Moto X battery size ruins everything for me, anyone else?

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
The issue with me is I have a charger at home, in my car and at work. If I ever travel I take my 6000mAh battery pack. It's a bit difficult for me to go anywhere and not have access to charging. I will be shocked if I can't get 4hours screen on time with the new Moto X or the battery die before 7pm.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The Samsung Galaxy Alpha and Sony Z3 Compact are "normal" size and top tier.

Posted via Android Central App

Whoa, I completely forgot about the Z3 Compact. Good call. And I wasn't even aware of the Alpha. The 720p display doesn't bother me all that much. But I don't know much about these Exynos chips. What is the performance benefit (or hindrance) compared to the traditional Snapdragon chips that everyone uses?

Keep in mind that neither phone(AFAIK) has been announced for American markets and probably will not come. So maybe if you are on AT&T you can get full value out of them and be able to purchase from an importer?

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
The Sony has been announced with US bands. And the Sony website is set up for US customers. That seems promising.

My current Moto doesn't have quite enough battery for me. If I go out from work, I have to worry about charging it at the office. When I had wireless charging, I didn't care, but fussing with the charger is surprisingly inconvenient. So I'm hoping for better battery life in my next phone.

Vaas

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
My initial thought was yes, I am not going to get it because of the battery. Then I thought, this is Moto and they did a great job on the first phone. I can sit at work for 8-9hrs and go out, the phone will be at 60-65%. I have used all day off and on and no problems on battery. So believe they will be doing some of there work on the phone to make very efficient even with the new bigger screen. I also like the idea of the new super fast charger, that gives you 8hrs of time with a 15min charge.

I will wait and see on reviews on both of those battery and charger until I make my final decision. The problem I have is the S5 is horrible looking to me, the LG G3 is nice but missing the Moto software, I like the close to android. The HTC One M8 was a close competition until the 4mp camera. I know a camera is more than just pixels but really, 4mp. So I am holding out the new X comes close in battery life and the camera is comes out good. I really want a better camera.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The mixed usage results on *not final software* are all showing approximately the same battery life as current gen Moto X's with better standby time for those who don't use a lot of SOT. People really need to stop worrying about battery size and worry about battery life. They're not 1:x unless you're talking about two otherwise identical devices. A 2300 mAh battery in a Moto phone will have different life than a 2300 mAh battery in an HTC or Samsung phone. If it gets most people though a full day or more.... isn't that what we've been asking for?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
The mixed usage results on *not final software* are all showing approximately the same battery life as current gen Moto X's with better standby time for those who don't use a lot of SOT. People really need to stop worrying about battery size and worry about battery life. They're not 1:x unless you're talking about two otherwise identical devices. A 2300 mAh battery in a Moto phone will have different life than a 2300 mAh battery in an HTC or Samsung phone. If it gets most people though a full day or more.... isn't that what we've been asking for?

+10000000000000000000000

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I think someone said it right when they said if the current moto x isn't enough, the new moto x isn't going to magically become that.

There are people who can't charge their phones for 14+ hours, will not be on wifi, may be in a low signal area, but still need to stream netflix for hours or use their device a lot, and then go out after work and not have to worry about battery. I don't think the new or old moto x really fits for that use case. If that was me, I'd get a device with a removable battery.

For other people in a more generic "normal" use, if you can plug it in for 15 minutes before you leave work with the rapid charger you'll be good until after midnight.

Speaking of rapid chargers, is this an industry standard device? Or do you have to buy the $35 one from moto?

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Speaking of rapid chargers, is this an industry standard device? Or do you have to buy the $35 one from moto?

My understanding is the rapid charger offered by Motorola only works with phones that have Qualcomm's quick charge tech built into them, like the new X does. Otherwise it works as a standard charger. Conceivably, then, any charger that supports the tech would work with the new X for rapid charging.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I think someone said it right when they said if the current moto x isn't enough, the new moto x isn't going to magically become that.

There are people who can't charge their phones for 14+ hours, will not be on wifi, may be in a low signal area, but still need to stream netflix for hours or use their device a lot, and then go out after work and not have to worry about battery. I don't think the new or old moto x really fits for that use case. If that was me, I'd get a device with a removable battery.

For other people in a more generic "normal" use, if you can plug it in for 15 minutes before you leave work with the rapid charger you'll be good until after midnight.

I believe I read from DL that it's something Qualcomm announced a bit ago but idt they've released one yet. There were a lot of comments of how it's going to destroy your battery though, so before I go that route I'm hoping I see some more info on the technology being used to do it.

http://www.androidcentral.com/qualcomm-rolls-out-quick-charge-20-support-japan-rest-world-follow
https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/quick-charge

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I think it is a little more power efficient but I don't see the power efficiency improvements on the soc enough to overpower the screen and sensors battery drain.

Yep... it comes back to that screen. No matter how much Motorola fiddles with the background stuff, low-powered cores for sensors, etc.... with that big ol' 1080p screen cranking away, even if it is AMOLED, it's going to use up some juice. I used to have a Nexus 5, powered by the same sized battery. And while I would expect the new X to be a little bit more efficient (based on the LCD vs AMOLED alone), it's not going to be significantly more.

So that turned me off.... and I'm hoping that if a 5.2" screened Nexus is on the horizon, Google wises up and puts in something in the 3000mah neighborhood.

TofuTwit

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
After moving from the MotoX to the OnePlus One, I am admittedly worried about going back down in battery size. But I made do with it the first time around. I'm hoping to be able to return to the MotoX again!

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yep... it comes back to that screen. No matter how much Motorola fiddles with the background stuff, low-powered cores for sensors, etc.... with that big ol' 1080p screen cranking away, even if it is AMOLED, it's going to use up some juice. I used to have a Nexus 5, powered by the same sized battery. And while I would expect the new X to be a little bit more efficient (based on the LCD vs AMOLED alone), it's not going to be significantly more.

So that turned me off.... and I'm hoping that if a 5.2" screened Nexus is on the horizon, Google wises up and puts in something in the 3000mah neighborhood.

Didn't they say the new display was actually MORE power efficient than the old one?

grn4frk

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Didn't they say the new display was actually MORE power efficient than the old one?

Yes, they did say that. However, all newer AMOLEDs like the S5 have the "more efficient" screen and I've seen how long that 2800mah battery lasts. It last about all day which is what I was hoping to get out of the new X. I have a car charger and a charger almost everywhere I go but I was hoping I wouldn't need to always be in the proximity of a charger with a 2014 flagship phone. Software can't fix hardware capacity people. I'm a Motorola fan too but lets not be blind to real issues. No matter how efficient, 2300mah is embarrassing and Motorola should be ashamed of themselves. I didn't need a 3500mah but at least something competitive with a phone that was released in the past two years. It makes no sense to me but I'll probably still give the new X a try. With that said,I'm not very optimistic.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yes, they did say that. However, all newer AMOLEDs like the S5 have the "more efficient" screen and I've seen how long that 2800mah battery lasts. It last about all day which is what I was hoping to get out of the new X. I have a car charger and a charger almost everywhere I go but I was hoping I wouldn't need to always be in the proximity of a charger with a 2014 flagship phone. Software can't fix hardware capacity people. I'm a Motorola fan too but lets not be blind to real issues. No matter how efficient, 2300mah is embarrassing and Motorola should be ashamed of themselves. I didn't need a 3500mah but at least something competitive with a phone that was released in the past two years. It makes no sense to me but I'll probably still give the new X a try. With that said,I'm not very optimistic.

So, if total device power is the same or better, and battery size is the same or better, wouldn't battery life be the same or better?

grn4frk

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
So, if total device power is the same or better, and battery size is the same or better, wouldn't battery life be the same or better?

Yes, I would agree with that statement. However, thats not the case here. The device will NEED more power (bigger screen and 1080p quality) with more or less essentially the same power capacity. I hope it is at least the same as the current X but I doubt it will be better. The VP of Motorola only has one statement to say when people ask him about the new Xs battery capacity and that is "It last long enough for me". Maybe I'm overbeasting this issue but it really bothers me.

Unfortunately, we can't say " just get a different phone, that's the beauty of android" because I can't get a different phone with the Moto features/hardware options that has a respectable battery...unless I wait for the new MAXX Droid but I doubt it'll come in metal/leather and wood options.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Folks are doing the math wrong.

Assumption / common complaint:
Smaller battery + bigger screen = worse battery life

More accurate assumption:
More efficient screen (even at a larger size) + more efficient chip = likely similar battery life in spite of slightly smaller battery.

Still, even that equation is an assumption, and only giving real world users some time with the device will start to yield some really trustworthy data.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie