play options are.

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I think we also have to take into account here that the goal of these companies is to come out with a product that is just good enough for you to want to ditch the old one and buy it, but not so good that you wouldn't eventually want to ditch it for something slightly better next year.

Motorola COULD have stuck in a bigger battery and made the phone a hair thicker. But then, that would have raised the level of their game, and they would have to top it every successive year, or risk losing customers. That becomes costly.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Let's see. I get 4.5 to 5hours screen on time with the original Moto X. I get 6 hours screen on time with the Moto G.

Nope, I'm not concerned.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
1mm thicker would probably allow for a 3000+mah battery.

I'm waiting to see what the MAXX, Nexus and X Play options are.
It's a dilema for the designers. For some reason the public hate and won't buy thick phones. I have already seen people complaining about how the new Moto X is too thick.

I hate thin phones (8mm or thinner, they are usually not very comfortable to hold).

I think the Droid Maxx 2 or whatever it is called will be a better option, hope it comes out soon.
Not everyone will want to give money to Verizon. For me, no bootloader unlock, no buy, even if I don't root.

darkestred

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
I was looking forward to this phone. I love the g2 but i really hate how 3g takes forever to load pages in some areas. Some other nuances with the phone but very minor. The Moto X is almost identical in size to the g2 so a nice lateral move. After seeing the specs for this device pre-revealing...2900 mah battery. Cool. Now 2300? This is going to be pretty poor battery performance.

Any chance verizon somehow ups it to the supposed 2900 from the rumored specs? Hopefully.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Luciano Carvohl said:
On my new Moto X, I got 20 hours total, with 4 hours screen yesterday. And 15 hours with 5.5 hours screen time today. Mixed WiFi and good AT&T coverage from the suburbs. Watched at least 30 "first impressions" videos this morning, used the screen a lot today.

I know everybody is going to take everything I say with a grain of salt because I work at Moto... I have some screen shots to share with you if you demand proof. :)

From that same droid life thread...

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
It *could* be a deal breaker. We won't know until reviewers have had it a couple of weeks. I am of course disappointed it is not bigger regardless of how long it lasts. Bigger is never a bad thing ;-)

It is honestly the only potentially really bad thing on the phone that we know of yet. Everything else looks at least adequate spec wise.

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
The Samsung Galaxy Alpha and Sony Z3 Compact are "normal" size and top tier.

Whoa, I completely forgot about the Z3 Compact. Good call. And I wasn't even aware of the Alpha. The 720p display doesn't bother me all that much. But I don't know much about these Exynos chips. What is the performance benefit (or hindrance) compared to the traditional Snapdragon chips that everyone uses?

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
One review does not tell the whole story of battery life. We don't know what kind of signal strength the Droid Life poster had, or if he had any wifi access at all. That said, if you're not seeing great battery life with your current X, then I somehow doubt the new one will offer much improvement. You may just be in an area that has weak signal, and any phone is going to struggle there. If it's a concern, buy a portable power pack for back-up.

Personally I'm a little disappointed they didn't try to squeeze a bigger battery in, but for me I don't think it's going to matter much. I'm on wifi all day and don't use my phone much, and I'll likely pick up Moto's new little keyfob charger for when I'm on cellular all day as a backup in case I'm stuck somewhere with crappy signal.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
To me battery life is everything. Doesn't matter how badass of a phone u have if the battery doesn't last. I need around 5 hours of screen on time with my phone to last me a good day which is about 16 hours or so for me. My s5 does it as did My note 3 and RAZR maxx. Most of my other phones didn't including my s3, RAZR, original note, nexus 4. After all those phones I realized it was pointless to have such an awesome phone if I had to turn off everything dim the brightness turn off sync and all that. Whats the point? I missed on a lot of great pictures and memories because of that. That's the reason I'm only looking at the note 4 and next RAZR maxx. With the gs5 barely meeting my needs and it has a 2800mah battery then any other phone will need 3000+ mah battery to meet my #1 need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol