Moto X battery size ruins everything for me, anyone else?

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
He says "I have been able to go for a full day with the new Moto X and find it acceptable." Pardon me if I'm not blow away by his enthusiasm. :)

If getting through your day is not good enough for you should ntbe looking at moto x at all .. Look for one next droid maxx phone that Motorola announces

Posted via the Android Central App

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Think how good it would have been with a bigger battery...

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T
That's a ridiculous statement that can be applied to any phone ever made.

"Battery life would be better with a bigger battery" -> common sense.

Getting through an entire day is the goal. Passed that you need two days for it to be meaningful. If the new X gets me through an entire day (first X could do 1.5 sometimes) it's done its job.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Getting through an entire day is the goal. Passed that you need two days for it to be meaningful. If the new X gets me through an entire day (first X could do 1.5 sometimes) it's done its job.

That's what I was trying to get at earlier. If the 1st gen X is sufficient, then anything >= X should be sufficient as well. As a year long X owner, I am well aware of what I need to do to manage battery life - charge it every night. Getting 18-24 hours on the current X is pretty easy/common. I've been over 24 multiple times, but it usally involves '5-6 hours of I was sleeping' and Moto Assist pushes most distractions away during that time. I don't micromanage settings and I will not do that with any phone. GPS is always on, WiFi is always on, LTE is always on, sync is always on.

If you think about it, including the new turbo charger in the calculation, if you are a person who can be near an outlet for more than 15-30 minutes every 48 hours (literally every smartphone owner in america), then this phone will outlast your needs. If you need more than that, then there are other devices and/or external chargers and/or different ways to manage charging opportunities.

The only thing that would make the battery size an experience ruining factor is if battery life tanked and was suddenly 12 hours. As is, it improved. How is improving an experience ruining factor? That's simply absurd.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
...Getting through an entire day is the goal. Passed that you need two days for it to be meaningful. If the new X gets me through an entire day (first X could do 1.5 sometimes) it's done its job.
Sure. But for a lot of us, the Moto X doesn't make it through the day. It's good for about 12 hours of ordinary use for me, so if I'm going to be out in the evening, I need to recharge it.

Everyone's useage is different, but for a lot of us, the 2013 Moto X doesn't do the job, and it doesn't look like the 2014 Moto X will, either.

I wonder if Moto will continue the Droid line, or rename stuff "X"s? I would like to see the 2014 X come in a mini and extended version, especially if those versions aren't restricted to Verizon (which I don't use.)

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
That's a ridiculous statement that can be applied to any phone ever made.

"Battery life would be better with a bigger battery" -> common sense.

Actually, believe it or not, different people have different usage patterns from day to day. Getting through a whole day with "normal" usage is all fine and good, but what about days I need to use my phone more? I guess I am SOL. Do I need to buy expensive accessories to to make it through a day?

Getting through a day is not the goal. The goal is using the phone as much as I ever could and still getting through the day. That way, I never have to worry about my phone dying.

My wife has the original X. She is running to the charger every afternoon after work, and she uses he phone less than I do. So excuse for not being excited about Motorola's "just enough" attitude towards battery life. I can't wait for the day of all these lowest common denominator, "all day" battery life garbage assumptions get put to bed and they give use a phone that will last all day no matter what as a flagship device. They could have at least matched the M8 which seems to be the class leader right now.

nteeman

May 22, 2012
Visit site
At this time in the state of smartphones a brand new phone that 'makes it through the day' is weak! What will you have left a year or more of re-charges? Will it still make it through the day? If your answer is 'well that's when you up upgrade to a new phone' well, no thanks. I want to upgrade when I want to, not when I have to!

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Actually, believe it or not, different people have different usage patterns from day to day. Getting through a whole day with "normal" usage is all fine and good, but what about days I need to use my phone more? I guess I am SOL. Do I need to buy expensive accessories to to make it through a day?

Getting through a day is not the goal. The goal is using the phone as much as I ever could and still getting through the day. That way, I never have to worry about my phone dying.

My wife has the original X. She is running to the charger every afternoon after work, and she uses he phone less than I do. So excuse for not being excited about Motorola's "just enough" attitude towards battery life. I can't wait for the day of all these lowest common denominator, "all day" battery life garbage assumptions get put to bed and they give use a phone that will last all day no matter what as a flagship device. They could have at least matched the M8 which seems to be the class leader right now.

There are high end devices that will last all day off wifi with lots of usage, but there are compromises. I wouldn't use a M8 if someone gave it to me. The compromises needed to make the moto x an 'all day' device to you may make it unbearable to me.

The battery issue will be fixed eventually through advances. But it wont be overnight and until a 6000mah battery is the size of a postage stamp there will be tradeoffs (and even then people like you will be here complaining that they could only jump-start their car once from their phone before needing to recharge...lol).

livetoride4666

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
At this time in the state of smartphones a brand new phone that 'makes it through the day' is weak! What will you have left a year or more of re-charges? Will it still make it through the day? If your answer is 'well that's when you up upgrade to a new phone' well, no thanks. I want to upgrade when I want to, not when I have to!

I rarely go past 6 months before I upgrade so this wouldn't affect me, but it could many people.

Posted via Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm still waiting on controlled tests before I pass judgement. I am sure that it will outperform the similarly outfitted Nexus 5 (AMOLED vs IPS LCD at min), but the question is "How much more?" I mean, I could get a day out of my Nexus 5, but more often than I would have liked, I had to manage things a bit to get there. I've moved to a G3, which gets me to late at night with charge to spare, so my next phone would have to be able to get to point where I don't have to battery-watch....

I have one jump left between now and next July, which I plan in exercising later this year (because new phone), and my sights are squarely set on the new Nexus, hoping the 5.2" beastmode rumors are true... but if that turns out to be vaporware, the Moto X would be my next most likely candidate (if at all).

grn4frk

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm still waiting on controlled tests before I pass judgement. I am sure that it will outperform the similarly outfitted Nexus 5 (AMOLED vs IPS LCD at min), but the question is "How much more?" I mean, I could get a day out of my Nexus 5, but more often than I would have liked, I had to manage things a bit to get there. I've moved to a G3, which gets me to late at night with charge to spare, so my next phone would have to be able to get to point where I don't have to battery-watch....

I have one jump left between now and next July, which I plan in exercising later this year (because new phone), and my sights are squarely set on the new Nexus, hoping the 5.2" beastmode rumors are true... but if that turns out to be vaporware, the Moto X would be my next most likely candidate (if at all).

I hate to burst your bubble but you can't "Jump" to a Moto X since T-Mobile doesn't "officially" carry it. Its very disappointing as I was wanting to switch to T-Mobile from Verizon but since you have to buy a new phone from them, they won't pay my ETF fee unless I buy a different phone and same applies for Jump. 😖

Posted via the Android Central App - Moto X

grn4frk

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

There are high end devices that will last all day off wifi with lots of usage, but there are compromises. I wouldn't use a M8 if someone gave it to me. The compromises needed to make the moto x an 'all day' device to you may make it unbearable to me.

The battery issue will be fixed eventually through advances. But it wont be overnight and until a 6000mah battery is the size of a postage stamp there will be tradeoffs (and even then people like you will be here complaining that they could only jump-start their car once from their phone before needing to recharge...lol).

I don't know why but I died laughing at your last sentence. I think because its something I can imagine myself and some of my friends saying haha

Posted via the Android Central App

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

"All day no matter what" = 24 hours of screen on time?

Just curious, what phone do you have now and can you use the phone as much as you ever could and get through the entire day?

Also, I understand that people have different usage patterns. If the X doesn't do what they want there are other options. By all accounts the new X has better battery life than the old X, so if the old X wasn't enough don't bother with the new one. Safe assumption right?

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Re: Pre-orders will start on Tuesday. Who's ordering

gsmarena_001.jpg
Moto X (2014) review: Have it your way - page 3 - GSMArena.com

"Undoubtedly, the reduced battery capacity compared to today's standards is the price the new Moto X paid for being so good looking. The manufacturer aims to offset this shortcoming by offering additional accessories that include a rapid charger and a mini battery pack."

I think this about seals the nail in the coffin. I'm going to pass on the Moto X. Motorola really made a misstep with the battery and they should pay for it.

Jonathan Lin1

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site

View attachment 136946
Moto X (2014) review: Have it your way - page 3 - GSMArena.com

"Undoubtedly, the reduced battery capacity compared to today's standards is the price the new Moto X paid for being so good looking. The manufacturer aims to offset this shortcoming by offering additional accessories that include a rapid charger and a mini battery pack."

I think this about seals the nail in the coffin. I'm going to pass on the Moto X. Motorola really made a misstep with the battery and they should pay for it.

Mmm, it's an upgrade for me. It's higher than my nexus 4.. which is rated at 32h, and nexus 5 at 40h... I'll take anything.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

Mmm, it's an upgrade for me. It's higher than my nexus 4.. which is rated at 32h, and nexus 5 at 40h... I'll take anything.

Still works for me. Might get the turbo charger if I find that I need it. Otherwise its an upgrade over my M7.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool