Moto X battery size ruins everything for me, anyone else?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well, 'more efficient' is a loaded term. Does it use less total power, or less power per pixel (or some discrete amount)? Marketing types like semantic tricks like that. An engine that gets 20mpg could technically be more efficient than one that get 25mpg, it all depends on the metric.

I'll withhold final judgement until I see some good test results. But 2300 is still 2300.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I would agree with that statement. However, thats not the case here. The device will NEED more power (bigger screen and 1080p quality) with more or less essentially the same power capacity. I hope it is at least the same as the current X but I doubt it will be better. The VP of Motorola only has one statement to say when people ask him about the new Xs battery capacity and that is "It last long enough for me". Maybe I'm overbeasting this issue but it really bothers me.

Unfortunately, we can't say " just get a different phone, that's the beauty of android" because I can't get a different phone with the Moto features/hardware options that has a respectable battery...unless I wait for the new MAXX Droid but I doubt it'll come in metal/leather and wood options.

I say lets wait for some real world testing, both professional (like AC) and those that buy the phone at launch. This assumption thing is driving me crazy. Now I know why Apple doesn't always release details of their specs.

And if you don't like it having a 2300mah battery, don't buy the phone. No one is sticking a gun to your head. Go buy the Note 4 if you are worried about numbers.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
It took the verge's battery test 8h44m to run down the new Moto x battery. The same test took 8h16m to drain the g3.

Not real world, but it's the first side by side I can find.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
The Verge review stated the battery life isn't as good as other flagship phones like the HTC One M8, Galaxy S5 etc.

Dealbreaker to me. Not going to swap my phone for one with worse battery life.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
It took the verge's battery test 8h44m to run down the new Moto x battery. The same test took 8h16m to drain the g3.

Not real world, but it's the first side by side I can find.

But they said it doesn't last as long as G3, which is weird.
I would wait for other reviews like GSMarena, Anandtech. If it's no better than G3, S5 on battery, I'm passing new moto X.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
But they said it doesn't last as long as G3, which is weird.
I would wait for other reviews like GSMarena, Anandtech. If it's no better than G3, S5 on battery, I'm passing new moto X.
Because they all vary by user, location, signal strength, antenna, time of day, etc etc. At least from the bench test you can see the thing isn't ridiculously under powered.

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
The Verge review stated the battery life isn't as good as other flagship phones like the HTC One M8, Galaxy S5 etc.

Dealbreaker to me. Not going to swap my phone for one with worse battery life.

I would wait for real life comparisons of battery life for the new moto x before passing judgment. The x line uses the battery differently than other phones on the market. Motorola's 1st gen moto x used battery in way that utilizes the battery, such as active notifications and assist, more efficiently. The new generation seems to use the same concept, but IR sensors seems to further improve the battery drainage. Plus, the hardware may have a few tricks up its sleeves to offset its new ability to project 1080p on a 5.2 inch screen with the latest proc and CPU.

Posted via Android Central App

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
While I fully recognize we don't really know yet...

It only bums me out because as best it will probably "as good as anything else". They could have engineered in a larger battery and made it potentially fantastic, but instead it seems they took the just enough approach. This is not an area I predicted they would skimp on...

I guess they wanted it to match the moto 360 *rib*rib*... Too soon?

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
While I fully recognize we don't really know yet...

It only bums me out because as best it will probably "as good as anything else". They could have engineered in a larger battery and made it potentially fantastic, but instead it seems they took the just enough approach. This is not an area I predicted they would skimp on...

I guess they wanted it to match the moto 360 *rib*rib*... Too soon?

Again, how do you know they 'skimped' on the battery? By the capacity? That only tells part of the story. Next time I buy a car, I'm going to compare it's efficiency and range solely on the size of its tank. Doesn't make sense, does it? No, cause the size of the tank only tells part of the story. Until I see some evidence when it's RELEASED, I see no reason for anyone to complain. Hope, yes, but not complain.

Last edited:

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Again, how do you know they 'skimped' on the battery? By the capacity? That only tells part of the story. Next time I buy a car, I'm going to compare it's efficiency and range solely on the size of its tank. Doesn't make sense, does it? No, cause the size of the tank only tells part of the story. Until I see some evidence when it's RELEASED, I see no reason for anyone to complain. Hope, yes, but not complain.

You can make a pretty good educated guess that battery life will be similar to the previous years phone as there hasnt been any significant break throughs in battery life.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
You can make a pretty good educated guess that battery life will be similar to the previous years phone as there hasnt been any significant break throughs in battery life.

Other than the difference between the S801 and the S600 and according to the experts, more power efficient screen technologies?

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Take something like the s5 to compare since it also uses the 801, has a 1080p super amoled screen which I'm sure will be very similar to the moto x and roughly the same screen size.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

Ok, but most battery complaints have been that the battery won't last as long as the OG X. Not exceeding it. So in other words, you're upset (along with quite a few others) that Motorola made a faster and better screened phone with a minimal battery increase, which appears to get about the same battery life as the original X? That's pretty darn good IMO. I do respect peoples opinions, but I don't understand the complaint on the battery until we see evidence. And I have repeated myself quite a bit on this as well.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
And u think those minor differences are going to make battery life significantly better?

I don't think the difference between the S600 and the S800 is minor at all. It's not going to double SOT, but it is astounding for standby time which contributes greatly to total battery life for most consumers. The two devices will probably be in the same ballpark, but increasing efficiency and increasing battery size by 9-10% should result in a net increase in an already very solid battery life.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the difference between the S600 and the S800 is minor at all. It's not going to double SOT, but it is astounding for standby time which contributes greatly to total battery life for most consumers. The two devices will probably be in the same ballpark, but increasing efficiency and increasing battery size by 9-10% should result in a net increase in an already very solid battery life.

I'm saying I don't think with those minor differences that u can say battery life will be greatly better or worse. I agree upgrading all the things they upgraded and keeping on par or better than the previous model is a good thing. I can't even think about this phone because I need at least 4-5hrs SOT minimum which my s5 barely gets if I'm lucky. I wish more manufactures quit thinking thin is better and there was a few more phones that packed enough juice for us heavy users.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm saying I don't think with those minor differences that u can say battery life will be greatly better or worse. I agree upgrading all the things they upgraded and keeping on par or better than the previous model is a good thing. I can't even think about this phone because I need at least 4-5hrs SOT minimum which my s5 barely gets if I'm lucky. I wish more manufactures quit thinking thin is better and there was a few more phones that packed enough juice for us heavy users.

I agree I'd like to see much better battery life, but I don't like the idea of just throwing weight at it. I want a smarter solution (although yours is better than no solution) - a solid 20-24 hour device with quick charge and the mini power pack things inexpensively available makes this less of a worry. I think there's a SERIOUS market for the MAXX type devices and I really hope to see that one continued.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Take something like the s5 to compare since it also uses the 801, has a 1080p super amoled screen which I'm sure will be very similar to the moto x and roughly the same screen size.

From AC S5 review:
In just over a week of using the device as our daily driver, we've averaged between 13 and 14 hours of heavy use on Wifi and LTE, with between three and four hours of screen-on time. That week was spent performing normal smartphone duties, including web browsing, music streaming the occasional call, and probably heavier photo and video use than we'd normally subject a phone to.

The original X review has a lot so I won't paste it. Moto X review | Android Central

We have no idea on the new X yet. So we cannot, I will stress we cannot do a comparison quite yet. So, again my point is we need to wait for real world testing so we can get the facts before we can complain/praise.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie